Gull Lake View / Stoatin Brae

N8dogg2669 ·  
N8dogg2669N8dogg2669 ClubWRX  142WRX Points: 49Handicap: 5.8Posts: 142 Fairways

Looking for some recommendations. Planning a trip out there to GLV late summer. Definitely going to play Stoatin Brae, but I am not sure familiar with any of the other courses. Anyone familiar with the other 5 courses and have any recommendations on which ones to play? I saw another thread, and it looked like there are some locals on here that might have some insight. I have 2 low handicappers and 2 High handicappers in the group if that makes any difference based on how tough any of the courses play. Thanks in advance.

Posted:

Comments

• Chillidipper1Chillidipper1 Members  9WRX Points: 2Posts: 9 Bunkers

I can't remember for the life of me which ones I played, but I'm heading up there this June 25 with 20 guys and we are playing GLVE on Thursday for our arrival round because we are staying at the villas. Playing Stoatin and GLVW on Friday, and both Stonehedges on Saturday at the recommendation of the employee setting up my visit. We range from 3 to 35 handicap so it will get interesting. Sorry I can't provide better feedback on which ones you should play, unless you aren't scheduling it until late. I was more so sharing in case you were going to be up there the same time.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • N8dogg2669N8dogg2669 ClubWRX  142WRX Points: 49Handicap: 5.8Posts: 142 Fairways

No we are looking August 20-23. Thanks for the info, sounds like you guys have a good trip planned. I wish I had 20 friends that would play golf and not see how fast they can blackout.

Posted:
  • Chillidipper1Chillidipper1 Members  9WRX Points: 2Posts: 9 Bunkers

Well...we have about 18 that want to play golf and 2 that race to blackout. Nice thing is the guys racing to blackout are decent golfers. Should be a decent trip, its the second annual Fred Herd Cup named after the esteemed US Open Champion.

Posted:
  • knickerbockerknickerbocker Pipe Dreamer Members  3406WRX Points: 176Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,406 Titanium Tees

I would skip GLVE and play Stonehenge South or North on opening day. Both of those are better than the GLV courses if you don’t mind a repeat. Play Bedford before Stoatin instead of GLVW.

Posted:
    9* G LST w/ Aldila Rogue Silver i/o 60
    14* Callaway XR Pro w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70
    20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
    Taylormade p790 4 - GW with Modus Tour 120
    Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 with Modus Tour 120
    Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO3
    WITB Link
  • N8dogg2669N8dogg2669 ClubWRX  142WRX Points: 49Handicap: 5.8Posts: 142 Fairways

Thanks for the info. Probably so 36 on the first day, so I'll probably try to play both of those. Then go in that order for the rest of the weekend. Thanks again!

Posted:
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members  1635WRX Points: 168Posts: 1,635 Platinum Tees

Ya dont leave Bedford out of the rotation. That might just be my favorite course at GL.

Posted:
    8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • scrody17scrody17 Members  359WRX Points: 95Posts: 359 Greens

Can't go wrong with North, South, or Bedford. Definitely pass on East and West though in my opinion.

Posted:
    Current Set Up:
    Cobra Fly Z+ Driver Kuro Kage
    Nike Vapor Speed 3 wood w/ Pro Launch Red
    Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood w/ EPIC T90
    Callaway X-forged 2013 4-PW PXi 5.5 hard stepped once
    Titleist SM6 50*
    Titleist SM6 54*
    Titleist SM6 60*
    Odyssey O-Works #7s
  • tmw1582tmw1582 Members  70WRX Points: 43Handicap: 10.3Posts: 70 Bunkers

I played there last summer and I thought Stoatin Brae was great. I loved getting to play a somewhat Links style course when all I'm used to is Parkland style around Chicagoland. Other than that I was underwhelmed by the other courses. Nothing really wrong with them but certainly nothing special. I would not be able to tell you one from the next. I want to say we played 3 or 4 other ones there.

The one thing that bothered me the most was there was no decent food or drink options near the villas and it's not like you want to stay home and dine in because they are glorified dorm rooms. A place that hosts that many people every year needs to have some better options IMO. One night we went into Kalamazoo and that was good but it is 20 minutes away. The next night we walked to some dilapidated house that had been converted into a bar and it was terrifying.

On the plus side it is very affordable.

Posted:
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members  1635WRX Points: 168Posts: 1,635 Platinum Tees

Ha, thay bar across the street from the villas is classic! Part of the Gull Lake charm!

Posted:
    8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • knickerbockerknickerbocker Pipe Dreamer Members  3406WRX Points: 176Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,406 Titanium Tees

The Kitchen House or the Richland Pub are both solid and only a few minutes away.

Posted:
    9* G LST w/ Aldila Rogue Silver i/o 60
    14* Callaway XR Pro w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70
    20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
    Taylormade p790 4 - GW with Modus Tour 120
    Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 with Modus Tour 120
    Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO3
    WITB Link

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.