moving to a Reg shaft from a stiff. Do I need to change the style of club head also?

Lamosteve ·  
LamosteveLamosteve Members  38WRX Points: 30Handicap: 9Posts: 38 Bunkers

I'm 54 yrs old, 9 hdp. Good shape for my age.

I play Ping Ie Irons with Nippon Stiff Modus 105 shafts. I went to a golf store yesterday and was hitting M5 irons with KBS reg shaft and they were going 10-15 yards further.

I think I have realized that I should move down to a Reg shaft. I'm ok with this.

With that in mind, should I reshaft my PINGS with Reg nippons? Or go G series with Reg? ( look like shovels to me)

Or should i get M5 irons with a regular shaft?

HELP !

Posted:

WITB: M6 Driver, M2 3 metal, Callaway 5W & 4 hybrid, M6 5-AW, Tour Edge 54 & 58, Scotty Cameron California Delmar

Comments

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19377WRX Points: 1,455Posts: 19,377 Titanium Tees

There is no link between shaft flex and the type of heads. Pick the head first and then whatever shaft feels best to you.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members  8367WRX Points: 340Handicap: 12.1Posts: 8,367 Titanium Tees

You need to take your time. I don’t know the lofts of your pings but I’m guessing the M5’s are stronger lofts. That may be the primary reason for the extra distance. That stated, some of those stock reg shafts can be extremely light. This can make on course results where lie, etc... matter far different from in store, off mat results. Go to an outdoor demo. Hit more than a single club and try multiple shafts.

i’ll be 54 in April. Driver swing is anywhere from 95-100 depending. I can play stiff or reg but mostly stiff. Here are my current setups.

Ping g410 DG105 stiff, Callaway CF19 KBS $-Taper 120 soft stepped 1x, Ping g25 xp dg s300 stiff, Adams pro gold steelfiber i95 stiff.

Thus far I’ve only hit the kbs $-taper a few times in anything but the 8 iron as this set is new to me. I did hit about 30-40 balls with the 8 iron this morning.

several years ago I did an indoor demo with Callaway Xr 7I. That iron averaged 22 yds longer per trackman than my g25 7I. I stuck with my g25. There was no reason to change at that point. It’s not all about distance.

Posted:
    Post edited by Cwing on
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members  1273WRX Points: 203Handicap: It is ClimbingPosts: 1,273 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
  • TommyjTommyj Members  643WRX Points: 227Posts: 643 Golden Tee

Not all R and S flexes are equal. The Modus 105 plays soft to flex and the stiff you currently play in that shaft is pretty close in overall flex to the KBS Tour R. I wouldn't spend money on reshafting until you have gone through a proper fitting.

Shaft selection does not determine which head you should play, select the head first and then the shaft which gives you the best feel and results.

Posted:
  • LamosteveLamosteve Members  38WRX Points: 30Handicap: 9Posts: 38 Bunkers

Thank you all for the responses.

I went to my local retailer today and they determined that I was indeed a REG shaft for my irons.

After some testing, I thought I was going to get PING G400s. I ended up hitting the M6 irons longer and with more consistency. M5 irons were not available in Reg shaft.

So I'm surprised and pleased at the same time.

Steve

Posted:

WITB: M6 Driver, M2 3 metal, Callaway 5W & 4 hybrid, M6 5-AW, Tour Edge 54 & 58, Scotty Cameron California Delmar

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.