Feedback please, if you have the time.

Kanzas_Anthony ·  
Kanzas_AnthonyKanzas_Anthony Members  62WRX Points: 73Handicap: No idea yet. The goal is 3.4 or under. Posts: 62 Bunkers
Joined:  edited Feb 20, 2020 6:35am in Swing Videos and Comments #1

I'd like to get some feedback if possible. I play a fade normally, my iron shafts are super light weight and I'm wondering if that is making it harder to hold the wrist angle on the downswing. The camera is not perfectly down the line. There was a ton of left to right wind so I was going for the green on the right.

Posted:

Trust you heart, not your head.

Tagged:

Comments

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  4809WRX Points: 690Posts: 4,809 Titanium Tees

Nice swing! Why are the shafts super lightweight?

You do what I do with the right elbow tucked in. I'm curious what others that know a lot more than me about the golf swing think.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Kanzas_AnthonyKanzas_Anthony Members  62WRX Points: 73Handicap: No idea yet. The goal is 3.4 or under. Posts: 62 Bunkers

Hey @LeoLeo99 thanks for taking the time to comment.

To make a long story short, I bought the cheapest recoils I could find on Ebay and they were the regular es f3's.

Posted:

• LobbyLobby Members  41WRX Points: 49Posts: 41 Bunkers

Your backswing is too flat. Thus, you have trouble squaring up the club at impact; the ball goes to the right as a result.

Get your hands higher at the top of your swing. Perhaps a swing thought of "hands above your right shoulder" might be appropriate?

Posted:
  • Kanzas_AnthonyKanzas_Anthony Members  62WRX Points: 73Handicap: No idea yet. The goal is 3.4 or under. Posts: 62 Bunkers

@Lobby I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks.

Posted:

• LobbyLobby Members  41WRX Points: 49Posts: 41 Bunkers

No, not until you hear from others. I'm just a voice on the internet who could be completely full of ****.

🤣

Posted:

@Lobby I have always had a super flat swing, I have worked on that before in the past and that was a good thing to remind me.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • laneholtlaneholt Members  740WRX Points: 101Posts: 740 Golden Tee

Kanzas,

Please do NOT change your BS for any reason. DO NOT listen to anyone saying you should. You have a very powerful perfect BS very similar to one of the best on tour, Tony Finau . I would expect you have some serious club head speed and length and you should play as stiff a shaft as you possibly can. You are rare indeed . Are you self taught ? Not many players ( except the greats Hogan, Sergio, Finau , Fowler , Kuchar, etc; ) get the shaft back around behind their torso like you do which enables you to PULL the face into the inside quadrant of the ball as you so easily do. No limit to your success in this game.

Good luck,

Lane

Posted:

@laneholt I am self taught but doesn't feel like it with so much information online. I had a really good plan when I started this two years ago and systematically went through the fundamentals. It's only probably in the last 8 months or so that I made a lot of improvement. I wanted to ask about where the ball impacts my club face. Since I changed to the regular shaft recoil, I think the f3 is 68grams, I am hitting the ball a little in towards the hosel. That being said my clubs are setup a little weird, my short irons are 4 degrees flat but a club length longer than the normal shaft for that club( I am fairly sure that that still keeps the club flat but it offsets a little with it being longer and making it a little more upright, if I understand all that. I did that also to get more spin on the short irons and promote a fade. The mid irons are all normal and the long irons one club length longer than normal, promote a draw. I love how I hit it with this set up, except for I don't know how a weak shaft and a super flat club affect where the ball is being hit. I'll hit a solid iron shot and look at the face and am surprised how near the hosel is. Sorry this is so long. I also figured that if the clubs were super flat that would force me to stay down and hit the ball properly or else it slides right, doest curve really but slides, unless I stay down. This shot in the video is a bad example, due to the wind and the fade I was hitting. This is an example of draws with that same flat set up. I really appreciate the message you wrote, you don't know what that does for someone like me, a little boost is always appreciated :)

@Lobby I think they got a little higher on these. The camera angle is not ideal, my tripod broke.

Posted:

Kanzas,

I would expect your club head speed is above normal . Is that correct ? Driver- 115 + ? I have a set of F3 Recoils also. They are good quality shots , but I question if they are stiff enough for you ?

Please check out the demo Of NVentix.com ( Nunchuk ) by Bryan Nicholson who is the most knowledgeable PGA Pro on this Planet and you will learn more about deceleration at impact than I can explain to you . This might give you a clue about how weak shifts affect your swing.

Let me know your thoughts !

Lane

Posted:

@laneholt Thank you! That's why I am here. I will watch that now. I don't think the shafts are stiff enough nor heavy enough, but I hit them as good, though the hitting it close to the hosel I am not sure is ideal. I don't know how fast my club head speed is.

