2020 Bridgestone Tour B dimples

Shadrach ·  
ShadrachShadrach Members  188WRX Points: 87Posts: 188 Fairways

Recently I brought home a dozen 2020 RXS balls. After examining them, I thought I detected that the inner dimple was much less recessed and prominent than in some prior versions. But both my eyes and the rest of me are old, so I just took a "wait and read and see" attitude.

I've just skimmed through the 8 pages of the concurrent "B 2020 Lineup" thread, and just two posters — names withheld to protect the innocent — mentioned this. I guess this surprises me. The "dimple in dimple" has been a Bridgestone marketing point for years, has it not? I assume — we all know about "assume" — that this change was not made without some perceived physical performance benefit, perhaps related to the new REACTIV cover.

Any thoughts thereto?

I am guessing that slightly smaller holes in the balls' outer surface allows *marginally* more urethane to grab a wedge's grooves, and thus might improve "grab" marginally.

Posted:

Comments

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers  3205WRX Points: 564Handicap: 8.3Posts: 3,205 Titanium Tees

I doubt the dimple in dimple helps spin. If the new balls have shallower dimples in dimple it most likely is to aid ball flight trajectory and stability in wind.

Posted:

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Callaway Chrome Soft 

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TKSTKS Members  275WRX Points: 158Handicap: 7Posts: 275 Greens

I noticed this in the previous version of the RXS - now all of the new 2020 B balls seem to have less of a dimple in the dimple. It is still there, but ever so subtly different. The 2020 XS is a wonderful ball, I'll be grabbing some BX and Yellow RXS versions this weekend to play and obsess about as well. Great time to be a ball junkie. Dare I say these might be even as good as the Wilson FG Tour.

Posted:
    All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S (A)
    519 SHPR 11* Red Shaft -S (in beta)
    919F/D, Red Shaft
    929 Fwy 5 , Red Shaft
    575MMC 7-GW Wishon Smooth Steel - S (A)
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's (B)
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Single Bend Shaft
    Mid-firm urethane balls - too many to list

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.