Gone but not forgotten: a tribute to closed courses

James the Hogan Fan ·  
James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1066WRX Points: 705Handicap: 12Posts: 1,066 Platinum Tees

When I returned to the Bay Area in December after a year away, I was alarmed to see even more courses gone.

Santa Clara Golf Club

Mare Island Golf Club

San Geronimo golf course

Deer Ridge

Van Buskirk municipal golf course

And courses I already knew about: Sunol Valley, Roddy Ranch, Shadow Lakes, Adobe Creek, The Ranch, Springtown. In Seattle, Kayak Point, The Wayne. In Finland (my current locale) the Vantaa golf club built 9 of 18 holes and lasted 1 season before shutting down.

It's too bad they have to go, but that's life sometimes. I thought I'd like to hear from others about courses closing in their own areas. It definitely stirs strange emotions when a local course goes under.

I mean this thread as somber 'last goodbye' of sorts, before they turn into overgrown weeds and condo complexes. If you've had a course close near you, give it a mention.

Posted:
Golfing in Finland!
Taylormade R15
W/S Fybrid 3W
W/S Fybrid 5W
Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
Mizuno 56
Maxfli Revolution 60
Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

Comments

• Mitch JordanMitch Jordan mbbagman Members  31WRX Points: 51Handicap: 11.6Posts: 31 Bunkers

We've had a number close here in the Myrtle Beach area. Marsh Harbor and Ocean Harbor are the two I miss the most.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ThisColmanThisColman Members  3WRX Points: 6Posts: 3 Starters

Beckett Golf Club in New Jersey. Played there throughout high school and worked there for 3 years. Closed back at the end of 2018. Technically it is for sale, so it could return one day, but I'm not holding my breath. It was in bad condition for years and was not doing the business it needed to do to survive, so it was destined to be closed. I do miss it though. Here is a photo of my buddy on the par five 16th hole there.

Posted:
  • farmerfarmer Members  8604WRX Points: 1,038Posts: 8,604 Titanium Tees

We used to take guys trips to two courses in Colorado. One was a horrible housing development decision and was never going to succeed. Now there is not a trace of a golf course, just sagebrush and rocks. One lost money for years, finally, the owner had enough and converted the course into a marijuana farm. Very nice course, although the staff was rude and unpleasant. Now, just green houses.

Posted:
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2341WRX Points: 1,276Handicap: +0.9Posts: 2,341 ClubWRX

Santa Clara closed? The course with 14 doglegs. Sad.

Bluebonnet - Navasota, TX

Sycamore Canyon - Arvin, CA

Waco Valley Rose - Wasco, CA (was sold and I don't think it re-opened)

Horse Thief Country Club - Tehachapi, CA

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Snell MTB-X in yellow
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  4821WRX Points: 695Posts: 4,821 Titanium Tees

I played Heather Glen when it first opened in Myrtle Beach. They had a Scottish guy in a kilt working the desk in the pro shop. It was my favorite course that we played that week out of many. Always wanted to go back there.

Posted:
  • jjrjjr Members  1207WRX Points: 175Posts: 1,207 Platinum Tees

Pecan Valley, San Antonio,TX

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GnucastleGnucastle Members  47WRX Points: 30Handicap: 7Posts: 47 Bunkers

Stevinson Ranch in Stevinson, CA. Growing up in the Central Valley this was the absolute mecca for us. Even when I moved out to Bay Area the 2 hour drive was well worth it. RIP Stevinson Ranch a victim of the recent California drought.

As was Diablo Grande's Legend Course. Good course brought to an early grave. RIP (they should've put a fork in the Ranch course and kept the Legends IMO).

Posted:
    Callaway | Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond 9 Degree - Fubuki ZT60 Flex-X
    Titleist | U-500 Driving Iron (20 Degree) - Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 90
    Mizuno | MP-64 Irons - S300 XP105
    Mizuno | MP-T4 52 Degree 
    Vokey | SM7 Black - 56 Degree (M)
    Cleveland | RTX 588 - 60 Degree
    Scotty Cameron | Futura 5.5M
    Gamer Ball | Bridgestone Tour B XS (2020)
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1066WRX Points: 705Handicap: 12Posts: 1,066 Platinum Tees

Not to be too big of a downer, but the ranch course is now closed as well... They're both gone. Though the website optimistically says temporarily... I've never heard of a course coming back from a temporary closure.

