Lightweight Stand Bags

Preface: I joined a new club and will not be able to use my push cart, and because I would rather stick it to the man I'm going to start walking again. I own a SM 4.5 LS at the moment, which has pretty much all the bells and whistles you could want but by most accounts it's about 5.5lbs dry. I've been doing research on bags the last couple of weeks and information is scattered around, especially on the new 2020 bags in this category. I'd hope others can add their experience or info as well. I will try to have a write up on each bag- from research and any handling in store, I obviously can not afford to try all these darn bags!Criteria:

Target bag weight= 4lbs maximum (lower the better)Double strap (no Sunday bags)14-club carry capabilityBudget ~$250, niche bags not likely to be considered due to weight and price. Contenders

Sun Mountain 2.5+Sun Mountain 3.5 LSTitleist Players Carbon (NEW)Titleist Players 4Taylormade Flextech LiteNike Sport Lite (NEW)Mizuno K1-LO (NEW)PING Craz-E-Lite (NEW)Callaway Hyperlite Zero

Edited by GooseHook

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

SUN MOUNTAIN 2.5+Product PagePrice: $230, generally consistent unless you buy a previous year's model or can stomach a particularly ugly color schemeWeight: 2.5-2.7lbs (reported), 3.8-4.0lbs (14-way)Top: 4-way, 9.0"; 14-way, 10.5"Pros: one of the lightest, if not THE lightest double strap stand bag. Generous sized top for such a small bag, the 2.5+ is widely reported to excel at preventing club tangle. 2019 and later versions appear to have fixed a strap slipping issue identified in prior year models. For this setup you get a zippered ball pocket, water bottle pocket, and attachments on the bag for tees and gloves during the round. Sun Mountain has an excellent build quality reputation. Cons: No rangefinder pocket-If you use a rangefinder, you will either need to use another pocket or the towel clip for external attachment. Most of the negative reviews I've read complained about the bag's balance once loaded out, which YMMV. Straps on the 2.5+ are the thinnest X-Strap, but if you have another SM bag or want to place a phone call to customer service you can get EZ-Fit straps to install on the bag. Subjectively, the 14-way top on the bag this size kind of negates its purpose in the first place and could be difficult if you have a chunky putter headcover; colors are a matter of preference .

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

SUN MOUNTAIN 3.5 LSProduct PagePrice: $240, generally consistent unless you buy a previous year's model Weight: 3.5 stated, closer to 3.7-8 reportedTop: 4-way, 9.0"; "Pros: This bag takes the base of the 2.5+ and basically adds the "luxury pack." Slightly more padded strap and hip pad, and you also get a quick-access rangefinder pocket. One additional tee pocket, and the valuables pocket gets a slight upgrade to water resistant. I'm a righty but this bag offers a rare lefty option. Cons: For the additional weight, you don't get any changes in the top size or configuration. 9" is still above average for this bag segment though. The most common complaint BY FAR is the tendency of the apparel pocket to get caught in the legs, almost 100% of the time the bag gets picked up. I have not found any information on if this has ever been acknowledged by SM, much less fixed. Like the 2.5+, this bag has carbon fiber legs which will drive the price up. Again, colors and straps are mostly up to the user to decide.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

consider me glued to your thread. i cant seem to pull the trigger and don't want to be buying and shipping back bags after a walk or two. i have a clic gear 3.5 but would consider, with the right bag, to walk and carry instead. the SM 2.5+ seems to be the industry standard in this category, but im not a big fan of the color options or feel of the material, but that may be a necessity with how light weight the bag is. the 4 way top seems to be sort of generous for the size bag.

i really have my eye on the mizuno k1-lo as i prefer the looks of the bag, but haven't been able to find one in person yet to check out the straps. the lack of tangle from the straps will be a huge deal for me. i currently have a Titleist players 4 and i get annoyed with the tangling of the straps. the carbon interests me, but havent been able to see one in person and still want to see those straps.

the TM flextech lite is the most impressive light weight bag i have seen in person from a pocket standpoint and materials, but its just over 4lbs.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I'm biased to sun mountain as I think they make the best all around bags. If you don't need to carry much in the bag other than clubs and a few balls, maybe a very light coat, the 2.5+ will be great. Very light, very sturdy.

Only reason I got rid of mine was because I started pushing and that bag is not ideal for that application.

