Go to tips when pressure is on

Lefty Light HItter ·  
Lefty Light HItterLefty Light HItter St. LouisMembers  1590WRX Points: 164Handicap: 3.2Posts: 1,590 Platinum Tees

What are your go to thoughts/swing thoughts when you're nervous over a shot or feeling quick?

Posted:
In search of solid contact...

Comments

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3180WRX Points: 791Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,180 Titanium Tees

As little as possible. Stay in rhythm, go through your routine and execute.

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • naj959naj959 Members  1080WRX Points: 141Posts: 1,080 Platinum Tees

Focus so hard on nailing your preshot routine that you can't think of anything else. It's worked for me more times than not but can be tiring trying to maintain 18 holes.

Posted:
  • ZitlowZitlow Members  553WRX Points: 186Posts: 553 Golden Tee

Relax your mind by focusing on your breathing.

Posted:
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members  1804WRX Points: 195Handicap: YesPosts: 1,804 Platinum Tees

PSR

Posted:
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • FuscinatorFuscinator Members  326WRX Points: 193Posts: 326 Greens

That’s all nervousness and doubt. The doubt’s something you have to work out that’s not going to change that day. The nervousness is something that’s fueled by adrenaline. Trying to be calm, when you’re obviously not, in my view, is a deluded pursuit. You’re better off robbing nervousness of its fuel. Take 25 violent practice swings, or do a bunch of jumping jacks. Your mind’ll still be noisy, but your body will be less jumpy.

Posted:
  • Steele47Steele47 Members  1804WRX Points: 942Posts: 1,804 Platinum Tees

Visualize the shot (perhaps a similar shot pulled off successfully in the past) and then rhythm. Also, reminding myself it's just a game tends to calm things down.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13517WRX Points: 2,384Handicap: 1.6Posts: 13,517 Titanium Tees

Learn a go to shot

for me I love knocking down short irons under the gun

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* VTS Red 100Hx
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6 - PW UST 95 Recoil
    Ping Glide SS 50* & 54* wrx 110 Recoil
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil 
    Piretti Matera Elite 

• northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members  4134WRX Points: 233Posts: 4,134 Titanium Tees

Be the ball, nananana.....

Posted:
    If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members  4134WRX Points: 233Posts: 4,134 Titanium Tees

For some reason, I thought the topic was "go to the tips when the pressure is on".

Posted:
    If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • Lefty Light HItterLefty Light HItter St. LouisMembers  1590WRX Points: 164Handicap: 3.2Posts: 1,590 Platinum Tees

"What are your go to tips when the pressure is on"

Posted:
  • Lefty Light HItterLefty Light HItter St. LouisMembers  1590WRX Points: 164Handicap: 3.2Posts: 1,590 Platinum Tees

Good tip & yes telling yourself to not be nervous is not going to work. Some days my ability to focus on hitting the target is better than others, but I'd say every round I run into shots where I'm uncomfortable or a last second thought hits you at the top of your swing almost like an episode of Tourette's. I don't suspect I'm alone in that happening.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members  1863WRX Points: 383Posts: 1,863 Platinum Tees

If I catch myself getting quick I just remind myself to not be quick lol and same with nervous shots... sorry no secret just gotta catch myself then I can adjust. Golf aint real problems so easy to relax about...

Note: your title made me think this was about playing the tips and pressure

Posted:
    G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • ItsjustagameItsjustagame Members  1368WRX Points: 185Handicap: 8Posts: 1,368 Platinum Tees

Agree pre-shoot routine. Just hit golf shots- one at a time. Treat golf like 70 or 80 individual games.

Posted:
    GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW - Mamiya Recoil 95/110
    Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
    OWorks 2 Ball Fang Slant
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX  15938WRX Points: 1,232Posts: 15,938 ClubWRX

I would go through my PSR and if for any reason I was not at total ease with BOTH the VISUALIZATION & the FEEL of my next swing/shot/outcome, I would stand/stay behind my ball, close my eyes, slow my breathing down and go through the box breathing technique 3 times, though a few times I did do 4 reps and then I would go through my PSR of my subsequent swing/shot/outcome and then step into the box.

I NEVER EVER stepped into that box until I was in total control mentally/physically of my breathing, my thoughts and my swing.

To approach it any other way is just a crap shoot and you all know how crap shoots turn out under the gun...

They turn into sh*t shows💩💩😉

All the Best Brother🍻

RP

Posted:
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • rich_s2rich_s2 wisconsinMembers  1009WRX Points: 789Handicap: 1.6Posts: 1,009 Platinum Tees

If you don’t know what heart math is, check it out. Total game changer in pressure situations.

Posted:
  • stingerfadestingerfade Members  515WRX Points: 352Posts: 515 Golden Tee

Do like Fred couples did. Think of the best shot you’ve ever hit with whatever club you’re holding. Then go hit the shot.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • J_carpJ_carp Members  77WRX Points: 57Handicap: 1Posts: 77 Fairways

Slow down and take full, deep breathes... everything else will fall into place from there.

