Whipping coming loose from Louisville Golf driver

humphereydumpherey ·  
humphereydumphereyhumphereydumpherey Members  15WRX Points: 6Posts: 15 Bunkers
Joined:  edited Feb 23, 2020 9:51pm in Hickory, Persimmon and Classic Clubs #1

I tried to post earlier but... I bought a refurbished louisville golf 50s classic driver recently and the whipping started to come loose early on with just some range play, in turf mats, which must have started it.

Still, my other woods have never come loose despite heavy range mat use.

They won't respond to my emails and the local proshop can't repair whipping. I added some tape as a last ditch effort but it has loosened further with just a few extra swings.

Is this bad workmanship? It's a shame as their stuff is like works of art. Due to their bad email response times I will be wary to buy anything more from them. Is it worth repairing or will it just come undone again?

Notice the adjacent 1950c Amour 3 wood with perfect whipping.

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • robert hornemanrobert horneman ClubWRX  1071WRX Points: 107Posts: 1,071 Platinum Tees

Excellent step by step process deejaid. Original poster should able to do it. There are some very good vids on You Tube that may also help.

Posted:
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ WinnipegClubWRX  10068WRX Points: 1,009Handicap: 4ishPosts: 10,068 ClubWRX

Let's assume that the whipping job was done correctly. If so, then one common reason is that there is a crack in the wooden hosel and as the club impacts the ball, there is enough movement to force the whipping to come loose. Take off all the whipping and put the head under load and check for cracks in the neck. If that is the case, the shaft has to come out and the head epoxied. Sometimes you could inject epoxy into the crack, but that doesn't always work.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• raggal62raggal62 Members  625WRX Points: 136Handicap: 4Posts: 625 Golden Tee

Another possibility is the head can be loose. From the photo it appears the club had been pinned, but I have seen in the past where a slightly loose head can result in a separation of the head and ferrule, thus causing a winding failure of the whipping.

It's also entirely possible the ferrule itself has worked loose, albeit a rare scenario.

Posted:
  • SteveNZSteveNZ Members  709WRX Points: 150Posts: 709 Golden Tee

Heartily echo what @robert horneman said. That’s a great guide. Terrific stuff DJ.

Posted:
  • humphereydumphereyhumphereydumpherey Members  15WRX Points: 6Posts: 15 Bunkers

Very helpful guide, which I am grateful for, although unfortunately at the moment I don't have any room or equipment to do any of that myself.

If it is the head, how did the head get loose so fast? I have read other reports on here at Louisville Golf persimmon heads chipped or cracked. Delicate worksmanship? They won't even respond to my emails. Back to vintage Hogan ...

Posted:

Advertisement

To check for a loose head take the grip in one hand and the head in the other and twist in opposite directions. Confirming a solid connection should rule out that particular cause for the loose whipping.

Posted:
  • humphereydumphereyhumphereydumpherey Members  15WRX Points: 6Posts: 15 Bunkers

Feels solid, as if just the.whipping is weak but the head for now is rigid. Will the loose whipping eventually loosen the head?

Posted:

No ... loose whipping won't loosen the head itself, but it might somewhat weaken the hosel if not repaired. I would discontinue use until you can get it fixed. Hopefully you can locate an old school repair guy in your area. It is fairly evident they are becoming dinosaurs.

Posted:

Louisville golf says the whipping protects the "neck" from water and potential hairline cracking. Does that mean "hosel"? Hairline cracking to the hosel?

Posted:
  • farmerfarmer Members  8597WRX Points: 1,035Posts: 8,597 Titanium Tees

The neck is considered the hosel. Without the whipping, the top part of the neck, being very thin, will crack. You don't have to have equipment to do the whipping, I used to do it holding the club between my legs. You don't have to use golf specific cord, heavy fishing line will work. It's really not hard, it just takes some practice.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dg18dg18 Members  21WRX Points: 53Posts: 21 Bunkers

Send to izett golf Ardmore Pa. if you can’t fix it .They do beautiful work

Posted:
  • ping ratping rat Members  961WRX Points: 50Posts: 961 Golden Tee

Where are you located? I would be happy to do it for you if you are around the Houston Tx area.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
    Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
    Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
    Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
    Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
    Too many putters
    WITB Link

I'll send it to Louisville golf... The local "club doctor" days he hasn't even seen whipping in seven years.

The era has passed ... The robots won

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.