***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

That one guy you HATE playing with...

Comments

• 2bGood2bGood Members  5636WRX Points: 866Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,636 Titanium Tees

Yes 😀

There is reason for everything. Typically inside 50yards I will not get a number, but if I'm around 50 I will get number as practice 50 yard shots allot, but my eyesight is not great so I need to verify my yardage.

I play off a 3, and don't hold anybody up though.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5636WRX Points: 866Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,636 Titanium Tees

Me. I practice 10 yards - 100 yards more than anything else. keep in mind a 60 yard shot is 20% longer than a 50 yard shot.

Posted:
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members  3609WRX Points: 462Posts: 3,609 Titanium Tees

Got a bad draw next week. One is a wild hitter who has the habit of looking away and cursing instead of watching where his errant shots go then expects his partners to walk straight to his ball and find a great lie. The second is a complete and utter snob. 18 holes of being talked down to and hearing how brilliant his children are. On a positive it is stableford so will be quicker and the clubhouse is open again for an after round beer.

Posted:
  • SeidinhoSeidinho Members  92WRX Points: 36Handicap: 10Posts: 92 Fairways

The guy who is significantly better than you, then plays a couple of holes poorly and make it seem like it's your fault because he's 'playing down to your level'. Had this a couple of times, with one person even questioning my equipment (we played the same clubs). Doesn't get much worse than that.

Posted:
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members  982WRX Points: 317Handicap: 9Posts: 982 Golden Tee

Had a situation this weekend. Got paired with (a) two guys that don’t like each other, and (b) the guy who is immediately annoyed with the group’s pace of play and makes it a point to try to hurry everyone up the whole time.

The second part literally started after our tee balls on number 2. The guy starts grumbling about how slow we are all playing and starts grumbling at everyone immediately. Keep in mind that we were a 5some and one of the players was a legit 35 handicap, and we finished in 4:30. I let it affect me for the first handful of holes...started hurrying myself over shots to poor results. Finally I told Mr Grumbly that I wasn’t rushing my shots anymore on his behalf...I was playing fast enough and we could just split up if we needed. It went a little better from that point on, but even after the round when we were settling up bets etc it’s all he could talk about.

I know people hate slow play. I do too. But I’m also not playing a game where everyone is picking up 5 footers for sake of play and hitting at the same time and standing over anyone who takes a few seconds to figure out their shot. It isn’t the least bit enjoyable.

Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Mikey5eMikey5e ohioUnregistered  1441WRX Points: 374Handicap: 15Posts: 1,441 Platinum Tees

Wait a minute, you got paired with three other people you don't know and we're betting with them? Seems to me you got along quite well to make some bets. A 35 handicap, he shouldn't be let on the course. And 5 somes shouldn't be allowed on any respectful courses as well. Somehow it's hard to feel sorry for you!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  536WRX Points: 320Handicap: 19Posts: 536 Golden Tee

A 35HC should not be allowed on a course? How do expect new people to get into the game. Anyways most golfers don;t keep a HC and shoot over 100

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 20.5| Fujikura Atmos Blue 8X
    Callaway Apex 19 5-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Clevelans RTX4 48
    / 54* / 60* |
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• nk_716nk_716 Members  6WRX Points: 12Posts: 6 Bunkers

Playing competitively in high school I always dreaded the 'Nice shot!' guy after EVERY shot you took. Could duck hook it into 30 foot tall fescue and seconds later you'd hear the 'Nice shot! I think you'll be safe. Or at least have a playable shot.' Drove me nuts.

Posted:
  • chippa13chippa13 Members  2697WRX Points: 451Posts: 2,697 Titanium Tees

A 15 saying a 35 shouldn't be let on the course? I thought you had to be good at this game before you could be a real snob about it. I stand corrected.

Posted:
  • 86020818602081 Members  2144WRX Points: 252Handicap: 10Posts: 2,144 Platinum Tees

We have guys that would linger around the Teebox, because they don't want to be first..

We try to play ready-golf, but I've noticed that older guys act busy or very slow to get ready for the shot at the teebox.

90% of the time, I'm the first to teeoff, because nobody is ready. I'm the only one walking the course..