This was at the middle stage of my golf build. It is the 125g recoil with a old titleist blade 5 in a 3 iron shaft. That was the only shaft I could get that was that weight for the 25$ I paid for it, so I put it in the 5 iron head, and proceeded to ruin the shaft when I tried to take it out, turns out you can't heat them like the normal clubs :( I am waaaay better now than at this point so I'm starting to lean back in the direction of stiff and heavy. The spinning the clubs is horrible I know, I have tried to stop that habit.

This is in the Alps in France. I hit them in the winter, and pick them up in the summer when the snow melts :) Ah I have the whole progression and my golf world on a youtube page. The Yellow picture is my art. And don't mind the clothes and the music, the clothes I make, the music is there just because I can't use other peoples music on youtube, so I use whatever random stuff I mess around and make. (white shirt is my cycling shirt, too cheap to buy the real sweat wicking away shirt so we just made a shirt and cut small holes in it, pay it no mind :D

Posted:

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  4809WRX Points: 690Posts: 4,809 Titanium Tees

Lane is correct that your swing looks like Tony's. I noticed that in your swing, your hands are very close to your thighs with the iron and a bit further away with the driver.

Might be time for you to get a proper set of clubs. Your swing deserves it.

Cool music. Reminds me of Portishead.

Posted:

Advertisement

@LeoLeo99 Yes, I have been trying to get my hands closer on the way back with the driver, but I always revert to how I normally do it. I'll keep working hard on the driver swing. For the set I'll need a year before I can afford it with everything else I have going. But that time is coming for sure. I told myself when or if I ever shoot something in the 60's I'd say I deserved to get a real set, for now I've had two sets, one full set I got for 13$ off eBay, and the mp 62's I got super cheap off eBay, so when I score good I'll put money away to get a real set. Any recommendations on a good iron shaft? I tend to like graphite but it's mainly I like the way it looks and I believe in the technology. @laneholt I want to try these iron shafts, the nunchuck you showed me.

I have the 130g modus in the 52 degree and I don't think I love that shaft. So I don't have any reference as far as shafts other than the 125g f4 recoil, the f3 es recoil, and the Callaway m75i shafts I have in the 13$ no name blade set I have. I would prefer a boring low flight shaft.

Posted:

Kanzas,

Apparently you watched the video and learned how terrible most of the equipment sold today is. Put your money in shafts. They are the engine and most important part of a golf club. Irons have changed very little in the past 60 years . Their is-nothing in an iron that is going to make the ball go farther expect it’s loft. The Nunchuk graphite XI iron shaft .355 taper and .370 parallel , IMO , is by far the best iron shaft ever designed. If you watched the video you know you do want a whippy shaft. You want a stiff shaft with a driver head that gives you the proper launch angle. The head should provide the proper launch angle , not the shaft!

Nunchuk XI iron shafts are a little more expensive and should be considered a one time purchase . You might change hands many times , as I do. I wear them out .

BTW- you seem to be concerned about impact near the hosel. THAT is the desired location and shows the proper DS impact angle. Think about this - if the heel of the face is leading from inside , as your is , the toe is lagging , as yours is , and should be! Well then - the face of the head is only facing the proper direction in a very small section of its circle when the torso ( inner circle ) rotates And squares up the face. Only natural that the heel And bottom of the club head would be sliding down under the inside quadrant of the ball.

WHICH should be our goal , but very few understand and/ or do. You easily do just that. The arc of your swing is perfect coming down to impact. I call it playing golf side- on. Congrats - you should excel at this game . You are way ahead of schedule.

Lane

Posted:

Kanzas,

BTW- you will probably get thousands of tips from well meaning folks advising you that your swing is TO FLAT! You might want to say - thank you or run away as fast as you can.

Lane

Posted:

@laneholt Yes, I'm careful with the advice, I know what it should look like, there are many examples, so I just try to get it as close to the best as I can and let physics do the rest. My swing is very similar to how it will always be, just a few fundamentals left to get down! I am going to start with one iron shaft from the Nunchuk and slowly acquire the set if I like them. I love Bruce Devlin's swing, so it was cool to see him play these shafts. I'm pretty much already convinced :) I got the recoils for those same attributes.

Posted:

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13513WRX Points: 2,384Handicap: 1.6Posts: 13,513 Titanium Tees

What’s your 7 iron speed? Carry? I would be hesitant to use iron shafts under 90 grams

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* VTS Red 100Hx
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6 - PW UST 95 Recoil
    Ping Glide SS 50* & 54* wrx 110 Recoil
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil 
    Piretti Matera Elite 

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13513WRX Points: 2,384Handicap: 1.6Posts: 13,513 Titanium Tees

I love your backswing but I’d like to see more release or extension on full shots, unless all of these swings are knockdowns

Posted:

Piretti Matera Elite 

@cardoustie I am not really sure about the 7 iron carry distance. I'll go play a compact course Monday and let you know for sure, but around 175 yards. I don't really know if I hit it high or not, I don't have any references to compare.

