Inside look at Callaway's AI technology, just a picture.

dre72 ·  
dre72dre72  528WRX Points: 102Handicap: +2.7Members Posts: 528 Golden Tee

So I was at my local Dick's trying to dial in my SIM driver on their LM. As I was talking to the manager about the numbers I noticed a Epic Flash SZ that the crown was broken off. Out of curiosity i picked it up and took a pic of the AI technologically advanced face. First time I had seen the inside of one of these and snapped a quick pic. Before anyone accuses me of being the culprit, I swear it wasn't

Posted:

Comments

• AmazinBlueAmazinBlue  1166WRX Points: 157Handicap: 11Members Posts: 1,166 Platinum Tees

Is it just me, or does that not look all that technologically advanced? Marketing scam?

Posted:
    Taylormade SLDR 460 Tour Issue Pro Launch Blue 44.25"
    Cobra F9 14.5  Tensei Blue AV S 42.75"
    Cobra F9 5/6 Atmos Blue S 42.50"
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P790 5-AW Under Construction
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide 33.5" 
    Maxfli Tour
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • FuscinatorFuscinator  64WRX Points: 41Handicap: My backswing Members Posts: 64 Bunkers

Pretty soon, the machines will take over, playing golf and using us as their slaves/caddies.

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2  32166WRX Points: 1,996Members Posts: 32,166 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• FuscinatorFuscinator  64WRX Points: 41Handicap: My backswing Members Posts: 64 Bunkers
    Posted:
  • jvincentjvincent  1320WRX Points: 626Members Posts: 1,320 Platinum Tees

There are other pictures of the back of the face that show the irregular shape better. Based on the performance, I'd say there is definitely some technology going on.

Is the whole "AI" thing a marketing scam? I'm tempted to say yes, at least a bit. The marketing talks about how AI helped design the face blah, blah, blah. I suspect that the "AI" is really just a set of parameterized finite element analysis runs with some post processing to filter out bad results. Run enough jobs and you get millions (?) of virtual prototype runs of a face design that you can choose a small subset for testing.

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 18* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• ry1808ry1808  417WRX Points: 67Handicap: 0.1Members Posts: 417 Greens

Working for an engineering company that uses AI this is 100% true what Callaway are doing.

The art to good AI is refining the end criteria of how they want the face to react. There is real skill going on here and some fantastic engineering principles.

In the AI world we will get to a stage where algorithms will be able to solve problems faster and more efficient that humans. The difficulty is, as I said, defining the parameters for these algorithms.

I predict the next area of golf development with AI is the ball. It wouldn’t surprise me if it isn’t going on already, we just don’t know about it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue  1166WRX Points: 157Handicap: 11Members Posts: 1,166 Platinum Tees

Okay, good to know. Glad it's not just hype

Posted:
    Maxfli Tour
  • ThreeBoxersThreeBoxers  120WRX Points: 35Members Posts: 120 Fairways

It's "Artificial Intelligence" in the sense that the computer knows to try a new geometric pattern to further optimize previous computation results based on the defined parameters, as has been mentioned. Is it Skynet? No. Is it JARVIS in Tony Stark's home? Also no. Is it even Siri? No. It's iterative computing done in an automated manner that would take a human much much much longer to run manually. It's probably new in golf R&D and honestly a good idea, but if you swing by an engineering college, you can swing a dead cat and hit a grad student who's running some kind of iterative computing MATLAB program.

In my (very humble as I am but a lowly mechanical engineer and not a computer scientist) opinion, referring to iterative computing as true AI is a bit of a stretch seeing as I'd wager money that Callaway's face design algorithm won't be passing any Turing tests...

Full disclosure, I'm very biased against marketing. Had to schedule a meeting in a conference room over by our marketing department and some of the posters they have up just made me shake my head.

Posted:
  • Ger21Ger21  312WRX Points: 134Handicap: 10.5Members Posts: 312 Greens

Google "Generative Design".

