Courses with two 18's

bowilbury8 ·  
bowilbury8bowilbury8  85WRX Points: 19Members Posts: 85 Fairways

A local course I play has two 18 hole courses. One is a legit full 18 and the other is more of an executive 18. I've come to really appreciate this because most of the riff raff, your jeans/tank top cigarette smoking people will go and play the executive course, while the longer 18 is made for the moderate to advanced player. I know not every course has the space or resources to do this, but it's a nice luxury.

Posted:

Comments

• Steele47Steele47  1734WRX Points: 867Members Posts: 1,734 Platinum Tees

Cool.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20432WRX Points: 4,348ClubWRX Posts: 20,432 ClubWRX

"riff raff" - nice

Joins site, stars some little rant threads - I think I'll stop biting after this one, lol.

You have fun.

Posted:
  • bowilbury8bowilbury8  85WRX Points: 19Members Posts: 85 Fairways
    Posted:
  • FergusonFerguson  5679WRX Points: 2,974Handicap: 6.8Members Posts: 5,679 Titanium Tees

Was caught behind 4 moderate players last week. They all played in the middle.

Posted:
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, Ca 3544WRX Points: 162Handicap: 4.1ClubWRX Posts: 3,544 ClubWRX

we have a local course that has a setup similar. Most of the time it’s the younger golfers who are on it but i do see an occasional group go out.

Posted:
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Tec 4/5 irons Recoil 110 F5
    Cobra MB/CB 6-GW Recoil 110 F5
    TaylorMade Ghost Long Hosel 
    Tigers Golfball
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down.  1900WRX Points: 696Members Posts: 1,900 Platinum Tees

They call that shorter course the Millenial course here due to their unwillingness to put in the time to complete a full and proper round of golf.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Michigan 4664WRX Points: 2,174Members Posts: 4,664 Titanium Tees

There's a dual course nearby that has an executive along with a regulation. The Mrs. plays in her golf league on the executive. Periodically play with her on Sunday afternoons carrying a short set of irons, just for the practice. Can play a walking "round" in a couple of hours. Green fees are modest. Surrounded by other like minded members of the hoi polloi, parents teaching youngsters how to play golf, seniors out for an "easy" round, those of middling abilities that may be intimated by playing a full length course. And not once have I observed tank top wearing, cig smoking, "riff-raff" while so doing. The OP's golfing world must be substantively different than mine. Thank goodness.

There should be more decent quality executive courses available for play. Might be a way to actually grow the game.

Posted:
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

It's a college town, so you have your typical college students, townies, people without proper knowledge of golf etiquette.

Posted:

Doubt that OP's take is even accurate, but then it wouldn't be "fun".

Posted:

Hawkeye77 is laying down the law. Let's all take notice. We should be so lucky to live up to his standards.

Posted:

Golfers described as "riff riff"? - not in my world.

ONLY "riff-raff" playing the executive course, and as you describe these fine folks? BS.

Just expressing an opinion and no reason not to expect higher standards than your OP on this forum, lol. Not needing to set the bar too high for that.

Posted:

Advertisement

You obviously didn't read the OP. Not every person who plays the executive course is riff raff, there are certainly plenty of juniors or seniors out there who are regular golfers, no problem with that. The post clearly states those who tend to be trouble makers tend to go and play the executive instead of the full course, and that's a nice thing to have based on purely observation. You also don't seem to be able to add your two cents into a discussion without some kind of jerk remark.

Posted:
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down.  1900WRX Points: 696Members Posts: 1,900 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    Posted:

Millennials get a bad rap, and some of it certainly deserved. But like it or not, if you want golf to survive for future generations, it has to be taken up with millennials.

Posted:

Well, as long as they aren't "riff raff" or any other kind of people you don't think belong in the game, or at least on the same course as you.

Most guys I know wear jeans (spring and fall in particular) when golfing - not "riff riff". Tank tops? Don't care but again, pretty much BS. Smokers? None of my business.

