Ping Eye2 1 iron and Lob Wedge

BIG STU ·  
BIG STUBIG STU Members  12796WRX Points: 3,623Handicap: 5.0Posts: 12,796 Titanium Tees

Was messing around on the yard this morning waiting to get my trailer loaded and there were 3 Goodwill bins that came in late yesterday afternoon. Of course I am going to look expect anything different from me? Mostly POS clones no good shafts or grips. Then I made a find---- Found a Ping Eye2 1 iron and Ping Eye2 LW. What my question is for all you Ping guys is what do I have? I know there are + and No+ but these have no plus marks at all. They also have the blue band Ping KTM shafts in them. But any info or opinions you Ping experts could give me would be appreciated. Kinda like the way the LW sits and I have always heard they were great sand clubs. I know that Zing I have is one great sand club. I do know the LW is non - conforming but that does not make 2 hoots to me. Thanks In Advance Stu

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

Comments

• dan360dan360 loisible Members  5555WRX Points: 534Posts: 5,555 Titanium Tees

Send some pictures STU! Do they say PAT pending or have a particular patent number?

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  12796WRX Points: 3,623Handicap: 5.0Posts: 12,796 Titanium Tees

Dan thanks for the quick comeback. I had some trouble posting pics before the update and now it is impossible. Both clubs have the same patent nos.

US Pat 9276644 then under that 4.512577. If you are looking at the bottom of the club at the rear ( top line at address) KARSTEN Phoenix AZ 85068 USA. Also if you look at the back to the left of the eye indention there is a raised number 2

LW SN--- 544718

1 iron SN -- B32850

What is also funny the SN on the LW is stamped horizontal on the hosel and the 1 iron is stamped vertical. I will add both are black dots. Trust me I looked for the whole set because a year ago I found a whole set of red dots from the 1 iron to the LW. I had less than $2 in the whole set at scrap prices and sold them just before Christmas for $150. These 2 I think I am going to keep. Put the 1 iron in my collection and maybe game the LW in my front line bag. But thanks for any info you can come up with. These 2 clubs I have a whopping 0.25 in as in 25 cents

Posted:

• Sean2Sean2 Members  32506WRX Points: 2,526Posts: 32,506 Titanium Tees

On a side note, when my son played golf in high school he didn't care much for hybrids so I found a Ping Eye 2 1-iron on eBay with his exact specs. He loved that club. Still has it, but doesn't play golf anymore. I hit it a few times. I could get it airborne, just not very high, but it was great for punching out, lol.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 MichiganMembers  4710WRX Points: 2,340Posts: 4,710 Titanium Tees

Sleuthing around with a few bookmarks I have saved:

The patent numbers are consistent with square groove Ping Eye 2's (made Fall '85 - Spring '90). Believe the "2" is a mold number reference and doesn't indicate anything of significance other than that.

The horizontal serial # stamping is weird. Never heard of that. The + no + had the Eye 2 grooves but with the Eye 2+ sole. Hence the no + in the cavity.

Edit add: For the record. The 1 iron loft = 16*, the LW = 61*.

The KT-M shaft (KT Modified) is a lighter weight shaft and a progression of the Ping shafts in E2's. From Ping archives and copied from a another thread:

CS-LITE (Regular & Stiff): Weight: 93.9 ®, 107.3 (S) Torque: 1.8 ®, 1.7 (S) Description: Lightweight steel shaft that has a mid flex point and a mid to soft tip section. A very common shaft found in the G2 and G5 series. Ball Flight: This shaft is designed to hit the ball the highest of all of the shafts offered at this flex.

Z-Z65 (Stiff): Weight: 108.8g Torque: 1.6 Description: An updated version of the ZZ-Lite. Lightweight steel shaft that has a high flex point and stiff tip section. This shaft is only offered in stiff. The Z-Z65 is similar in flex to a Dynamic Gold S300, but is much lighter in weight. A very common shaft in ISI irons through current iron offerings. Ball Flight: This shaft is designed for a mid-ball flight due to the weight. It should fly lower then the CS-Lite and higher than the DGS and DGX.

ZZ-LITE (Stiff): Weight: 115.0g Torque: 1.9 Description: Very similar to the Z-Z65 but heavier in weight. The ZZ-Lite has a high flex point and stiff tip section. A very common shaft in Eye 2 irons. Ball Flight: Same as the Z-Z65. (NOT available for new orders)

JZ (Regular & Stiff): Weight: 109.8g ®, 115.1g (S) Torque: 1.9 ® 1.7 (S) Description: A mid weight steel shaft that plays a little softer than the Z-Z65 and ZZ-Lite. A very common shaft in Zing, Zing 2, and ISI irons. Ball Flight: Due to the mid flex point of this shaft it is designed to hit the ball between the CS-Lite and the Z-Z65. (NOT available for new orders)

DGS (Stiff): Weight: 124.5g Torque: 1.5 Description: Dynamic Gold S-400. A heavy shaft with a high flex point and a stiff tip section. Ball Flight: Weight of this shaft should hit the ball lower then all of the shafts except the DGX.

