Traveling to PGA National, FLA

golftherapy02 ·  
golftherapy02golftherapy02 Members  96WRX Points: 17Handicap: 18Posts: 96 Fairways

Hey guys I am taking my first trip to PGA national in a few weeks, staying for 4 days with my wife and in-laws. I have never been there and was hoping that those of you that had could offer any tips about the courses/resort, food/drink destinations, or other local attractions you enjoyed. Hoping to avoid doing anything that a "first timer" would do without having the knowledge at the course/resort . Appreciate any info I can get!

Posted:

Comments

• jsheljshel Members  662WRX Points: 114Posts: 662 Golden Tee

Just down the road from the resort (closer to 95) is a restaurant called The Cooper. Food is great, patio is great, scenery is solid.

I have only played the Palmer course at PGA National and thought it was decent.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero
    3W: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero (3+)
    Hybrid: Titleist TS2
    Irons: PXG XF Gen 2 Steelfiber shafts
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 54, 58
    Putter: Cameron & Crown Fastback
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • leerob3leerob3 Members  631WRX Points: 86Posts: 631 Golden Tee

Haven't been down there is a few years so I'm sure some things have changed. Duffy's was always a great spot, just your basic burgers, wings and beers kind of spot. If you venture up to Jupiter area there's the Reef, very solid seafood joint, actually ran into Mark Calcavecchia there one night. There's also Jupiter Ale House not bad for basic pub fare. Abacoa is a great daily fee course always in great shape. Port St Lucie pretty close, always fun to catch some spring training both the Mets and Cards located there.

Posted:
    Cobra F9
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Ping G400 19*
    Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*
    Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5
  • jmtbkrjmtbkr Palm Beach GardensMembers  814WRX Points: 111Posts: 814 Golden Tee

If they are PGA members, great! Play the Champ, Palmer and Bayhill Estates. If not, you won't be able to get on unless you know a member or are staying at the resort ($$$).

Local courses are Sandhill Crane and Abacoa. Half hour north is Hammock Creek in Palm City or Lost Lakes. Half hour south, try Atlantic National

Great food in the area and up towards Jupiter. Stay away from Duffy's, you can do a whole lot better.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 60S
    Callaway X20 3-SW
    Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
    Supersoft
  • golftherapy02golftherapy02 Members  96WRX Points: 17Handicap: 18Posts: 96 Fairways

Thanks for all the tips, we are staying at the resort and with my in-laws I know we will be playing the championship course. Looking forward to playing the bear trap. Does anyone know any tips about the resort itself?

Posted:
  • th6252th6252 Members  1252WRX Points: 173Posts: 1,252 Platinum Tees

it's maybe a bit of drive but captain charlie's reef grill is a really awesome local spot in juno beach(right across the street from seminole).

Posted:
    Post edited by th6252 on
  • thelinetheline Members  2WRX Points: 6Posts: 2 Starters

Stayed here is sept. I would take the food suggestions that people are leaving ad everything at this resort is way overpriced ....$9 for a can of beer should be a good gauge of what the prices are like....as far as the courses my favorite was the palmer.....nothing special at all just the best at this place....the champ is just an overpriced course that happens to host a pga tour event.i was definitely looking forward to the bear trap but i just don't know i wasn't impressed. I did have a truly horrible round that day but i wasn't the only one that had this opinion of the group i was with ....the squire was the worst which i believe is under reno which is good for you because it would be a waste of time and money to play it......the pool at the resort was nice but the bar by the pool closed b4 happy hour ????? Why???? Mabye my expectations were too high for this place.....The best course i played was a 18 hole par 3 course right on the beach in west palm. Walkable but they have carts and it was a blast. Several holes have ocean views and everything there was well kept.....i would say the greens were better there then pga....also the restaurant onsite is highly rated heard good things but i did not eat there

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jmtbkrjmtbkr Palm Beach GardensMembers  814WRX Points: 111Posts: 814 Golden Tee

Yes, the champ course is just an overpriced course that happens to host a PGA event. The palmer kinda winds thru the neighborhood, offering a much better challenge. It's used as a qualifier course. Interesting double green in the middle. Try and get on Bayhill Estates, about 10 minutes west on Northlake. Nice layout with dog lefts and rights. My favorite of the 5 courses.

Sandhill Crane, across the road it an amazing little muni in great shape. Course management here!

The resort food prices are crazy. J Alexanders, 3 Forks, Capitol Grill all within 5 minutes on PGA Blvd. Reef Grill in Juno Beach (panko scallops). Dive Bar in Jupiter(sushi). Sara's Kitchen for breakfast.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 60S
    Callaway X20 3-SW
    Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
    Supersoft
  • prouse25prouse25 ILMembers  372WRX Points: 89Handicap: +1.0Posts: 372 Greens

You would probably never stop by this place on your own (But you really need to). It looks like a cheesy 80's strip mall. Some of the best seafood you will ever eat. The Pelican Cafe is another great spot - really good upper end Italian food in a casual setting. Hard to beat Carmine's and The River house on PGA.

Posted:
  • Seth PistolSeth Pistol Members  374WRX Points: 82Handicap: +35Posts: 374 Greens

i would third the recommendation for captain charlies. its a must stop for me when i'm in the Jupiter area.

tulipan bakery for some really amazing cuban breakfast foods.

carmine's gourmet market is an awesome place to get good prepared foods.

i would try to play the palm beach par 3 course - one of my favorites. plus i love the chicken parm there.

Posted:
  • jibbs1082jibbs1082 Members  25WRX Points: 18Handicap: 10.5Posts: 25 Bunkers

Just came back and here is my recommendation:

If you are an avid golfer, play the Champion twice. If you are ok with average Florida "public" golf, cheap out on the second round and play the Fazio. I've heard Palmer is nicer... but IMO just play Champion again.

HIGHLY recommend 1000 North (Jordan's restaurant) in Jupiter - about 15 min uber. Start at PGA resort bar with some cocktails and head that way for a great dinner/scene. Dress well and make reservations. Post dinner beverages, the Square Grouper is nearby and a cool "beach bar". Younger but not crazy young, still a mix. We also went to The Woods (Tigers place) - wasn't overly impressed, we stayed for a drink and some apps and left.

Roll with this gameplan and I guarantee you a fun day and night.

We only had 2 nights so didn't hang around the resort much other than for breakfast, golf, happy hour.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.