Moving to NJ and need golf and proximity to mid town

GolfingFamily ·  
GolfingFamilyGolfingFamily Members  1WRX Points: 0Posts: 1 Starters

My wife just took a new job in mid town in NYC and we are wanting to move to some place in NJ that she can get to work via train or ferry less than an hour and I can get to golf course in around 30 minutes. I'm retired and a single digit handicap but I just like to get out 3-4 days a week and play a round with great guys. While I'd be willing to pay an initiation fee, I'm a bit cheap and want something pretty modest. I'm completely fine with a public option as long as there's a half decent practice range. I'd appreciate any help as the area is new to us.

Posted:

Comments

• DNice26DNice26 Members  4192WRX Points: 164Posts: 4,192 Titanium Tees

Check out the Suffern NY area or Bergen county NJ. Suffern has Spook Rock, a great local public course. Lots of courses nearby. NJT Train runs through Suffern.

Posted:

TaylorMade M6 10.5, Graphite Design 6X, 45.25"
    TaylorMade RBZ Tour Issue 18, Aldila Tour Blue 7X
    Ping G410 19 hybrid, Tensai Blue 8TX
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • sabramsabram Members  1597WRX Points: 202Posts: 1,597 Platinum Tees

I've been commuting to Mid town for 40 years. I'm not a fan of the NJT trains because you have to switch trains and end up at Penn Station. Unfortunately, the bus is the better alternative for me, but still not a great commute. If you can afford Westchester, that's the best commute to mid town. The metro north trains fro Westchester to Grand Central are really good. In any event, from Bergen I get a bus from the Montvale park & Ride which is a 40 minute ride to the Port Authority if you catch a bus before 7:00 am After that it can take between 50 minutes and an hour depending on traffic and weather. The Parking is free and the bus on that route is very reliable. Montvale is very nice place to live and there are other nice towns nearby: Park Ridge, River Vale, Hillsdale, Washington, Westwood. River Vale Country Club is semi private and the best bang for the buck course in the area IMO. If you join, you get a reserved tee time every Saturday, Sunday and Holiday Monday. You can make other tee times before the tee sheet becomes available to the public. They hired a new superintendent a few years ago and he does an amazing job. The course has been in as good condition as the private clubs in the area and the greens have been very fast. I play early mornings on the weekends and the pace of play is under 4 hours. Although it slows up later in the day. I was a member of a private club for more than 25 years before I left to join River Vale. I'm saving money and playing a very nice course.

Another good option is the West Orange/Maplewood area. You can get to Midtown in less than an hour by public transportation and can play Rock Spring Golf Club. It was a private club for many years and just went public last year. The town bought it, but there is no guaranty how long it will remain open as there are rumors of it being sold for other purposes, but it is a great layout designed by Seth Raynor. It still has the Raynor greens and bunkers and is a joy to play. I'm not sure if they offer memberships with guarantied tee times the way River Vale does and don't know what the pace of play is like during peak season.

There are a number of decent public courses in Bergen County as well as neighboring Hudson and Essex and Rockland (NY), but none are as good options as River Vale and Rock Spring.

IM me if you have questions. I'd be happy to have you join me for a round at River Vale

Here are links to photo tours of River Vale and Rock Spring. The Rock Spring Photos were taken in late autumn and do not do justice to the course.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157652794421453 - River Vale CC Pix

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157711743602266 Rock Spring Pix

Posted:
  • AllShowNoGo82AllShowNoGo82 Members  12WRX Points: 14Posts: 12 Bunkers

Off the top of my head, I don't recall many north jersey courses that have practice ranges on site. Driving ranges are usually stand alone businesses spread about.

For 1 hour commute to Midtown, I'd suggest South Orange, Maplewood, Millburn, Short Hills, or Summit. These stations have direct trains that go to Penn Station. If you decide on Summit, you'll be within 30-40min driving to the following public courses:

Francis Byrne (West Orange)

Rock Spring (West Orange)

Knoll East (Lake Hiawatha)

Galloping Hill (Kenilworth) - great practice facility

Flanders Valley (Flanders)

Warrenbrook (Warren)

Spooky Brook (Somerset)

Roycebrook (Hillsborough Township) - great practice facility

Neshanic Valley (Neshanic Station) - great practice facility

Plus there are a ton of private courses in that area as well. Good luck on your hunt!

Posted:
  • jenniechasejenniechase Members  5WRX Points: 5Posts: 5 Starters

great

Posted:
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4897WRX Points: 622Posts: 4,897 Titanium Tees

I lived just outside of Princeton years ago in Plainsboro. From the Princeton station, it was a straight shot to Penn Station in Manhattan, about an hour ride on the NE Corridor line.

Posted:
  • silverbackstersilverbackster Members  8WRX Points: 14Handicap: 18Posts: 8 Bunkers

I play a lot near Atlantic City, NY / Egg harbor township.... best courses in NJ.

However anything closure to NJ, not that many great course but good amount muni courses. However second pick would be South Plainfield NJ.

Westchester, NY has good quality golf.

Expect heavy rush during summer during weekend. This wont affect you as you might enjoy them during weekdays.

Moving to Westchester County is expensive but with better quality course. As well as Faifield county in Connecticut.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.