First fitting experience

Stinger83 ·  
Stinger83Stinger83 Members, Paid BST  129WRX Points: 77Handicap: 2Posts: 129 Fairways

I've never been fit for any club I've purchased. But today I had a free iron/wedge fitting and I learned a lot. My game has been.....disappointing lately. I strike the ball well but my dispersion has suddenly grown massively. I'm never one to blame the arrow over the Indian so I just assumed I needed to practice more. Well after getting baseline numbers on trackman today I was amazed at how neutral my path and face numbers were. And I was saddened at how low my 6iron carry numbers were. 3-4 degrees down, 0-1/0-1 face to path. 93 mph with around 4800-5200 spin. Lots of shape left carrying 185.4. Ball speed 126 ish

about 30 minutes later everything changes when we eventually find our way into Ping Blueprint (half an inch shorter than I typically play - I'm 6/3 but always played +.5" but actually standard works better bc of my **** arms). Project XLZ 6.5. Shot immediately neutralizes (and miraculously I can fade the ball again). Ball speed up to 131. smash 1.4 Spin up slightly and dispersion improved massively totaling 196 avg carry.- all with a shorter club with weaker lofts. Now honestly I was more excited about the shot shape and dispersion than anything - but hey I'll take 10 yards.

I never wanted to pay money to get fit for clubs. After seeing the difference and knowing I'm in the right setup - I've already scheduled my long game fitting and I'm not remotely concerned about the cost. Get fit it's worth it

Posted:

Driver: PING g410 plus 9* with even flow black 75x

Fairway: PING g410 16.5* Tensei orange 70x

Hybrid: PING g410 19* Tensei blue 85x

2iron: Titleist TMB Project xi 6.5

4iron: PING i500 (retro spec) Project x lz 6.5

5-PW : PING blueprint Project X lz 6.5

Wedges: PING glide forged 50/54/58 Project x lz 6.0

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab

Ball: Bridgestone XS

Comments

• bking556bking556 Members  217WRX Points: 131Handicap: InfinitePosts: 217 Fairways

I'm glad to hear you had such good results. I'm hoping to get fit into a set in the not too distant future. Probably would do the whole bag.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers  3771WRX Points: 982Handicap: 8Posts: 3,771 Titanium Tees

Good to hear you were happy, BUT...

...your spin rates seem really low. Typically you'll get 6k of spin with a 6-iron at even moderate speeds. You should be somewhere between 6k - 6.5k.

Did that get resolved because what you listed initially is like 20% under expectation.

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-rate/

Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: M6 3w
    Hybrid: Tour Edge E8 (19, 22)
    Irons: 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • dmbrill719dmbrill719 North CarolinaMembers  288WRX Points: 64Posts: 288 Greens

Just curious...what is your wrist to floor measurement (was that taken during the fitting)?

Posted:
    G400 Max Xtorsion Black 70
    Exotics T3 16.5* ATX Green 85
    Apex 3h Project X HC1
    T-MB 4, 5 RIP 115
    JPX 900 Tour 6-PW Recoil 125
    MD Forged 50, 56 DG X100
    RM-22 60 DG TI Black Onyx X100
    Vault Anser 2
  • andrueandrue Members  1494WRX Points: 262Handicap: 21Posts: 1,494 Platinum Tees

I'm going for a fitting in a couple of weeks. I'm dropping my 64* and looking to add something that's longer than my 3h. I'm also having them take a look at my driver. I'm thinking the new club will be a wood (5 or 3) but historically I've not been very good at launching them. Recent swing changes may have changed that.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • Stinger83Stinger83 Members, Paid BST  129WRX Points: 77Handicap: 2Posts: 129 Fairways

I've never been a high spin player, even when I swung the club faster. Put me in a lighter shaft and I seem to hood the face more and produce a larger draw shape (which lowers the spin). Put me in a heavier stiffer shaft and I seem to neutralize the flight and increase the spin. I was testing with prov1x and I'm planning on moving to ProV1 or Bridgestone rxs to get more spin. Should be just under 6,000. this was discussed at length during the fitting.

Posted:

• Stinger83Stinger83 Members, Paid BST  129WRX Points: 77Handicap: 2Posts: 129 Fairways

I forgot what the measurement was. But my sleeve length is 37 inches - it's very hard for me to find dress shirts so I do have longer arms for my height. And in testing the half inch shorter shaft proudced much better strikes and that was all the proof I needed.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Power fadePower fade Members  78WRX Points: 81Handicap: 12.5Posts: 78 Fairways

A proper fitting makes such a big difference, especially for those of us on the taller side. Just played whatever clubs I could get my hand on until about five years ago. It's drastically changed my golf game.

Posted:
  • sweebssweebs Members  6WRX Points: 6Posts: 6 Bunkers

I've been pondering with myself to just suck it up and go get fitted for clubs. The more and more people I talk to the more it makes it sound that its worth every penny. Well, thats just it....I cant see myself spending all that money when I usually stick to buying "new to me" clubs.

Posted:

gotta want to improve more than you want to buy stuff. That being said......after a fitting you usually end up buying stuff anyway

Posted:

• LokiLoki Members  1267WRX Points: 203Posts: 1,267 Platinum Tees

With the proper tool, the job of improvement comes "easier" and "faster."

Posted:
  • mjbfybmjbfyb Members  426WRX Points: 251Posts: 426 Greens

Pro V1x is supposed to have more spin than Pro V1. It used to be the other way around, but they switched spots a few models ago.

Posted:

Advertisement

Bridgestone was the recommendation to increase spin. I'm not worried about it. I know numbers change on the course compared to mats.

Posted:

• naws-golfernaws-golfer Members  1662WRX Points: 128Handicap: 3.5Posts: 1,662 Platinum Tees

That’s a nice starting point, but not gospel.

if your descent angle and peak height is good and spin is close to that then you’re good.

my last fitting put me in a lower spin set up than the 1000 rpm/ iron number (8k for 8i, 7k for 7i) but the descent angle was good and the lower spin gave me less dispersion and a lower flight. Distance and control went up vs my previous set up. If some more spin is need you can always have them bent 1* weak.

Posted:

The numbers aren't perfect but I'm also just starting to play again this season and I'm confident my SS will increase as well as contact, delivery and spin. But they were still a big improvement in dispersion and distance compared to what I had. My concern now is gapping into my hybrid. I just picked up nearly a club of distance

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.