Persistent Draft Auto-Save Disruption

storm319 ·  
storm319storm319 USMembers  4236WRX Points: 453Posts: 4,236 Titanium Tees

I am not sure how long this has been occurring, but I have recently noticed that when drafting a reply to a post, the site temporarily disables the editing box/submission button while it saves the draft every minute. This has become very disruptive when drafting longer responses as it basically lags the whole page when the procedure is in progress. I am sure the end users network chain (device, browser, LAN, IP) will impact the duration of the interruption which is not really controllable by the site. I have only experienced this on the full site on a PC, moble site seems unaffected.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it really necessary to auto-save drafts every minute?

Posted:

Comments

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  6795WRX Points: 1,176Handicap: 7.7Posts: 6,795 Titanium Tees

You're right, its basically how fast the connection is. I happen to be out of the country at the moment and my connection, while actually pretty good, isn't as fast as at home in SoFla.

In SoFla, it's a quick blip, probably doesn't last more than a second, but here it is usually a bit more noticeable.

But the alternative is what ? Surely you wouldn't want to lose your work, especially of a long post as you mention, and not have a draft (of at least most of it) saved.

Strangely enough, as I was typing this I was watching for the "save". It was really very quick and didn't interrupt me at all. In fact the typing progressed on screen AS the draft was being saved,

FWIW, right now I'm on a DELL Laptop, Chrome

Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.