Posted:
  • EDT501EDT501 Members  33WRX Points: 81Posts: 33 Bunkers

I really can’t stand people who can’t keep their temper in control. I’m fine with a curse here or there after a bad shot or some lingering visible disappointment after a missed birdie change or rough three putt, but the people who throw clubs, shout loudly, get red in the face, or generally spend the whole round irritated because of one think or another really bother me. Played with a guy a few weeks ago who would get very upset after minor, very playable mishits (think slight fade but still in fairway instead of preferred draw or hitting the wrong part of the green after going for a par 5 in 2) and I considered faking in injury on the 9th green just to get out of spending two more hours with the guy.

Close second would be people who get very drunk on the course or spend the whole round complaining about their spouse (I see a lot of overlap in those two categories).

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Mikey5eMikey5e ohioUnregistered  1441WRX Points: 374Handicap: 15Posts: 1,441 Platinum Tees

Geez, It was all said tongue in cheek. Take a pill. Besides I'm down to 14 hc now. 😊

Posted:
  • chippa13chippa13 Members  2697WRX Points: 451Posts: 2,697 Titanium Tees

You couldn't toss that smiley face on from the get go. Now I look like the jerk...........🤨

Posted:
  • rapeckrapeck Members  82WRX Points: 40Handicap: 14Posts: 82 Fairways

Agreed. Sucks but life is too short to play upset

Posted:
  • tkwilliamson22tkwilliamson22 Cave Creek, AZMembers  59WRX Points: 56Handicap: 5Posts: 59 Bunkers

The guy who never watches his ball and always asks you where it is. You say 30 yds right in the other fairway and he's like "no way" that wasn't going that far.

Well if you saw it then don't ask. Drives me crazy

Posted:
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members  982WRX Points: 317Handicap: 9Posts: 982 Golden Tee

Our club has a Sunday AM group, about 20 people play most Sundays. I’m relatively new so don’t know everyone. Knew one of the 4 other guys. The shop makes the pairings. The 36 handicap was a guest. Super nice guy and apologetic the whole time about how he was playing. We reassured him the whole time that we’ve all been there. Well, all except Mr Grumpy. He wasn’t happy that a 36 cap was with us for two reasons. The betting is some sort of “game” set up by the shop and involves basically everybody against everybody in almost every way you can imagine.

None of that is the point, though. I’ve been doing this Sunday AM group on and off for a while now and have had a pleasant experience with basically everyone I’ve been paired with...until this Sunday. Our club has this somewhat unnatural pride in its pace of play. Guys brag all the time about walking 6somes playing in 3.5 hours. So this mixed walking/riding 5some taking 4.5 hours apparently ticked Mr Grumpy and the guy that didn’t like him off. And that is actually fine, too, as long as they keep it to themselves and/or politely ask folks to speed up. Mr Grumpy started complaining on the second set of tee shots!!! They left me on a par 3 at one point while my caddie and I looked for a ball that was just off the edge and should have been very findable. I didn’t look very long at all for it while the rest of the group just left. I had to not even attempt to take a drop and a recovery shot...just had to take a 5 because they were teeing off on the next hole. And I was rarely the hold-up...just a couple of times when I had to look for a shot or whatever. In fact, Mr Grumpy would always wait until everyone else hit before he’d even approach the tee box. The one complaining the most was constantly late to the tee box. Granted, he was quick once he approached his ball and was a 2 cap so was rarely out of position, but still. And the 36 cap was traversing the fairways and greens all day, and he finally started picking up some on the back 9. But the combo of him doing that and me and another guy walking and sharing a caddie was just too much for him apparently. We weren’t lightning quick by any means, but the folded arms and toe tapping and muttering where I could hear it whilst everyone was hitting got old real quick.