I agree completely with the release of my club, it's not something that comes naturally to me I think; it might be because I had a reconstructed shoulder that I never got it back to 100% and over the years I have very little mobility in both shoulders. I have been working hard on that this last year and I can raise both hands above my head finally, for the longest time I couldn't extend the right one at all. I also broke my collarbone with a almost compound fracture so when it healed one laid on top of the other and I ended up losing an 1 or more on my right arm. I always wondered if that did help me in some way, having the right arm shorter than the left.

I focused on that( extension on the release) for a few days in the summer but I got away from thinking about that, basically until now that you say it actually. That has always bothered me. I'm glad you mentioned that, I'm stupid, this was maybe the only day I focused on in the release and it was good now that I look back. There is so much to think about that I try to only do one or two things max each time I go. I film everything so it's easy to keep track of what I'm trying. These for example are with a rifle shaft. I could never hold my angles like I wanted so I switched to the light ones to see if that would help. I am going back to the heavier shafts.

This is from the beginning. I spent the first year basically learning the swing in the vacant parking lot. The Almost Golf Ball is amazing if you haven't tried. Shameful swing too wow, I had forgotten.

Posted:
    Post edited by Kanzas_Anthony on

I am not a fan of your thought process “holding the angles” .. I work on the opposite all the time TBH

The angle is a result of correct downswing sequencing and not something you try to manipulate IMO

Not sure how tall you are but look at Ben Hogan’s backswing (not that he’s a model for all) and then look at his extension target wards

Posted:

Piretti Matera Elite 

You hit balls in some crazy places !!! Cool to see

Posted:

Piretti Matera Elite 

@cardoustie you are right about the angles. The more open I get my shoulders the more that happens naturally, but it is still awkward for me. I'm 6'3. Yes, France has some cool golf courses. Super small and undulating greens, at least the few courses I have played.

Posted:

Advertisement

Kanzas,

Bruce Devlin is a friend of mine and one the finest men you will ever know. 70 wins nationwide . Double eagle on # 8 in the Masters, but never got any recognition.Tell Mike and Saf ( owners of Nunchuk ) Lane recommended XI’s. I have played golf with all these guys.

Gerry Hogan, designer of Nunchuk, ( and also the most knowledgeable person on this Planet about the golf swing ) recommends 6 iron at 37- 1/2 at D- 0. Do not cut from tip end . Butt cut only.

Lane

Posted:

Kanzas,

Please send me some video at face on so I can talk to you about that terrible word you mentioned - **** RELEASE *** !

Lane

Posted:

@laneholt That's crazy, I love Bruce Devlin! When I was starting all this, I was looking for references to what I want my swing to look like at impact and Bruce was ultra high on my list. I'll send you a face on soon. I have the worst legs ever and I'll not advance unless I finally focus on that. I'm going to have to take a month or two and really get back to the fundamentals. This last summer I was working hard on the fundamentals, and I have gotten away from then as I have progressed. Cool! Thanks!

Posted:

Kanzas,

Bruce is a great model to copy -Both his swing and persona. Bruce and Gerry Hogan have been friends for many years. Both spent time as my house guest where we put on clinics around this area.

You mention legs as being the key to your advancement. I can assure you they are NOT and I will explain that you if you are interested in some ——FACTS AND TRUTHS ? I suggest you check out * Cortical Homunculus * to learn more about the Human Anatomy. Human Genetics are the key to understanding the swing.

Many folks have their OWN SET of FACTS , but I don’t. I go with the proven ones. Here they are.."...........

Approx. 40% of the brain is dedicated to our HANDS . They are our external brains and their control of the butt end / grip of the lever is the key to mastering the swing.

Appro. 44 % of the brain is dedicated to our HEAD ( to hear, talk , breath , brain commands, chewing food , etc; ) Some might say these percentages are to low.

Contrary to belief very little is dedicated to Mr. Johnson.

0 % is dedicated to our —- LEGS. They are made to stand on or to walk and run. They are hardwired to your brain when you learned to walk and I doubt you have ever given much thought to your legs when you walk or run. Exception - Soccer players and field goal kickers and how many years does it take for them to train their feet to perform those awkward , opposite genetic design task ?

Proof - if you stood up right now and stretched your arm out to reach for that object on that shelf that was out of reach for your outstretched body - what did you feet do ? Did you have to tell your feet to do get up on your toes so you could reach just a little higher - OR —- did they just OBEY THE COMMAND OF YOUR ** HANDS **?

sorry to bore you with facts. I know they sometimes get in the way of theory , opinion , but not for me .

Lane

Posted:

Kanzas,

Cardousti is correct in recommending no shaft less that 90 grams. Great advice !The XI’s weight 106 grams in the raw. However , butt weighting ( as Nicklaus used ) makes the balance point farther up the shaft towards the butt end and gives your HANDS the feeling that the head is not so heavy. Trust me - you will probably never use a metal shaft again. Their days are numbered. All the better players in my club use them and would never change.

Lane

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.