Need help shallowing

Foozie22 ·  
Foozie22Foozie22 NY 14WRX Points: 19Handicap: 30+Members Posts: 14 Bunkers
Joined:  edited Feb 13, 2020 4:15am in Swing Videos and Comments #1

I've been trying to keep my right elbow in front and with external rotation but I'm not even sure if I'm doing what im supposed to be doing. Any help appreciated

Posted:

Comments

• laneholtlaneholt  699WRX Points: 96Members Posts: 699 Golden Tee

Foozie,

Hitting lots of pulls an hooks over there to the left ?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • syenkocsyenkoc  182WRX Points: 69Members Posts: 182 Fairways

You are actually doing a very good job of keeping the club in front of you, and you actually are shallowing a the club a bit in transition. The issue I'm seeing is that the club face is quite shut at the top: You can see that you have the "sunburnt clubface" where the face is pointed up to the sky; whereas the ideal position is closer to toe down. Hitting from the inside or slot with a shut face is recipe for hooks. In order to get the face squarer at the top, I believe you will need some additional (or more to the point proper) arm rotation. The key is that this rotation comes from the shoulder, rather than the forearms/wrist.

Here is a very good explanation from Monte:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px50pNlcqPo

And here is Chris Ryan with some similar thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfW0c_heh7I

Posted:

Well - I might have some disagreement with that. Hogan slung / pulled the shaft back around behind his torso and It hardly got above his shoulders. His shaft was pulled down around in a flat manner with the intent to hit the inside quadrant of the ball. Dufner , Ricky, Sergio and most others do also.

We might consider some FACTS also— approx. 80 % of the brain of the average person is dedicated to their dominant HAND . Be it right or left .It is the external brain for the Human. The task of raising / lifting / pulling the shaft back is performed by the intent of our dominant hand. Our dominant bicep muscle does the lifting. The old cliches about the left side being the key needs to be buried somewhere and never be mentioned again. I doubt If TW could propel it 300 yards without the dominant use of his RIGHT HAND to control the entire action. HANDS must not be used to hit with- just to control the lever and the DOMINANT HAND is responsible for that !

I could be wrong , but these are my thoughts!

Lane

Posted:
  • Foozie22Foozie22 NY 14WRX Points: 19Handicap: 30+Members Posts: 14 Bunkers

Yeah that seems to be a consistent miss either a pull, or a snap hook most days. Never really hit a left to right ball.

Posted:

Foozie

I knew the answer to the question I asked. It was so obvious. If your goal is , “ to keep the club in front of you,” you are doing a good job. However, I suggest you watch Fowler , Hogan DTL. If you continue to PULL the shaft back steep upright then you had better do some serious looping/ rerouting on your DS in order to place your right elbow into your right hip area to shallow your DS .I will never understand this , “ keep the club in front of your hands ‘ “ stuff . Why take it straight back steep when our intention should be to PULL the HEEL of the club face into the INSIDE QUADRANT of the ball knowing that - ** IT IS THE TURNING OF THE TORSO THAT PROVIDE THE POWER — AND SQUARES THE FACE AT IMPACT, NOT THE HANDS !

The swing is a circle around our torso on an inclined plane - not up and down like a Ferris Wheel. Exception - their are a few great players who have a more upright steeper angle into impact and some of those have had serious back problems because of it and others may in the future. Not Worth the chance.

The angle of the DS to impact of almost every great player is very much the same within a few degrees. Wouldn’t it make some sense to take the shaft back inside to the position we need to make the correct inside out DS ? Yet we are told to ** not get the club stuck behind us “! Hogan did . He hardly got hands above his shoulders back behind him . Was his club ** STUCK ** behind him ? You betcha it was . Just a quick glance will confirm that.

Set yourself up to the ball in a position where your ARMS will have a clear path in your DS ( they must ) to allow the face to be PULLED from inside into the INSIDE Quadrant of the ball . Your intent should be to Slide the face down under the inside Quadrant of the ball and around. Visualize the HEEL of the face leading down inside and around left in front of the ball . Your torso ( turning inner circle ) will square the shot for you . Your INTENT should never, ever be to HIT the BACK OF THE BALL. Lead the butt end down around in front

Ball with the intent of sweeping it off the ground. Either this or deal with the FACTS that your HANDS are rolling over , turning down and your torso is doing the same . Double trouble . Squaring the face is NOT the job of the HANDS !

Wishing you great success ,

Lane

Posted:

Thank you very much, I appreciate both insights into my swing.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tthomasgolfer605tthomasgolfer605  73WRX Points: 48Handicap: ProMembers Posts: 73 Bunkers

Do you have a face on? I bet your upper body is lunging forward.

Posted:
    Posted:
  • aggiegolfer21aggiegolfer21  114WRX Points: 48Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 114 Fairways

Drop your hands down to your right hip pocket to start the downswing, then turn and hit the ball. The steepness of the shaft is not the problem.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.