POSSIBLE WRONG SHAFT SELECTION IN NEW PXG IRONS. ANY RECOURSE?

wings02 ·  
wings02wings02 Members  58WRX Points: 46Handicap: 10Posts: 58 Bunkers

I received my new Gen 3 PXG irons last week and I'm thinking I possibly made a wrong selection in the shaft. I did go to a PXG fitting center and after comparing some statistics, the Accra 60i was the choice. After a brief driving range session and playing 18 holes, I think the Accra shaft seems a little too soft. I am going to call the fitting center I went to along with PXG to discuss this situation. I may be leaning toward the KBS TGI 70g shaft. My question is two-fold. Has anyone who purchased PXG irons changed the shafts shortly after purchasing the clubs? And, does anyone have experience playing KBS TGI shafts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Posted:

Comments

• Adam CAdam C Members  734WRX Points: 402Handicap: 4Posts: 734 Golden Tee

What do you mean they feel too soft? Is there a ball flight issue you believe is stemming from the shaft flex? Or do they just feel softer than you would like or are used to? What were you coming from before?

I would argue that one range session and 18 holes isn't enough time to make any final decisions on the clubs, especially if you were coming from a different shaft weight class before.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • HateTheHighDrawHateTheHighDraw Members  2486WRX Points: 111Posts: 2,486 Platinum Tees

I imagine there’s some sort of return/exchange policy that can help

Posted:
  • buckrogers71buckrogers71 Members  425WRX Points: 131Posts: 425 Greens

I agree with this. If its a weight/ ball flight thing, you should give it some time. I went from Mizuno 825 pros with KBS tours to Srixon 585 with modus 105s. Holy Smokes!!!! I hated them the first few times out, had a set of KBS tours lined up to toss in there. I'm glad i didnt and my bones thank me for it too. Maybe just give it some time?

Posted:
  • dalillama47dalillama47 Members  1311WRX Points: 143Posts: 1,311 Platinum Tees

Just make sure you do it within 30 days. Had a putter fitting and was put into a putter that just didn't end up working for me. I was **** bent on giving it a true trial and actually thought I had 90 days. Didn't want to give up on it to quick, but found out the playability was only 30 days to return. Quite disappointed with them to be perfectly honest.

Posted:
    Srixon Z785
    Srixon F85 3 & 5
    Srixon H85 #4 22*
    Srixon Z585 5 iron, Z785 6-pw
    Cleveland RTX 4, 50,54, & 58
    Black Lab BL-7, stainless 
    Srixon 2019 Z Star

• wings02wings02 Members  58WRX Points: 46Handicap: 10Posts: 58 Bunkers

I was playing UST Recoil 660 F3 shafts in a set of older Callaway Apex irons. My ball flight in both the UST and Accra is about the same, mid-high. I seem to be losing a little distance in the PXG's as compared to the Apex irons.

As for the feeling of being a little soft in feel, I get the same feeling when I swing the Accra shaft as that of a senior flex shaft. I know these clubs are new and I need to play more with them but I do not want to go past the 30 day return policy PXG has.

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2674WRX Points: 926Posts: 2,674 Titanium Tees

What pxg iron head?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • AnserAnser ClubWRX  2232WRX Points: 142Posts: 2,232 Platinum Tees

How long do you think you should be able to buy a golf club, use it which reduces it's value, then return it? It's not a "trial", you bought it. The return policy states unused condition.

Posted:
    TM M5 9.5 - Tour AD IZ 7s
    TM M6  5 HL, Tour AD IZ 7s
    Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
    Srixon Z585 6-AW, Modus 105 s
    Cleveland RTX 54/58
    TaylorMade HiToe 64
    Evnroll ER-5, Evnroll ER-2.1
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1586WRX Points: 798Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,586 Platinum Tees

I can't believe they even offer a 30 day trial on used irons? That's insane to me, if I was OP I'd plan on buying a new set of shafts and thinking it through a little more this time rather than expecting others to fix my mistake. Hope it works out for the best.

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

Just to clarify, I called PXG and they allow one free shaft change within the first 30 days. I am going to be re-evaluated by a PXG fitter.

Posted:
  • buckeyevalleybuckeyevalley Members  418WRX Points: 93Posts: 418 Greens

Wow. Excellent customer service if you ask me.

Posted:
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members  842WRX Points: 165Handicap: 4Posts: 842 Golden Tee

If PXG fitted you for the Accra, is this just buyer's remorse? Don't see what would change if you go to another fitting, but never know. If you're doubting your purchase, you'll always have in the back of your mind.

When I got fitted, I was surprised at what was recommended, I went with it, and after just a couple rounds realized fitter knew what they were doing...then again, I didn't go to an OEM, and did go to a Top 100 fitter from Golf/Golf Digest (don't recall which, doesn't matter, he's worked with several PGA and LPGA pros, some major winners in his client list).

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ Tensei AV Blue 65
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 2.0 Slate 58/64
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3

Advertisement
  • dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the game MinnesotaMembers  1961WRX Points: 472Handicap: 13.0Posts: 1,961 Platinum Tees

Similar story but with Club Champion and my PXG 0211’s. Went in playing DG Pro S300 shafts (120+ grams) and was fit into MMT Stiff 80 gram graphite shafts. Couldn’t believe it but after giving them an adjustment period I can’t imaging swing anything that “heavy” again.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
    Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
    Callaway Rogue Heavenwood w/ Project X Evenflow Blue 75
    PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
    PXG 0211 5-PW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
    Cleveland CBX 52* w/ Rotex Graphite
    Cleveland CBX 56* w/ Rotex Graphite 
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe Bigfoot 58* w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • dalillama47dalillama47 Members  1311WRX Points: 143Posts: 1,311 Platinum Tees

I'll admit, my bad for not adhering to the 30 days, and it's not on an unused product. Went into the fitting letting the fitter do his thing, put me in something I haven't been in for years and figured maybe this is what I need. Just was not right. On another note regarding return policies, the likes of Golferwarehouse and their affiliates offer a 90 day playability guarantee, you think ANYBODY are bringing their clubs back brand new. I think not, and they allow the consumer to do that twice.

Posted:
    Srixon Z785
    Srixon F85 3 & 5
    Srixon H85 #4 22*
    Srixon Z585 5 iron, Z785 6-pw
    Cleveland RTX 4, 50,54, & 58
    Black Lab BL-7, stainless 
    Srixon 2019 Z Star

FYI, PXG's 30 day return policy allows for custom clubs to be returned in used condition. They allow one re-shaft free of charge during that time. If you are just returning custom built clubs, there is a 10% restocking fee plus shipping charges. All other merchandise can returned only in unused condition.

Posted:

And talks about playing older apex but doesn’t say which head and only gen 3 irons again doesn’t say what head so could be a combo of things causing issue. If there was a distance loss that should have been somewhat evident in the fitting

Posted:

Original Apex irons D1 swing weight, UST Recoil 660 F3 shaft, PXG gen 3 "P" model, 2 degree upright, standard length and lie. Constructive criticism and advise is greatly appreciated

Posted:

Advertisement

Iirc loft for loft the apex 14s are the same as 0311p. The pxgs iirc play a little longer (not sure if both brands measure the same way).

Ir could be how your swing reacts to the recoil vice the Accra, could be the ball striking wasnt as good on your range and course days. You haven’t really had time to adjust to on course play with the new clubs and some people swing differently in fitting than how they do on the course especially indoors...see this comment on several forums about people’s preferences for outdoor fittings.

Did you notice any distance difference during the fitting when comparing baseline numbers on your apex against the pxg irons? When you say losing distance are you referring to carry or total?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.