2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Summer golf trips vs Covid 19

Just thinking about my planned trip to Scotland this summer and the current scare of Covid 19 (corona virus). Not sure if we should go ahead with our plans or postpone them to another time? More concerned with the hype surrounding this virus and what is happening with country, airport, etc. potential shutdowns. Don't remember this being the case with other viruses in the past. Any thoughts?

I like the way you think.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I'm really worried about it.

I live in north Italy, in my town there are 80 Corona Virus - positive, but I guess there are a lot more.

Italy is almost frozen for the activities, there is the real risk of an economic recession.

I'm not scared by the disease itself, but I can see that a lot of countries are denying the access to Italian People.

On the European Tour Francesco La Porta couldn't enter Qatar for playing next week tournament.

I have a trip planned to Scotland for the end of april, already paid flights, house and fees for turnberry.

I guess I have to wait to see what happens but I'll just wait before booking the other courses, as they don't seem to be very refund-friendly...

Booked a quick family trip to Amsterdam a few weeks ago for late April. Not a golf trip at all, but I am going to sneak in a round at Kennemer outside of Amsterdam while there. Not sure what we're going to end up doing, I guess just play it by ear for now. If the trip was this week I'd say we'd be going as the Netherlands has only seen a couple of cases, but we'll have to see what it looks like in a month or so. Hoping it's started to fizzle by then.

It's anybody's guess at this point, however history tells us that it could be finished as of early summer. The virus seems to be following a slightly similar timeline as SARS did in 2002-2003, with the initial cases happening late in the year and the epidemic reaching the worldwide spotlight by February. COVID-19 and SARS are virologically comparable because they come from the same Coronaviridae family. Fortunately, COVID-19 does not have as high a mortality rate as SARS, but unfortunately it appears to be spreading to more people than SARS did. If COVID-19 continues to follow the same timeline as SARS, expect new cases to start dissipating by May. Toronto was one of the worst hit areas by SARS, with respect to the economic impact it took on tourism, and it was cleared as an infected area by June of that year.

My Scotland trip is 7 weeks away and I don’t plan to change or cancel. Some coworkers have canceled trips abroad but at this point, there’s really nothing virus related in Scotland. My company has installed a quarantine for anyone who has been to most of Asia, Italy, Iran. So I suppose if the UK has an outbreak I might be screwed but my boss says they aren’t asking anyone to cancel plans, even to quarantine countries. Just need to work from home for two weeks.

my biggest fear is that a nasty outbreak might cause the US to close travel. I told my wife if that happens either I’ll send for her and my son and we can ride it out together in St Andrews, or she’ll see me when I can come home. If I had to choose a place on the planet to be stranded, I think SA would be it!

Here is the problem: a lot of countries are refusing people from Italy or they need to stay in quarantine for 14 days before entering the country ( impossible!).

I think that here in Italy there are a lot of cases because we made a lot of tests: almost half the people infected has no symptoms at all. As soon as other countries in Europe will make as much tests as Italy, the'll see that the disesase is spread all over europe (and of course it will in the US).

Here in italy are blocking everything, even soccer games (!!), so I'm really afraid that travelling in Europe in april will be very difficult. expecially in Countries like Scotland where, now, there aren't conclamated cases of Covid 19.

Let's see what happens.

At the time of posting there are 85 confirmed cases in the UK with 3 in Scotland - one each in Ayrshire, Grampian and Tayside. Can't see it becoming any more dangerous here than in the US.

I'd sooner be out on the golf course than in any confined space other than my home but as of Monday I've decided that meantime I'll no longer shake hands at the end of a round. (Have you noticed how enthusiastically noses run when your playing in the wind and how casually fellow golfers rub at them with with or without a tissue?)

I am currently in Kauai as we speak. The plane ride over from LA was empty. Resort I’m at is lightest crowd I have seen in the 15 years I have been coming. I expect my trip to Ireland in August to be effected by the hysteria as well. No plans to cancel. Going to play golf even if we are only ones there!

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

I am currently in the States, and am scheduled to travel to Southwest Ireland on April 17 for a golf vacation. I continue to have a "wait-and-see" attitude, but keep hearing people say that it's going to get worse before it gets better. I plan to email my trip provider 30 days out regarding our trip status, but am hoping we'll be able to make the trip in light of the current situation.

Mike

MPM1960

Ft. Mitchell, KY USA

Callaway Paradym X Driver, 10.5 Degrees (one inch shorter than standard)
Callaway Paradym X 3 Wood (+2 degrees)

Callaway Paradym 7 Wood

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha Hybrids, 5H, 6H and 7H

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha Irons, 8-PW, AW, GW and SW

Cleveland Smart Sole Full-Face LW
Odyssey Eleven Putter, 34 inches length

Headed to northern California later in the summer if they haven't put a bubble over it by the time we leave. It's just one more of all sorts of viruses I could unluckily get from someone else --- big deal. Noticed in my neck of the woods the usual talk of flu cases, hotspots has taken a huge backseat. That's a lot more serious threat in terms of catching it around here at this point in terms of a staggering difference in raw numbers and still flu season but forget about it.

