Palm Springs recommendations

cod4101 ·  
cod4101cod4101 Members  327WRX Points: 61Posts: 327 Greens

Heading down to Palm Springs area end of April. Looking to play 4 rounds. Going to play PGA West Stadium for one of those rounds.

first time staying in the area so looking to play the cream of the crop.

let me know your suggestions.

Thanks.

Posted:

Comments

• URStillAwayURStillAway 79 is ten better than 80 Members  973WRX Points: 121Posts: 973 Golden Tee

Public courses only:

Classic Club

Desert Willow -either Course. Firecliff a bit more scenic

Indian Wells Golf Resort- either Course. Players course is more demanding

Shadow Ridge

SilverRock

PGA West Nicklaus Tournament - kind of similar to Stadium

Eagle Falls

Escena

Indian Canyons South

Terra Lago North

Rams Hill is very highly rated but not really in the Palm Springs area

Posted:
    Post edited by URStillAway on
    Driver: Callaway BB Fusion 10.5 Reg
    FW's: BB Fusion 5w
    Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
    Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
    Handicap 9
    Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members  4565WRX Points: 917Posts: 4,565 Titanium Tees

I haven't played a lot of courses in Palm Springs but here are my 4 favorites in order.

1. Missions Hills CC Dinah Shore Tournament Course - I put it in the must play category. Have played it twice a few weeks before the ANA Inspiration and have never putted on purer greens before or since.
    2. Eagle Falls - One of the most fun courses I have played even though you might not think so when you pull up to the double wide trailer that is the golf shop.
    3. Desert Willow Firecliff - Kind of reminded me of Arizona type courses.
    4. PGA West Norman Course - Enjoyable enough but not enough to want to play it again.

Posted:
  • davep043davep043 Members  4880WRX Points: 2,105Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,880 Titanium Tees

I'll pile on, here are my favorites

Classic Club

Desert Willow - Both are good, Firecliff is a tougher challenge

Eagle Falls

Silverrock - with the caveat, renovations made several holes better, in my opinion, but created two that are not so good, maybe even bad.

And if you feel like driving for 90 minutes or so into the middle of nowhere, Rams Hill is great.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• cod4101cod4101 Members  327WRX Points: 61Posts: 327 Greens

Rams Hill in Borrego Springs?

Posted:
  • URStillAwayURStillAway 79 is ten better than 80 Members  973WRX Points: 121Posts: 973 Golden Tee
    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway BB Fusion 10.5 Reg
    FW's: BB Fusion 5w
    Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
    Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
    Handicap 9
    Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  20893WRX Points: 4,860Posts: 20,893 ClubWRX

Classic Club - love it. Played it every time we visited.

Desert Willow - Firecliff (the other one was good, but something about the last few holes I didn't like as much at the time).

Eagle Falls - I was exhausted, hit the ball all over the place and my daughter chided me for being a little grumpy early on, but the course was fun and would play again.

Where my folks used to rent in Palm Desert at Del Webb had two courses - Mountain Vista and San Gorgornio I think without looking it up - well maintained, probably not on must play lists, but that's where we played most of the time when we visited for obvious reasons and it was winter, we were outside in California and they were just fine by me!

Mission Hills - the course the Dinah Shore was on looked incredible, we played the Gary Player layout and I wasn't really a big fan of the course at all, but played well. But that was the first time we got my dad to move up a tee box, of course my daughter got him to do it claiming she felt the other box was too long and they would play together (lol, she was driving the ball 240 by that year which was her junior year of high school) and he had the best 18 hole round he'd had in all the years he'd visited California that day (almost broke 80). Surprise, he and his buddies started "playing up" most of the time after that.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cod4101cod4101 Members  327WRX Points: 61Posts: 327 Greens

I am staying in Indio so looks like Rams Hill would be an hour and 10 minutes out.

looking like PGA West, Rams Hills, Mission Hills Dinah.

still got to decide on my last option.

Posted:
  • Elliebarley1978Elliebarley1978 Members  504WRX Points: 57Posts: 504 Golden Tee

I'm planning to head down in late April as well and wondering on the current conditions of these courses we have chosen:

indian wells players \celebrity

desert willow firecliff

classic club

stadium pga west

thanks in advance.

Posted:
  • lchanglchang Members  744WRX Points: 186Handicap: 11Posts: 744 Golden Tee

We loved shadow ridge.

classic club, too, like many others, but: we did think there was water similarly situated on too many holes. Anyone else think that?

Posted:
  • wilymowilymo GAMembers  324WRX Points: 51Posts: 324 Greens

Just got back from a guys trip. Played the following courses: Indian Wells (both courses), Eagle Falls, Desert Willow(both courses), the Classic Club, La Quinta CC, and Rancho Las Palmas. Surprisingly, I think for the money, Eagle Falls was my favorite. I think La Quinta and Rancho are private. La Quinta was a an old school country club layout but in unbelievable shape.

Desert Willow Firecliff was probably my second favorite. The Indian Wells courses were nice but nothing really blew me away about them. I think the Classic Club has the best layout and was the most challenging but it was in by far the worst shape. Dormant Bermuda rough, several greens had damage and many areas around the greens were being re-sodded. Great clubhouse though.

Posted:
  • BBKB1217BBKB1217 Members  28WRX Points: 49Posts: 28 Bunkers

yes, definitely seems repetitive by the middle of the back 9. 18 is a great finish though.

golf week public rankings for all of CA showing only area courses:

4. Rams Hill, Borrego Springs (m)

8. PGA West (Stadium), La Quinta (m)

23. Desert Willow (Firecliff), Palm Desert (m)

24. Indian Wells Golf Resort (Celebrity), Indian Wells (m)

25. PGA West (Nicklaus), La Quinta (m)*

26. Classic Club, Palm Springs (m)

28. Indian Wells Golf Resort (Players), Indian Wells (m)

I agree with the order and the fact there is a drop off after Stadium and then a bunch very good courses that are all about the same. Id thrown in Shadow Ridge with these and Silver Rock too (the fence, more than the rerouting killed it for me though). I havent played Eagle Falls. Also La Quinta Mountain has a few great holes.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dasamsdasams Members  339WRX Points: 102Posts: 339 Greens

As noted above, the Classic Club has a great layout but there's a lot of slope and dormant Bermuda surrounding the lakes. Hit it anywhere near and you are wet. The other issue is wind as it's totally exposed. If the forecast is for wind, cancel your tee time and pick another course.

Posted:
  • PepsiDuckPepsiDuck Members  1990WRX Points: 209Posts: 1,990 Platinum Tees

I'll echo these comments. This was my "home course" when I lived in the area, and when the wind picks up (mostly in the afternoons), it's borderline not fun...it's definitely a must-play while you're in the area.

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
    TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
    Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
    Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
    Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
    Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
    PXG Darkness Operator
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  20893WRX Points: 4,860Posts: 20,893 ClubWRX

No doubt Classic Club would be tough in a pretty good wind, but some of the older residents out there think 10-15 is gale force, lol.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.