Golfweek Am Tour advice?

anythingfinite ·  
anythingfiniteanythingfinite Members  18WRX Points: 19Posts: 18 Bunkers

I just signed up for the local section of the Golfweek Am Tour. Its cheap and a great way to play the uber-exclusive clubs in this area/region.

With that said, I've never played competitive golf in my life...even with my buddies. I'm currently a 7.3, which puts me toward the end of the "A flight" (4-8.9).

Any tips or advice?

Posted:

Comments

• BreakingTeesBreakingTees Members  12WRX Points: 12Posts: 12 Bunkers

Im jealous. I wish there were tournaments in my area. Have fun and good luck!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • davep043davep043 Members  4877WRX Points: 2,104Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,877 Titanium Tees

If you're just starting to play competitively, the most important thing to do is to have fun. Keep your expectations for yourself modest, understand that you'll hit bad shots and have bad rounds, don't let the quality of your performance stop you from enjoying yourself. Look around, the guys you're with won't care what you shoot, they're too busy caring about what THEY shoot. So play at the appropriate pace, maintain a good attitude, and enjoy your days on the courses.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• PulledabillPulledabill Members  445WRX Points: 72Handicap: 6Posts: 445 Greens

I went in to tourny play last year and was super nervous. I played well and cashed in 3 of 5 I believe. Relax, laugh. and enjoy. Good luck

Posted:
  • TimK1TimK1 Members  320WRX Points: 209Posts: 320 Greens

Great advice. Nobody cares what you are shooting. I used to be nervous all the time but one tournamnet a guy pulled me aside and said these very words to me. He basically, in a nice way said, I could care less how you play, I'm worried about my own game and nobody else cares either. I was able to relax and just play. It is just another round of golf. The only thing that makes it seem like more is your own head telling you it means more. It doesn't. Your not making your living at it so enjoy it!

I have played in many local district and State Am tournaments. I play seven or eight events a summer. We have a golf channel local tour but not many play in it. They get maybe ten guys a tournament. It was over expensive in my opinion. You end up paying double the amount for basicaly a glorified round of golf on courses I could play anyway. I do maintian my membership on it for a fill in tournament if need be. I like to play a trournament a week all summer but it is mostly on the State Am series which has 20 events all over the state.

Posted:
  • zwiggyzzwiggyz Members  27WRX Points: 19Handicap: 3.7Posts: 27 Bunkers

So if you're below a 4 handicap, where do they place you? Is there a flight that's lower than the A flight?

Posted:

WITB

Driver: TM M5 w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3W: Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ TourAD FW7 S

DI: Srixon ZU85 21 degree w/ Oban Revenge 85HBX

4-pw: Srixon 785 w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120X

50/55: TM Milled Grind 2 w/ KBS 610 Wedge S+

59: TM HiToe w/ KBS 610 Wedge S+

Putter: SC Newport 2.0

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  4808WRX Points: 689Posts: 4,808 Titanium Tees

I used to play a lot tournaments many years ago. The advice I'd give my younger self it to keep the ball in play and aim for the middle of greens and take your medicine once you're out of position. Once you're out of position or miss a green, make bogey your worst score. Don't try to hit some perfect shot to save par.

Relax and have fun. It's just golf.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • zwiggyzzwiggyz Members  27WRX Points: 19Handicap: 3.7Posts: 27 Bunkers

Even when my money matches with my buddies get intense, I always remind myself that it's just a round of golf; there are plenty of worse things we could be doing.

Posted:

WITB

Driver: TM M5 w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3W: Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ TourAD FW7 S

DI: Srixon ZU85 21 degree w/ Oban Revenge 85HBX

4-pw: Srixon 785 w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120X

50/55: TM Milled Grind 2 w/ KBS 610 Wedge S+

59: TM HiToe w/ KBS 610 Wedge S+

Putter: SC Newport 2.0

• DashfastDashfast ChicagoMembers  67WRX Points: 21Handicap: 10Posts: 67 Bunkers

Is anyone else here in the Chicago chapter? There's some interesting stuff going on at the moment. Basically, if you paid for tournaments for this season, the payments are not valid because the guy we made payments to is no longer involved with the Golf Week Am Tour. So, now we have to track down refunds and re-pay. Also, side note, the Broadmoor season opened for Indy Am Tour was just cancelled. So, waiting on a refund from that as well...

Posted:
    Ping G400 Driver 10, Alta Stiff
    Ping G400 2 Hybrid
    Ping i20 3-P
    Ping Glide 52 SS, 56 WS, 60 ES
    Bettinardi BB1 2018
    Vice Pro+ Ball
    Sun Mountain Bag or Ping Moonlite

• Bushwood Country ClubBushwood Country Club Bushwood Country Club Members  910WRX Points: 119Handicap: 8.8Posts: 910 Golden Tee

About 15 years, ago I was in almost the same shoes as you. My index was just below 9, and I signed up to begin playing in the Golf Channel AmTour. Here are the things I learned:

(1) In tournament golf, my "9" was not a very solid 9. Playing everything down holing every putt, and playing ROG for every shot led me to understand I was not as good as I thought I was. Pretty quickly, I moved down one flight.

(2) In a tournament, NEVER GIVE UP. In your flight, EVERYONE is going to have a bad hole. When you make a bad shot, (as others have said) take your medicine and play for bogey (or double bogey if you hit one OB). Do not let one bad shot (or two or three) ruin your mood and make you give up. Here is a real life example: In November, I played a GCAT tournament ( I am in the "Hogan" flight - Tournament Indexes 8-11.9). Very rainy, 2 hour delayed start - nad on the first hole, a par 5... I made a 10. It would have been easy to quit - but I looked around at the weather, took a deep breathe, and said "today, nobody in this flight will avoid a big number somewhere - so do not quit". 4 hours later, I was holding the trophy - I won the flight by one stroke.

(3) Have fun always - some days you will win, some days you will be at the back of the pack. No different that the guys who get paid to play golf.

Playing tournament golf changed me completely, and has made golf 2X more fun than it already was. Nothing compares to having butterflies over a putt that matters, or teeing off 18 knowing you are in the hunt

Good luck!

Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST, Tensei Orange  
    • Ping G410 3 wood, Ping Alta Shaft
    • Ping G410 3 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Forged  5-9, Nippon Modus 105
    • Callaway Jaws MD5 46,50,54,58/
    • Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.