My wife only buys my 2% milk one half gallon at a time --- I have no plans to stock up, lol, a 3-4 day supply is plenty.

I'll explain you why not.

I HOPE that this nightmare will finish soon, but if all the people of the WORLD won't take measures (AKA: quarantine) it will be a mess.

I live in Italy, which is, as you might know, a "red zone".

In Lombardia (Milan region) there are so many cases that our hospitals (and we have FREE CARE!) don't know where to put people that need intensive care.

They have no more places and we have "only" 10.000 infected ( a normal flu is taken by 6 MILLIONS people in Italy).

Doctors will have (and actually seems they already are) to chose who can "survive" and cure the younger or the healthier.

Our granfathers or fathers will have to die because there are only 4.000 intensive care places (they are creating more, but they won't be enough) and 10% could need intensive care.

They could choose if they have to cure you or your son.

If you have an heart attack, they could not cure you.

The only solution is to stay home. Litterally.

We are home since sunday (we can go out to reach our job, for health reasons or for food shopping).

Maybe will close also all jobs except for food market and pharmacies.

If you all undervalue the threat, it will be a totale disaster.

Just stay home until the Covid 19 is gone.

(but I guess you'll be forced to stay home anyway by May. Let's see.)

• Like 1

Certainly grim news everywhere and in light of the President's speech last night, going to/ from Europe from the US now isn't even possible. Not sure what will happen as summer comes around but hopefully things will improve quickly but unfortunately the experts all predict it will get worse. For now we'll wait and see about future planned trips and hope for the best.

The quarantine is the best bet for now, the fact is the virus is here, and the best way to prevent hospital overloading, which is also when the most deaths occur, is the limit the spread as much as possible. Looks like the US is a couple weeks behind Europe in how the cases spike so I'm sure we'll see a jump here.

As for trips, again looking at data for a few good sources it seems China is tapering off, and looks like the large gathering bans (looking at their basketball league) will be about 9-10 weeks long. Perhaps a little less if we limit expose now before the Euro spike makes it here IDK

• Like 1

scary to hear what’s happening in Italy. Thinking of you, Mignuz.

I checked in yesterday with St Andrews, Carnoustie and North Berwick and my B&Bs. Everyone sticking to normal policies because they say Scotland hasn’t restricted anything. They are, however making exceptions for those in countries with travel restrictions like Italy.

gonna give it a few more days. At this point I will assess at the 30 day mark which is when I get refunds on B&Bs and NB. To be honest I’ll probably cancel them and figure that I can find both tee times and lodging when I pull the trigger. I think the big decision will be March 30 because that’s 2 weeks out and I can change my flights for no fee. That also gives me 2-3 weeks to see if this gets significantly worse. And leaves me 2-3 weeks to secure lodging.

All very worrying. Our flight to Ireland in May was Singapore through Munich and has now been cancelled. Looks like our plans might have to change, big time.

Meanwhile the big issue here in Aus is that toilet paper is selling out as soon as it hits the shelves. Must be a lot of people with attics full of bog rolls.

Oh well, I guess the dream is dead. US just added UK and Ireland to the travel restrictions. Wife has been very supportive but said since I’d have to quarantine for 2 weeks upon my return she would be locking me in a single room and passing food under the door. I told her that’s not what what they mean but I don’t think I’m winning that argument.

I can’t imagine the restrictions will end in April. Saw tonight that France is on an Italy-style shutdown, it’s only getting worse, not better.

I’ll hang in for a few more weeks but mentally I’m thinking it’s done And if it clears it will be a total bonus. Courses said they’re not issuing refunds unless there’s a government mandated restriction. Waiting to see what today’s news means. SA said they’re working on a 3 week window, If there are restrictions at the 3 week point they’re providing refunds.

I’m trying to figure out what United will do. My flight was $1000. At the moment I can reschedule it for a year but forfeit any difference in fare. but if I’m not going to Scotland, I could fly the whole family to Florida for that $1000 and even if I switch to Bandon I’d be annoyed spending $1000 on a $400 flight.

Got ya. Right now we still plan on making my trip as long as Delta keeps the flight. The travel ban does not prevent airliners from making the flights it’s just many are canceling because passengers are rescheduling which makes the flight uneconomical after it’s half empty. The ban allows American citizens back, as long as they fly through certain airports which ours does (JFK). So as long as the courses are open and the plane is going we plan to go. If the courses close or the flight cancels we are obviously SOL. Did any of the courses say you could move your tee time to later in the year? TOC probably wouldn’t but seems like the others might allow.