Posted:
  • LyinEyeLyinEye Members  353WRX Points: 164Posts: 353 Greens

Keep playing, keep eyes off leader board, keep playing- expectations are a waste of time.

Posted:
  • zdtallanzdtallan MarylandMembers  116WRX Points: 63Handicap: 3.2Posts: 116 Fairways

No matter how many tournaments I play in the first tee ball of the day is always tough for me. A while ago I heard a tip that a pro used and I have used it since with a lot of luck - Make an aggressive and 100% swing. I think the idea behind it was that nerves and doubt can lead to trying to hit the "perfect" ball in the situation, which can lead to hesitancy and improper sequencing. In reality, since my adrenaline is already going I usually end up with one of my longest balls of the day on the first tee, just focusing on swinging free and hard.

Posted:

Taylormade M5 9.0* Tensei Pro White 60tx

TEE CBX 119 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon U65 2 Iron GD AD-DI 85x

Srixon z765 4-P Modus 120 S

Cleveland RTX 4.0 Raw (52, 56, 60 x-low)

Toulon Austin

• Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX  15938WRX Points: 1,232Posts: 15,938 ClubWRX

As with any activity in life, which becomes “easier” or the better phrase is probably “more natural,” with each successful practiced rep, so to is hitting a golf ball “under the gun.”

The problem is that the vast vast vast majority of guys, oh, about 97-98%+ of em, either don’t practice the right stuff the right way or they don’t practice the right stuff nearly enough.

We want the “quick fix,” the “go to tip” or the Best is when I used to Play in Pro-Ams and without fail there would be one Am that would ask our Pro for a “pearl” for whatever part of this idiot’s game was currently in the dumps, and this usually amounted to multiple “pearls,” lolol

It was so prevalent that my good Tour Bud, when asked about one of these wondrous “pearls,” would go to his bag, bend over to the lower back pouch, extract a small sandwich baggie that contained about 30-40 of those lil fake white costume jewelry “pearls,” turn and hand it to the Am, smiling and saying “I hope that this helps,” lolol

It never failed to bring a laugh from me and most Ams got the message.

The problem is that to perform ANY activity “under the gun,” especially something as exacting and unforgiving as a golf swing, takes thousands, tens of thousands and yes, hundreds of thousands or more reps of that particular swing, stroke or movement.

This applies to the mental game as well as the physical game.

As much as you practice your physical game, IF you’re practicing it correctly AND performing enough reps, ya have to perform MORE reps/drills of your mental game to stand up “under the gun.”

Bearing in mind that my second paragraph applies here with the physical game, how many of these peeps do ya think that my second paragraph applies to with the mental game😂😂??

Answer to the test...

More than the 97-98%+ that don’t effectively practice the physical game!!

Take that to the bank!!

The funny thing is that the mental game, unlike the physical game, which at the very least one needs at least a club in their hands to do slo-mo swings, needs absolutely nothing except for your time, focus and discipline to perform these reps when and where ya have a few minutes throughout your day/evening to perform your drills, whether it be visualizations, breathing or whatever the mental drill.

Please remember that it takes tens of thousands of reps to become truly proficient “under the gun,” and if you cannot commit to starting on that journey, then it doesn’t matter what pearl, tip or advice that your mental roulette wheel finally chooses, they will all give you the swing that you deserve “under the gun.”

A tad cruel??

Sometimes the truth is cruel, as is this game, and one thing that I do know in my years around it....

This game does not suffer fools lightly😉

To close on a lil brighter note, Maddie and I were talkin about the swing conversations that we had with Sam(she had many more than I cuz he seemed to enjoy talkin shop with her more than me, lol. Go figure🤪) and there was one word that whenever the question arose and it didn’t matter if it was some anonymous Am on the line at Pete’s range or Gary Player up at the club at a Charity event, however when they asked him his most critical one word “swing thought,” he never hesitated and he never failed to give the same exact one word answer, and I heard it hundreds of times, Maddie probably over a thousand, and that one word was...

”Breathing”

That my Friends, is the “Pearl” of the Century, do with it what ya might😊

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends⛳️

RP

Posted:
    Post edited by Forged4ever on
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  20861WRX Points: 4,823Posts: 20,861 ClubWRX

Seeing your avatar makes today a better day! All the best to you and yours this upcoming year!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9350WRX Points: 839Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,350 ClubWRX

I think a huge key is grip pressure. When nervous some tend to strangle the club, which leads to a major pull/hook.

Posted:
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3180WRX Points: 791Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,180 Titanium Tees

Not sure where this quote comes from but it applies to about everything and it goes with @Forged4ever's post.

