Donald Ross design

Bogeygolfer55 ·  
Bogeygolfer55Bogeygolfer55 Members  79WRX Points: 63Posts: 79 Fairways

My goal is to play every Donald Ross design with Hickory or persimmon. Luckily I live in North Carolina so I can get a good start.

Posted:

Comments

• FoozleFoozle Members  24WRX Points: 25Posts: 24 Bunkers

Bogeygolfer, a fantastic challenge! As someone who lives very close to his birthplace and share your vintage golf passion I wish you all the best and look forward to updates on progress.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SwingingkSwingingk ClubWRX  665WRX Points: 193Posts: 665 ClubWRX

I like the idea. I've often thought of doing that with Stanley Thompson courses here in Canada. I have played Waskesiu and it's a real vintage lovers treat. Good luck and post your conquests!

Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  12775WRX Points: 3,564Handicap: 5.0Posts: 12,775 Titanium Tees

Absolutely--- I was born and raised in the Charlotte area so I have played quite a few Ross courses in my time. Maybe better hurry before some know it all redesigns them like they did at Carolina Country Club in Charlotte which was a Ross 1923 design. It ain't no where near that now. IMHO they ruined that place. A hidden gem unless they have messed it up in the last 10 years or so since I have been there is the front 9 at Mooresville Municipal. It was an original Ross design last I saw it. The back 9 was added much later and I do not know who designed it but it is one heck of a course. IMHO there is a special spot in H E L L designed for those that redesign and mess up the sanctity of a Ross course

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special
    LW Wilson Harmonized 60 Stock TT shaft
    Putter Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 1997 vintage "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

• hollabachgthollabachgt Members  721WRX Points: 162Handicap: 2.0Posts: 721 Golden Tee

Are you speaking of Carolina Golf Club in Charlotte? If so that's very surprising to hear that the restoration did not go well. Kris Spence is highly acclaimed for his Ross restoration work at places like Roaring Gap and Mimosa Hills.

Posted:
  • resnorresnor Members  473WRX Points: 137Posts: 473 Greens

There's a couple Ross designs up here in NH. Aaaaanndddd at least one on the Cape that I've played.

You're gonna have some traveling to do. Lol

Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  12775WRX Points: 3,564Handicap: 5.0Posts: 12,775 Titanium Tees

Yep Carolina Country Club in Charlotte--- Trust me it is messed up-- They did away with the first 3 holes completely and I think it was also #12 they did away with. My friend his family was members for over 50 years and he resigned some time ago and joined elsewhere. He feels like I do about Ross courses

Posted:

Advertisement
  • hollabachgthollabachgt Members  721WRX Points: 162Handicap: 2.0Posts: 721 Golden Tee

There is a Carolina Country Club in Spartanburg and another near Raleigh. Neither of those are Ross courses. The course in Charlotte is Carolina Golf Club.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't some of the work done to the course centered around redoing/removing non-original holes that were added to the property over time, and restoring the original Ross elements to the course? If it didn't turn out well, that's one thing, but if the course as it was 20 years ago was no longer a Ross that's a whole other thing. I couldn't find any property or hole drawings in the Tufts archives, so I'm curious what original sources they had to go on.

Edit: I did find an old routing drawing but I can not confirm the age. I see that since the drawing was made and today that the clubhouse was relocated and the holes reordered; 2 holes were added as new and the old holes converted into a driving range; and the loop of the original 15-16-17 were restored, with the par 3 being moved back to its earlier position. I'd imagine the creation of the two new holes is rather polarizing. especially as they are in stark contrast to the ones they replaced. How did the restoration of the par 3 turn out? Since the clubhouse was moved, did the original 6th & 7th play as the 1st & 2nd?

Posted:
    Post edited by hollabachgt on
  • BunkerFinderBunkerFinder Members  49WRX Points: 60Posts: 49 Bunkers

Great plan and good luck with it. Be sure to get some good pics on the way.

you will need to make the road trip up to New England.

Shennacossett in Groton CT is a nice track. But sadly 3 holes were redone because Pfizer wanted to expand their parking lot. But still beautiful course in the water

Crotched Mountain in NH is an interesting course. I’m personally not a fan, but it’s a good price and good challenge. Too many blind greens and fairways that runoff into poison ivy for my taste tho.