Posted:
    Bridgestone Tour B XD-7 9°- HZRDUS Red 65 6.0
    Bridgestone Tour B XD-F 15° 3w - HZRDUS Red 75 6.0
    Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
    Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 Onyx
    Yururi Tour 56 & 60, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
    Grips - Iomic iXx
    Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
    Srixon Q Star Tour (testing)
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam SoCal 614WRX Points: 218Handicap: 2.7Members Posts: 614 Golden Tee

Their AI is just a machine learning algorithm that is adjusting a meshed surface for variable thickness of the linked nodes. It changes thickness of "X" nodes based on impact parameters with the end goal of being highest speed output from the collision. It just iterates for thousands, millions? of times before it is "optimized". It is just min-maxing a solution which has been done for years in other industries but it is finally becoming cheap enough to utilize it for consumer products.

Posted:
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub  3133WRX Points: 1,280Handicap: 1.7Members Posts: 3,133 Titanium Tees

Exactly, this is why it is frustrating to hear things like what @AmazinBlue said above. This is why companies work SO hard sometimes to make their tech look $exy, because it rarely does! Its engineering nuance to squeeze the most out of something within a limited set of parameters, it is not going to look like a Michelangelo.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage DC 80TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 100XTS || Srixon Z U65 Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 26*- 36* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 40*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread

Advertisement
  • J13J13 Dad golf Maryland 16107WRX Points: 1,120Handicap: +1.6Members Posts: 16,107 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Driver - Under construction
    Fairway wood - Under construction
    Irons - Under Construction
    Wedges - Under Construction
    Odyssey Versa 6
    Srixon Zstar XV

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Instagram-
    On -, @Jminis13

• Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal. 906WRX Points: 122Handicap: 7.4Members Posts: 906 Golden Tee

Python is what most of us use these days. It’s more compatible with Keras and Tensorflow. Not saying I’m a grad student. I’d be one of the oldest LOL

I agree with your reasoning though. They likely ran a structural analysis and instead of a linear parametric change they likely used a more rapidly converging algorithm based upon learned data from past designs?

Something like that, and it saves some intern his sanity instead of having to wait for every simulation to complete.

Posted:
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX  3789WRX Points: 537Members Posts: 3,789 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub  3133WRX Points: 1,280Handicap: 1.7Members Posts: 3,133 Titanium Tees

It seems like they probably up the contrast/black values to exaggerate the curves in the Flash Face images, but the concept is still sound IMO.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage DC 80TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 100XTS || Srixon Z U65 Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 26*- 36* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 40*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD  1458WRX Points: 661Handicap: 1.8Members Posts: 1,458 Platinum Tees

Looks exactly like it's supposed to.

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    L.A.B 2.1 

Advertisement

To the layman, the curves in the Flash face look somewhat random. I'm not criticizing Callaway or claiming that their r&d is BS. I was just commenting on what I saw in the picture. I think it would be cool to see the computerized pictures of what the face does upon contact.

We all want to hit the ball 300 or more and the OEM's marketing do their best to convince us that each iteration is enough to spend 550+. I think we should maybe wait about 3-4 years between driver purchases to see real changes.

Although I found a TI version of a SLDR driver and I think it may be as long or longer than my current driver. The ball flight is certainly better. I need to get on LM to verify.

Posted:
    Maxfli Tour
  • J13J13 Dad golf Maryland 16107WRX Points: 1,120Handicap: +1.6Members Posts: 16,107 Titanium Tees

It's amazing how much Cally spends on R&D compared to all of the other OEM's. I think they spend more than all other companies combined, something crazy like that. I've been to their R&D facility in Carlsbad and its EXTREMELY impressive. AI is the future in club design optimization, it's just a matter of when the other companies can afford to do it. Balls are the same way.

Posted:
    Driver - Under construction
    Fairway wood - Under construction
    Irons - Under Construction
    Wedges - Under Construction
    Odyssey Versa 6
    Srixon Zstar XV

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Instagram-
    On -, @Jminis13

• bu11dogbu11dog Raleigh, NC 1452WRX Points: 160ClubWRX Posts: 1,452 Platinum Tees

Is that the Venom symbiote inside the club head? Is that the AI we've been talking about? We're doomed!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.