TITLEIST PLAYERS 4 CARBONProduct PagePrice: $245Weight: 2.8 lbsTop: 4-way, Diameter unknownPros: Probably the most color options for a new bag launch, and these seem to be in stock through a host of retailers. Dividers are claimed to be full-length, and you still get a water bottle pocket although it's just mesh. Rigid towel loop, velcro glove holder, and a full length apparel pocket. Cons: Being an entirely new model, little info is out there on the Carbon. The strap design appears to be different than the other Titleist bags and will most likely be quite thin. Material quality is unknown, and the top does appear to be smaller than the regular Players 4. However, the Titleist bag tops tend to be lower profile and may not cause bunching of headcovers . Hopefully the price is warranted. I'm nitpicky here, but if you prefer to have feet on your stand legs you'll need to find them aftermarket.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Is the sport the mesh one? I just hate that material to keep clean, because I do not want a black bag.

Ya its mesh. IMO regardless of that its still the best bag. And they do have two additional colors coming out; grey/yellow and blue/light blue they just arent here yet.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

The straps in general are great. No issues from me. I will say I wish the sport lite came with the straps from the air hybrid or the other sport bag Nike makes. The sport lite straps are just mesh padded and the others are a nicer bubble material.

Either way - I own 2 of these bags for a reason and I'm buying a third from my pro shop in a few weeks from this new batch.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Nike said this about the old bags "A five-way, two full-length divider system with putter well maximizes club visibility and organization. " I've never checked tbh

WIll try to get preliminary overviews for each of the other 5 bags up by tonight, and tomorrow I'm stealing my wife's luggage scale to go kick tires at the golf shop.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

TITLEIST PLAYERS 4 /STADRYProduct PagePrice: $200, $255 for StaDry Weight: 3.8 lbsTop: 4-way, 9"Pros: Most direct competitor to the 3.5LS. Full length dividers, rangefinder pocket, and about 20 different color combinations if you include the StaDray. The regular model is competitively priced, but you will be in the high end of the range if you opt for the (quite impressive) StaDry options. You can't spell Titleist without elitist, so..Cons: Three most common complaints kept appearing in research: 1) Straps are loathed and tend to twist excessively, 2) the water bottle pocket sucks, and 3) the rangefinder pocket is almost too deep and results in extra fiddling on the golfers' part. This combination hits three of the biggest touch points during a round of golf and require a lot of thought before purchasing. Also, while the bag looks great and the color schemes are attractive the scripted branding is gigantic and not for everyone.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

2H0P42LLCFUT.jpeg

DO1WO7I4SZQ4.jpeg

EA29W2SH5ARM.jpeg

3ZQ44MW72R41.jpeg

ZS8MADCY1OCE.jpeg

E6F33JLFLC5X.jpeg

ERZ8RWWUU9WM.jpeg

well, was finally able to lay eyes on a Carbon and a K1-Lo.

quickly ruled out the Carbon as the opening is the smallest and it feels heavier. But can’t be by much. However, the kicker is they have the same straps as my players 4. First 3 times i tried them on the left arm pad flipped and reversed. hate the Titleist straps. The large pocket was the smallest between the three as well.

the mizuno k1-Lo has the best most padded straps by a landslide. Probably has the biggest large pocket Definitely has the bigger ball pocket. The legs I’m sure are just fine but the bag was so light weight that when the legs are extended they would slightly retract because there was no weight keeping them open I assume this is a nothingburger once the bag is loaded prefer the looks to the mizuno best as well But man, love the padding on the straps

the 2.5+ has the best opening to me by far. Larger than the other 2. Beat legs, imo as well. I don’t know about balancing issues which i often read about this but did notice the strap attach the the grab handle. Much higher up than everyone else’s bag which straps attach below. It feels weird putting on the bag when empty as the opening is right under your elbow. Feels like it should be moved further to the right.

• Like 2

TAYLORMADE FLEXTECH LITEProduct PagePrice: $200Weight: 4.1 lbsTop: 4-way, 9.0"Pros: For being the porker of the list, this bag checks pretty much all the features. Full length dividers, 8 pockets, and a solid stand system (I used to own its big brother). For the purposes of this thread we're talking about the current generation of this bag, which has an open access rangefinder pocket. Those who choose the prior version will not get that feature. Flextech straps are typically well-received in the comfort department and this model has a self-adjusting design for balance. Decent amount of color options with a mix of bold and understated. Same price as the Players 4, but you can probably get a slight deal if you contact the right retailer. You can get a free embroidered panel through Taylormade, which is a nice feature. Cons: heaviest of the whole lot, and slightly heavier than the limit I set. However, it's within range and is targeted towards this segment; thick padding can account for an ounce here and there. Scanning through some reviews there could be concerns about stand leg durability- should be covered by TM but I imagine most buyers would not want to be out of a golf bag waiting for a warranty replacement. If you use chunky grips, the folding base could crowd a bit.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