Posted:
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 MichiganMembers  4709WRX Points: 2,333Posts: 4,709 Titanium Tees

Number of Donald Ross courses here in Michigan. Oakland Hills being by far the most notable. Most are private and impossible to get on by someone with zero "connections". Did have the privilege of playing in an outing some number of years ago at Dearborn Country Club. When I played very little golf and didn't know a thing about golf course architects or Donald Ross.

But there is this little gem of a DR golf course in northern Michigan. Only 9 holes, opened for play in 1924. An absolute joy to play. Rather play this 2x then several of the much more expensive "resort' courses that are in the area. Especially on a nice early fall day. Make a point of playing there whenever we're in the area. A comfortable walk in the park, quite reasonable green fees. One of my favorite way under the radar courses in the state.

http://golfelkrapids.com

Posted:
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • Bad9Bad9 Members  4752WRX Points: 604Handicap: 9.2Posts: 4,752 Titanium Tees

There's also a private DR design called Riverside in Rothesay, New Brunswick.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
    Ping G400 7w/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 4h/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping G400 5h/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping G400 6-U/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping Glide 2.0 ES 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I didn’t know there was Don Ross course in Crotched Mountain! I’ll have to check it out.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jeggolfer68jeggolfer68 Members  240WRX Points: 54Handicap: 8Posts: 240 Fairways

Mill Creek Golf Course in Boardman, Ohio. 36 holes of pure Donald Ross. Built in the late 20's, public course. Once stated in a Golf Digest article that if you could take the best 18 out of the 36 holes, that 18 would be in Ross's top ten of all the courses he built.

Posted:

But do they have a 600+ yard par 6??

The Maplewood does. Lol

Posted:
  • jeggolfer68jeggolfer68 Members  240WRX Points: 54Handicap: 8Posts: 240 Fairways

No par 6. All four sides are par 35, a par 5, two par 3's, six par 4's per nine, all in a beautiful parkland setting. Pretty much flat with many sandtraps.

Posted:

It was more like what they did 25 or 30 years ago. The 1 st and 2nd holes were done away with and the driving range was put there. Back when I played it in Charlotte it was Carolina Golf and Country Club. Now going back in the recesses of my memory and it has been 25 years that drawing is somewhat different from when I played it. When I played it I was thinking #3 was one tough Par 3. Have a particular memory on that hole. Back in those days I could still hit a golf ball and we played from the back. I hit a 1 iron stiff into the wind and was about 3 feet behind the hole. My bud ( who was the member) hit a 2 iron and made an ace!! We still laugh about it to this day as I still say that was the dirtiest thing that ever happened to me on a golf course. I also have a memory on #12. Used to have to lay up on that hole and again the wind was blowing. I hit that same 1 iron and got into the creek. Now me and my bud was playing a money match and was down and had pressed. I decided to play mine out of the creek. Had this big old flange sand wedge that I liked that had came from Wal Mart. It was a Northwestern Chico Martinez. I holed that shot for a deuce and of course won the hole. From then on we called the creek "Chico's Creek". The next hole was a Par 3 and my bud stuffed it for a birdie. I think he eagled the next Par 5 and we ended up killing those guys. I know after the changes my bud left there and Joined over at Pine Island and today has a house on #16. He still gripes about the Carolina changes to this day

Posted:

• SteveNZSteveNZ Members  709WRX Points: 151Posts: 709 Golden Tee

Some of the best golf ever played has been well out of sight of any TV camera haha

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jonradusjonradus Members  75WRX Points: 64Posts: 75 Fairways

I play Pittsburgh’s Edgewood Country Club all the time. It’s an awesome course with great greens. It’s a little short and there are a couple of funky holes, but still challenging. Would be perfect for hickory.

Posted:
  • madeintheshademadeintheshade Members  22WRX Points: 16Posts: 22 Bunkers

There are quite a few in Massachusetts, including the Essex Country Club and Worcester Country Clubs to start...

Posted:
  • madeintheshademadeintheshade Members  22WRX Points: 16Posts: 22 Bunkers

Essex Country Club

There are quite a few in Massachusetts: Essex Country Club, Worcester Country Club, among many more.

Posted:
  • drew145drew145 Members  11WRX Points: 17Handicap: 10Posts: 11 Bunkers

Thanks Fellaheen, for the up north course info,Looked it up and plan on playing it this summer. I live down the street from Dearborn CC,played it a few times, I like it. This area(Detroit) has lot of Donald Ross designed courses, Warren Valley, western CC and I believe Rouge Park are all DR designed. never realized Elk Rapids had one.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.