DGX (X-Stiff): Weight: 122.8g Torque: 1.4 Description: Dynamic Gold X-100. A heavy shaft with a high flex point and a very stiff tip section. Ball Flight: This shaft is heavy and aimed at players with a high swing speed or quick tempo. The shaft should produce the lowest ball flight of all shafts listed.

KT & KT-M (Stiff): Weight: 106g Torque: 1.9 Description: A mid weight shaft with a high flex point and stiff tip section. These shafts are most commonly found in Eye2, and Zing irons. Ball Flight: Mid, similar to ZZ-Lite (NOT available for new orders)

Microtaper (Stiff): Weight: 115g Torque: 1.9 Description: A mid-weight shaft with a high flex point and stiff tip section. This shaft is very similar to the KT Shaft. Most commonly found in the K series, Eye, and Eye 2 irons. Ball Flight: Mid, similar to ZZ-Lite (NOT available for new orders)

Posted:
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • golfunderpar18golfunderpar18 Members  340WRX Points: 130Posts: 340 Greens

Here is my gamer and based on your description sounds the same as yours. I bought mine new in a barrel of a sports store in Florida back in 1990 and it’s barely left my bag. I game it today. I’m not sure what I’d do out of the bunkers without it. I hit crazy lobs with it also with full confidence. Only modifications on mine are the white paint fill on the pat pending and karsten Phoenix address. I did that to differentiate its from my others as I bought “back ups” that sit in my storage area. I likely have about half a dozen others in stainless and becu. A great find big Stu! I do have the full set of these also that i gamed for many years. 3-Pw matching serial numbers plus added a 1 and 2 irons. I used the 1 iron for a long time and I used to crush it.

Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  12796WRX Points: 3,623Handicap: 5.0Posts: 12,796 Titanium Tees

Thanks Fella and golfunderpar18----- It never ceases to amaze me the wealth of knowledge on here. Under Par mine is identical to yours except as you noted the white paint fill you did. And mine has the same casting or mold number as yours as Fella told me about. I had wanted one for some time since I have became educated on them. I have a Zing I found from the same source and I can just about get out of any trap with it but that thing is fugly. I am dying to try that LW this weekend but it has been raining and cold for 2 days now. I guess I should not complain though my brothers to the North of me in NC got the white stuff and ice.

On the 1 iron I gamed a K-1 for years and in fact still have it. I also gamed a Eye2 1 iron for years had a X-100 shaft in it and gobs of lead tape. I messed around and converted it a while back to a HM-40 graphite or wussed it out as I told Augie the other night. I am going to try this one for sure. But thanks again guys for the Ping Education 101

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dan360dan360 loisible Members  5555WRX Points: 534Posts: 5,555 Titanium Tees

Awesome. Those were same as my second set. Had the pat pending ones first.

That 1 iron will knock a Tour Edition 262 yards on the fly if you turn the mass.

I like my new PM Grind ‘19 wedges because they look and play just like those Eye 2s. Seeing how much Phil respects the Eye 2 wedges it’s not surprising.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I never could hit it that far on the fly back in the day but I hit a little stinger cut that would roll out about that far on those sun baked hard clay Carolina fairways. You know me well and know darn well I will try that 1 iron since it does have a lighter shaft. I can still hit one in fact the one Stick sent me which is an old Tourney Custom I can still hit quail high about 185 carry and 20 yards run out. My old K-1 with an S-300 I hit about the same.

Posted:

Under Par you are about as big of a collector on those as I am about old 588s especially rusty 588s. Those BECU ones patina up nicely down here in this salt air environment

Posted:

• golfunderpar18golfunderpar18 Members  340WRX Points: 130Posts: 340 Greens

I have some becu Cleveland’s also.

yep been a big ping wedge player since the late 80’s. Love the becu patina over time.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • russadrussad Members  408WRX Points: 78Posts: 408 Greens

Stu, if you email Ping with the serial numbers they will email you back with info for each club. Also I have never seen a horizontal serial number on a Ping iron, would love to see a picture of it if you can work out how to do it.

Posted:

OK thanks. I am retiring at the end of March and will have time to get my computer guy over and sort things out. I know one thing that stock 1 iron is a pocket rocket. I played a walking 9 holes yesterday with 8 clubs and hit that thing.

Posted:

• elwhippyelwhippy Members  3427WRX Points: 348Posts: 3,427 Titanium Tees

Those lob wedges are great. A shame none of them are tournament legal.

Posted:

Well they were until John Solheim after Karsten died caved in to the USGA and had the injunction lifted. Which for me I could care less I do not play stipulated comps any more and none of the groups I play in give two hoots anyhow what anyone plays.

Posted:

• russadrussad Members  408WRX Points: 78Posts: 408 Greens

Stu, when I wrote email them it may have been misleading. If you go to Ping's website, they have a 'contact us' tab which you fill in and they will reply to your email address. As you are in the States you could probably call them and get the info you want over the phone as well. I use their contact service for all my Ping clubs and find them very helpful.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.