Oh, and on our 18th hole it has a shortcut inside the dog leg but you have to clear a little water hazard. There’s a rock in the middle of it. I can clear it even in a headwind, and for once hit my ball on the exact line I aimed it (right for the center of the pond). Mr Grumpy goes “hit the rock and bounce out”. I said “No, it’s good...it will clear”. It cleared. He said “Nice, you caught the rock and bounced out!” I said “It didn’t hit the rock. If it had hit the rock I would be even happier because it would be 30 yards further up the fairway”. He zips off in his cart and mutters “good thing it hit the rock” passive aggressively where he could act like he didn’t know I could hear him. I saw the **** thing bounce, and let’s just say I’m sure he did too. He was just that kind of guy.

Posted:
    Bettinardi BB1

Advertisement
    Posted:

I golf with my nephew who is a really nice guy and it's fun to have that family company out on the course. I would imagine he's at least a 36 handicap, but one of the group's I play in is just happy-go-lucky and enjoy the day together. As long as they are decent people and play add a ready golf base everything is good.

Posted:
    Posted:
  • MelcheeleyMelcheeley Members  243WRX Points: 49Posts: 243 Fairways
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Roseburg, ORMembers  1619WRX Points: 389Handicap: 2-3Posts: 1,619 Platinum Tees

Haha. Now that I'm older, I play with guys who legitimately can't see. So I give them a break. 😉

Posted:

Advertisement

No troll. My club regularly sends out bigger groups (I’ve seen groups bigger than 6 before too). There are only 250 members so the course is rarely busy, and pace of play is really good overall. And playing through is easy / encouraged. But the pace of play police bother me sometimes.

Posted:
    Bettinardi BB1
  • tkwilliamson22tkwilliamson22 Cave Creek, AZMembers  59WRX Points: 56Handicap: 5Posts: 59 Bunkers

Older guys I have no problem with, but when he's mid 20's no bueno

Posted:
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  701WRX Points: 414Posts: 701 Golden Tee

I think I'm very lucky in that I rarely ever have an issue with a playing partner. In fact, I cannot even remember such an issue in the past 20 years. I suspect that this may be due to the fact that the vast majority of my rounds are paired with complete strangers (either I play as a single, or with one other friend/family member, rarely in a foursome where we all know each other), so there may be a tendency for folks to be on better behavior around me as a stranger to them.

I get paired with the entire spectrum of golfers to be found on public courses.

The last time I can remember having an issue was with a friend that I played with my first few years playing. He was quite serious about his game as he was looking to becoming a teaching pro. He could get pretty upset with himself if things weren't going well. My buddies and I had to have a "consultation" with him and it resolved itself immediately. I somehow doubt my friend would've behaved the way he did if he was in a group of strangers. He somehow felt more comfortable with us as friends, and his inner jackass came out a bit.

What do folks in private clubs experience? Does having a more familiar group of players around you on the course bring out more or less bad behavior? Honest question, as I've only played at a private course a couple of times.

Posted:
  • rapeckrapeck Members  82WRX Points: 40Handicap: 14Posts: 82 Fairways

There is one guy i play with on golf weekends that time after time shoots mid 80s on our trips but then goes back to his home course and shoots close to even par, but his pro has told him not to upload those scores because he was playing under "tournament conditions" and you dont upload those scores to your hcp. I think his pro is full of ****... what are your thoughts?

Posted:
  • LokiLoki Members  1308WRX Points: 245Posts: 1,308 Platinum Tees

I know people that ONLY enter tournament scores.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  701WRX Points: 414Posts: 701 Golden Tee

Wasn't that the norm in a lot of non-US countries before the world handicap system went live?

Posted:
  • fastswingerfastswinger Members  24WRX Points: 53Posts: 24 Bunkers

You said it. Social or not social - I can't stand the clueless individuals; walking in lines, never know where there ball is, not fixing any divots/ball marks, making noise in your backswing, etc.

Posted:
  • anythingfiniteanythingfinite Members  383WRX Points: 223Posts: 383 Greens

A 4 HDCP who thinks he can beat an LPGA pro.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1451WRX Points: 304Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,451 Platinum Tees

I hadn’t thought too much about this, but many go through this stage. In my 20s, we were stuck at work for 15-16 hours per day, and most of us were too busy to be depressed? That might be one solution? Later in life, quite a few confessed that without the business life they could easily have fallen into depression.

You are definitely not alone. Your story may even help others in their mid-20s.

Thank you for sharing.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.