MacGregor "Tour Forged" (not "Tourney")

bradmeehan ·  
bradmeehanbradmeehan  14WRX Points: 21Members Posts: 14 Bunkers

Saw these at a thrift store and I hadn't come across them before in my vintage iron hunting. The irons are labeled as "Tour Forged" and the woods say "Keysite".

I didn't see them in my Kaplan book. Any history from one of the Mac experts here? Are they sought after? They're in great shape! Haven't hit them yet.

Thanks in advance!

Posted:

Comments

• BIG STUBIG STU  12556WRX Points: 3,172Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 12,556 Titanium Tees

I have a set of those irons but do not know a lot about them other than mine have the boxed grooved faces on them like a 985 Tourney Custom. When I say boxed grooves that does not have anything to do with the groove shape itself but having the lines vertical at the end of the grooves instead of the famous Macgregor Diamonds. I had forgotten I had a set of those until you posted yours

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Cleveland 588 56* TTDG Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe rusty and lead taped named "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • bradmeehanbradmeehan  14WRX Points: 21Members Posts: 14 Bunkers

1. I knew you'd know something about them!

2. Here's a pic of the grooves (boxed?)

Posted:
  • ShallowfaceShallowface  1527WRX Points: 252Members Posts: 1,527 Platinum Tees

The MacGregor Tour woods and irons were from the mid 1980s and were one of those lines that were in between the pro line items in the catalog and the dealer line merchandise. A quality offering for the customer that wanted such but didn't want to pay top of the line prices. Discount chains offered a lot of that sort of choice back then.

They were available through Special Tee Golf stores in the Midwest and in Florida, but that may not be the only place they could be found. It's just where I remember seeing them. I strongly considered buying a set of them back then.

The "Classic" wedges were a pro line offering that were in the MacGregor catalog during the mid 1980s.

Posted:
  • bradmeehanbradmeehan  14WRX Points: 21Members Posts: 14 Bunkers

Good info. You guys are true historians and I appreciate all the insight.

I hit a few into my net in the garage and they have a nice, soft feel. They felt better with higher swing speed than slower.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.