NIKE AIR SPORT LITEProduct PagePrice: $160Weight: "Under 4" lbsTop: 5-way, 8.5" diameterPros: Hey, the first sub-$200 bag yet! Apparently this is a resurrected model for 2020, based off of a proven legacy design. This bag has a full feature set, a couple of velour lined pockets, water bottle pouch, etc. The stand mechanism is external, so no concerns about folding bases here. Unique strap design- the "Equaflex" is a sort of uni-strap that purports to balance very well. The divider system on this bag is the most unique, allowing for a putter well-type setup where most golfers keep their most used club. Cons: Colors are binary right now, until more are released. The white looks amazing but buy scotchguard before this thing even breathes fresh air. Potential crowding in a sub-9 inch top, but that is yet to be seen.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

MIZUNO K1-LOProduct PagePrice: $220Weight: 2.7 lbsTop: 4-way, 9"Pros: Punching right at the 2.5+ and Carbon for the weight award, with the thickest padding of those three (thanks @Minarets !) External stand mechanism, full length apparel pocket and a decent sized top. Doesn't appear to have any discounting features or trade-offs upon first impression. Cons: Perhaps a lack of additional features or colorways, but that appears to be the tradeoff- under 3 lbs, don't expect a rangefinder pocket. Which may be a good thing, considering a rangefinder could cause a superlight bag to feel bottom-heavy. May not be readily available to handle before buying, but this looks like a promising option if it's in the buyer's budget. New bags need longer track records before declaring them free of "bugs."

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

PING HOOFER CRAZ-E-LITEProduct PagePrice: $250 (others are quoting as low as $225 online with direct drop shipping)Weight: 3.0 lbsTop: 4-way, diameter unknownPros: More than most, PING bags carry a bit of a cult following- mostly due to being so well thought out. Another superlight with carbon fiber legs. If you don't mind carrying the rain hood at all times, this one stores in the hip pad like some other Hoofers of the past. Straps are thin but have a sort of Purple mattress type material in them and a new joining disc. Unlike some of the others in the low weight class, there are two pockets on the spine instead of just one big ball pocket. Cons: There are very few photos of this bag out there but the base mechanism looks like it could be a club congestion point. For towels you simply get a piece of bungee cord.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

CALLAWAY HYPERLITE ZEROProduct PagePrice: $250, $289 for Waterproof Hyper Dry CWeight: 3.0 lbs (4.0 for Hyper Dry)Top: 4-way, diameter unknownPros: Lots of pockets on this little bugger, including a "cell phone sleeve" that I imagine you could use for rangefinders. Two spine pockets (for 2020), unique divider design that has some legitimacy for reducing club chatter, and photos of the straps look like Callaway did not skimp on padding. Cons: For a walking bag, some velcro would be nice but you can grab some velcro tape for a nice WRX-hack. The top diameter looks somewhat narrow, so it's unclear if it's a 9" or something less. Reviews complain at some length about poor quality zippers which could be a dealbreaker. This is the priciest one of the bunch so far.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

The carbon is listed at 2.8lbs but felt heavier to me than the k1-L0 and the 2.5+.

the carbon also had the smallest opening. I will say the materials felt better on the carbon tho. It just felt too many compromises for me.

Man, o man, the Swift X. I still have black electrical tape on the spring-thingy that kicks out the legs to hold it together and keep it working. I just can't rid of that bag. I did try out the 2.5+ recently and it comes realllly close. I may just see about swapping the straps out with those from my Swift X, but that bag will fall apart at the seams before I get rid of it.

• Like 1

Glad you finally found the bags to see in person! I have had most of the bags on your list @GooseHook. Titleist look great, but strap tangle is a significant issue. Hoofers are a mainstay, but heavy. My 2 favorites are the Nike and k1-LO. I walk a ton, and Mizuno is hard to beat. I use the bev pocket to hold my rangefinder and a water bottle will still fit in there or in the apparel pocket as needed. Straps are awesome, and the balance is good. One issue, I use the small mesh pocket in the ball pocket to hold tees, markers, etc. the bottom ripped away, so the tees ball into the ball pocket now. Took it back to the shop where i purchased it, about to find out Mizuno customer service...stay tuned.

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

One other thing, the location for the glove attachment with the Mizuno is ideal for walkers. Small detail, but that’s what this is about, right?

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

• GooseHook changed the title to Lightweight Stand Bags