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60

• darpar1darpar1 Members  259WRX Points: 29Handicap: 7.8Posts: 259 Greens

Kokopelli just outside of Hurricane Ut. closed a few years ago due to bad management and not the best location.....BUT a new track just opened in Hurricane called Copper Rock and it's a pretty awesome layout!

Posted:
  • Stroke&DistanceStroke&Distance Members  13WRX Points: 22Handicap: 15Posts: 13 Bunkers

RIP Aetna Springs 2x. First version, a cheap dog track affordable for a college kid with a mixed iron set. The second a masterful Tom Doak redesign, just a beautiful course.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GnucastleGnucastle Members  47WRX Points: 30Handicap: 7Posts: 47 Bunkers

Yah I saw that last night after i posted this. Bummer for all the folks who bought homes in Diablo Grande for the golf courses.

Posted:
    Callaway | Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond 9 Degree - Fubuki ZT60 Flex-X
    Titleist | U-500 Driving Iron (20 Degree) - Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 90
    Mizuno | MP-64 Irons - S300 XP105
    Mizuno | MP-T4 52 Degree 
    Vokey | SM7 Black - 56 Degree (M)
    Cleveland | RTX 588 - 60 Degree
    Scotty Cameron | Futura 5.5M
    Gamer Ball | Bridgestone Tour B XS (2020)
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members  3783WRX Points: 1,149Handicap: 4Posts: 3,783 Titanium Tees

RIP to Wolf Run in Zionsville, IN.

Posted:
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3352WRX Points: 996Handicap: 4Posts: 3,352 Titanium Tees

I liked that course. Pinehurst bought the property, but I don't know what they are going to do with it.

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members  9967WRX Points: 3,338Handicap: 8Posts: 9,967 Titanium Tees

Rip Reno, NV

northgate

brookside

wild creek

di’andrea

Rose wood lakes.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • shotmarkshotmark Members  869WRX Points: 80Handicap: 7.7Posts: 869 Golden Tee

Over the pond here in the UK, South Leeds GC closed just before Christmas. Although not the longest at around 5700 yards it was an Alister Mackenzie course. I was a member here for 25 years from 1976 so very sad to see it go.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1066WRX Points: 705Handicap: 12Posts: 1,066 Platinum Tees

Was Brookside the 9 holer by the airport? I don't recall what course that was by the airport, I played it all of 10 years ago.

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60

• stevopagolfstevopagolf Members  1523WRX Points: 144Posts: 1,523 Platinum Tees

Beechtree in MD was a great Tom Doak track. Always loved my rounds there. Enjoyed Pecan Valley before it closed as well. Heather Glen was one of my first trips to Myrtle Beach.

I forgot El Diablo in Crystal Springs Florida. Was on my rotation when I visited my Grandparents in Florida. There, World Woods and Juliette Falls......

Posted:
    Post edited by stevopagolf on
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members  9967WRX Points: 3,338Handicap: 8Posts: 9,967 Titanium Tees

That’s it. I spent a lot of summers there. $10 walk all day. It was probably more like 15 or more years ago.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6251WRX Points: 1,541Handicap: 10Posts: 6,251 Titanium Tees

Blackhawk Run, Stockton IL. The course I learned how to play golf on. Loved it so much we built a house across the road from it in 1997.

This was a great long par 5 pic taken last fall after being turned in to pasture. :(

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Ping Anser 20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X

Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  12782WRX Points: 3,590Handicap: 5.0Posts: 12,782 Titanium Tees

We just lost Indian Wells in Garden City Dec 21st--- That was my home course for 20 years and 4 ownership changes. I have to drive by it everyday. Also we lost Possum Trot in North Myrtle back in October from what I was told. One of the oldest courses here takes you back to golf in the 70s in this area.

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special
    LW Wilson Harmonized 60 Stock TT shaft
    Putter Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 1997 vintage "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

Advertisement
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  12782WRX Points: 3,590Handicap: 5.0Posts: 12,782 Titanium Tees

Yep I was not in love with that course but hated to see it go.