"You can't rise to your level of expectation, you only rise to your level of preparation"

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Mine tend to pop up in rapid negative thoughts once the swing has started. I'd say almost like self-sabatage. "don't shank it", "don't pull hook it". Those types of impulsive thoughts. These can happen at any time and even after feeling relatively comfortable (as comfortable as I could be) when walking into the shot. I follow a pre-shot routine and I back off shots, but I'm not immune from one of those thoughts popping up.

My mental game has come so far in the last 8 months and it's why I asked the question. I want to continue to improve and hear different solutions that others have implemented with success. I realize it's sort of a unique issue and not everyone has this feeling. Some people getting nervous driving a car over 50MPH. I can do 90 in and out of traffic and the thought of "failure" never crosses my mind and I can see situations developing on the road ahead of me very well. I joke and tell people I'm a superior driver on the highway and while joking I do believe I have a calmness and vision to avoid wrecks better than most because I don't fear wrecking if that makes any sense. It never crosses my mind. I suspect there are people who pick up a golf club and never have those negative thoughts pop into their head when hitting a ball just like me with driving. I just am not one of them and I'm trying to improve and manage my game the best possible way. Long winded, but hopefully it makes sense.

Posted:

This is my go to, but my 100% swing sometimes ends up being not much turn, too quick of a turn and more hands which can lead to some really bad hooks. I know exactly what you're saying though. For a good stretch I'd say, "you're the best mother **** on this course" while staring at my target, look at the ball and try to beat the **** out of it. That produced great success and allowed me to hit it athletically and surprisingly much more online despite less "control". There are limitations to everything though. Some days it makes me hit it worse because I get too quick.

When I played baseball my best at bats came after being crazed out of my mind screaming in the dugout (I was one of those nut cases) or after a big defensive stop. I came to the plate not only with no fear, but an intent to beat the guy in front of me (the pitcher). I can't walk around a golf course screaming like a heavy lifter getting ready to do a clean and jerk so I can wear out my fear 😂.

Posted:

Practiced rep "under the gun" is the whole purpose of this post. It's to gain knowledge to apply to working on my mental game. I made a point last spring to focus on the mental game because I was tired of watching people on the range and telling myself, "I hit it better than them" and then look them up to find they have a lower cap than me. I started trying to play with strangers more, play the back tees when playing by myself to increase the difficulty on shots and I told myself this year I'd enter the club championship and play some other events to gain that experience which I think will allow me to play better in regular weekend games. I didn't grow up playing the game and picked it up in my late 20's. Learning expectations, how to play the game, the difference of playing with friends vs friends while betting vs tournaments, etc are all things that I realized I needed to put more focus on rather than just trying to hit positions in my swing.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members  4029WRX Points: 725Posts: 4,029 Titanium Tees

Part of it is awareness. Understanding that you can care too much and understanding if you’re playing good golf that the odds are in your favor. I think I read once that choking is thinking too much in pressure situations and panicking is not thinking enough in pressure situations. I tend to focus more on technique and chalk it up as ‘if I do this, I will hit a good shot. If I do this (whatever I’ve been working on) and I hit a bad shot, it just wasn’t meant to be.’

The result should be things like your routine and technique used. I’ve found that when I start thinking too much about where the ball ends u, that’s when the pressure really sets in. I can’t will the ball to go where I want, I have to impart good mechanics in order to do so (and with a little bit of luck). And I am more likely to impart good mechanics if I utilize my pre-shot routine.

I also like to use a trick that Dr. Bhrett McCabe recommends….call out your shot in your pre-shot routine.

Audibly call out everything. Where’s the wind coming from? Where’s your target? What’s the yardage? What club do you want to hit? Where’s the real trouble around the green? Audibly talk to yourself about it as if you were talking to a caddie. Then determine what you want to use and then call your shot (high draw, starts at the garage door on the yellow house and draws towards the flag). 

You don’t have to say it really loud, but let the words flow out of your mouth. 

You’d be surprised how it helps compartmentalize your thoughts and helps with your focus.

In the end though, you have to have a mindset that hitting a bad shot is not a big deal because if you have true confidence in yourself you are a devout believer that you are so good that you fully believe you can recover from any bad shot you may hit. 

RH

Posted:
  • spineshankspineshank Charlotte, NCMembers  644WRX Points: 121Handicap: 4.2Posts: 644 Golden Tee
    Posted:
    Taylormade SIM 9*
    Cobra F9 14.5*
    Callaway Apex 18*
    Mizuno MP-5 4-PW
    Callaway MD4 50* | 54* | 58*
    Scotty Cameron Newport Classic

I get it. I can't edit the topic. It should have been "What are your go to tips when you feel pressure."

Posted:

Advertisement
  • LyinEyeLyinEye Members  353WRX Points: 164Posts: 353 Greens

In order to be the ball one has to turn into the ball, it's just a pivot away <wink> nananana....

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.