Are all "those people" poor at etiquette? Sportmanship? Unintelligent? Not as cool as you? See, nothing in your post (I read it just fine) finds fault with any of those folks as golfers ...... JUST AS PEOPLE YOU JUDGE BY THEIR CLOTHES AND THE FACT THEY SMOKE and since there isn't a single complaint about their character or their conduct that means you judge them the same way any place you encounter them.

Take a hike.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Steele47Steele47  1734WRX Points: 867Members Posts: 1,734 Platinum Tees

lol.. Just keeps on biting.

Posted:
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14984WRX Points: 995ClubWRX Posts: 14,984 ClubWRX

Riff raff here. I guess I must be since I wear jeans.

Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Me too, and we've just got the one 18 where I play, but my friends and I have a deal with the course where we tee off really early and really late and walk close to the trees so nobody has to see us (maybe a couple of guys' embers glowing, lol).

Posted:
  • dosmandosman Yakima, WA 43WRX Points: 48Members Posts: 43 Bunkers

"(maybe a couple of guys' embers glowing, lol)"

Nice line and a couple of "sporting" back-to-back posts. Good stuff, thanks.

Posted:
    TM Burner SF 2.0 – 9.5, 10.5, 15, 16.5, 18, 21 (all stock Ozik 4.8 stiff)
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour – 3-PW (stock S300 AMT)
    Mizuno T7 – 50-7, 54-8, 56-14, 58-8, 60-6
    putter – Spalding Elite IV
    ball – Pro V1
    favorite course: Indian Canyon, Spokane
    yes, way over the limit
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 Florida 383WRX Points: 195Handicap: 19Members Posts: 383 Greens

John Riff Raff Daly won 2 majors

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

Advertisement
  • caniac6caniac6  3268WRX Points: 908Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,268 Titanium Tees

I belonged to a private club that was struggling financially. For awhile, it allowed a limited amount of outside play Mon- Thurs. The Pro called all outside players Riff-Raff. I told him he should treat every outside player that walked through the door as a potential new member. That pro is no longer in the golf business.

Posted:
  • jazzy1488jazzy1488  28WRX Points: 30Members Posts: 28 Bunkers

Good point here but poorly worded. Until we stop calling it "Riff Raff", golf will still have the same stuffy connotation. I'm close to a 27 hole par 3 facility which is fully lit with a big driving range and the riff-raff is what keeps it afloat. I've been an avid player for my whole life and it just pleases me to see courses full, regardless of what type of player is out there. I love the classic golf courses and country clubs, but its great to drink a few beers and beat some balls at this place too.

Posted:

Ever hear of the broken window theory? Once you start to allow decay and are OK with it, it only brings in more and more. I won't apologize for trying to hold up golf to a high standard it deserves.

Posted:

Yea John Daly is certainly a role model and a very stable person. Let's all emulate him.

Posted:
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 Florida 383WRX Points: 195Handicap: 19Members Posts: 383 Greens

Broken windows is one of the more controversial theories in criminal justice.

I think we all agree that etiquette such as repairing pitch marks and divots and not littering are all important. Pace of play and following specific course rules I.e. dress code as well.

the idea that what one wears, or drinks, or smokes, makes them a better or worse person is a big problem not just in golf but the world. You’re entitled to your opinion but I prefer judging people on their actions and regard/disregard for the rules in front of them

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

Advertisement
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.  2616WRX Points: 490Members Posts: 2,616 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

Yes, now you are calling people who wear jeans, or tank tops or smoke criminals. Go away.

Posted:
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, Illinois 6153WRX Points: 1,429Handicap: 10Members Posts: 6,153 Titanium Tees

Where in the **** are some of these guys coming from? Paddy move?

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X

Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right

Advertisement
  • jmtbkrjmtbkr Palm Beach Gardens 806WRX Points: 105Members Posts: 806 Golden Tee
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 60S
    Callaway X20 3-SW
    Scotty Cameron California Fastback
    Supersoft

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.