Posted:

• sittingbullsittingbull Members  18WRX Points: 23Handicap: 4Posts: 18 Bunkers

Wicked Stixs. Myrtle Beach use to play that every year on our trips. Loved. The par 5 markers that said ==to far just hit it ==

Posted:

Funny how even courses you don't like or sometimes outright hate still hurt to lose. Sunol Valley was little more than a cow pasture and I would never choose to play there unless there was nothing else. But when I heard it was closing I was playing multiple rounds, taking pictures, even got a flag. It may have been a dump but it was MY dump. (And a lot of players in the region felt the same; before the announcements you could always walk on. In the last weeks you simply couldn't get a tee time)

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60

• MedsonMedson Members  2595WRX Points: 247Posts: 2,595 Titanium Tees

Santa Clara GC was closed in Oct 2019. To be honest, I was surprised it was not closed when 49ers’ opened their Levi’s stadium. That piece of land in the heart of Silicon Valley is way too valuable to hit golf balls.

If you live in that part of San Francisco Bay Area, your only option is the about to open TopGolf facility. :)

Posted:

What is funny about that deal is literally the day after it closed the dozers were there doing their thing. Where the club house sat there is now an Aldi grocery store. The church I went to at that time ended up with all the concrete parking lot stop blocks free of charge. Actually my boss let us borrow my road tractor with the step deck and a forklift to get them. Most courses that close here sit undeveloped for years case in point Bay Tree sat closed right at 13 years before finally being developed . Robbers Roost the same amount of time. I used to play "The Stick" as we called it quite a bit because the pro then was an old Mini Tour bud. He was long gone to Florida before it closed. Lots of memories there too. One time we were playing #9 and a airplane landed in the 10th fairway with engine trouble. It was one of those beach banner planes. He made a great landing and no one was hurt and there was no damage to the course

Posted:

Advertisement
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members  4148WRX Points: 471Handicap: 8.2Posts: 4,148 Titanium Tees

Shame to see San Geronimo gone. Played a couple of times back in 2002 when I was on an assignment at UCSF Medical Center.

Same with Adobe Creek

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.5) Hzrdus Yellow 75 5.5
    Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
    Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95CW R (2019 Forged Tec Modus 105 R trial run ) 
    Vokey SM7 50/8 F
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1/ '16 Tiki
     Bridgestone Tour B RXS / ProV1 / Snell MTB Black
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13545WRX Points: 2,415Handicap: 1.6Posts: 13,545 Titanium Tees

The course my house backs onto

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* VTS Red 100Hx
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6 - PW UST 95 Recoil
    Ping Glide SS 50* & 54* wrx 110 Recoil
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil 
    Piretti Matera Elite 

• MaxBuckMaxBuck Members  490WRX Points: 228Posts: 490 Greens

The past ten years have cost central Ohio the following:

Winding Hollow CC (private)

Oakhurst CC (private)

Riviera CC (private)

Bridgeview GC (semiprivate)

Blackhawk GC (public)

Minerva Lakes GC (public - and the only course on which I've shot even par)

Raccoon International GC (public)

High Lands GC (private)

Phoenix Golf Links (public)

Shamrock GC (public)

Indian Springs GC (public)

There may be others. Frankly none of these is particularly worth mourning, except by those with their own nostalgic reasons.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DrOldSchoolDrOldSchool Noblesville, INMembers  643WRX Points: 325Handicap: 3.9Posts: 643 Golden Tee

Course I grew up playing back in Maryland - West Winds near New Market, MD closed a couple years ago. Had a couple goofy holes, and they ruined a few more when they stuck additional houses along it in the early 90s but played there many times in my teen years, up to a rainy Christmas round a few years ago. Sad to see it go, would hate to live in that neighborhood now. Couple others closed around Frederick that couldn't keep up with development and the bigger boys that opened in the golf boom - the 9 hole VFW course and executive course Hope Valley (which was a Boy Scout camp before a golf course when I was a kid).

Since I moved to Indiana, a couple courses I enjoyed have closed. Stonehenge was a fun course that I played just once a few weeks before it shut down. It was a nice layout, and had a neat clubhouse. Killbuck near Anderson was Ford or GM's private course back in the day, and it was good for an after work round since it was about half way between work and home. Nothing special, but had some tricky greens.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.