***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

That one guy you HATE playing with...

1789101113»

Comments

• JedaigekiJedaigeki Members  357WRX Points: 91Posts: 357 Greens

Still is the norm in the UK. New world handicap system is not live here yet. Only tournament cards or pre-declared rounds (for those above 5 handicap) can count towards handicaps.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • LukeDonaldsTigerLukeDonaldsTiger Members  538WRX Points: 254Handicap: 19Posts: 538 Golden Tee

Same here in Switzerland, Germany, Austria, without the 5 hcp thing

Posted:

WITB 2020:

Driver: Mizuno JPX 900 @10.5° (Tensei White 70g stiff) - 240m/260y

3W: Mizuno JPX 900 @15° (Motore Speeder VC 6.3 stiff) - 215m/235y

alt.: 2i: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi @16.5° (DG S300 Sensicore) - 210m/230y

3H: Srixon H45 Hybrid @19° (Kuro Kage 70g stiff) - 195m/215y

3i: Mizuno MP-H5 @21° (Diamana S+ 80HY stiff) - 185m/200y

4i-6i: Mizuno MP-15 (DG S300 Sensicore) - 4i: 170m/185y

7i-PW: Mizuno MP-33 @1° strong (DG S300 Sensicore) - 7i: 140m/155y

Wedges: Mizuno T20 wedges, @56-14/60-10 (DG S400 TI)

Putter: Mizuno MP-T105

Ball: Snell MTB Black (Yellow)

• Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1451WRX Points: 304Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,451 Platinum Tees

Haha. Good one.

Oh, I certainly wouldn’t hold that against him, and would gladly take my 3+ strokes from him along with whatever winnings I can muster from him?

Posted:
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers  5881WRX Points: 1,452Posts: 5,881 Titanium Tees

If you're not playing for anything who cares what he does?

Personally, I think if you're going to "set it up" in the bunkers, you just allow it regardless of the lie. Especially if you have an entire group; unambiguous uniformity is best. It becomes too subjective if you try to pick and choose on a case-by-case which lie is worthy of relief and which should be played as is.

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~0

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3657WRX Points: 1,314Handicap: 4Posts: 3,657 Titanium Tees

He was plugged in an area unaffected by footprints or divot. Relief is only from these areas, plus, he is very vocal against playing preferred lies in the fairway. So, the relief in bunkers is a case by case basis.

Posted:
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers  5881WRX Points: 1,452Posts: 5,881 Titanium Tees

Yea, I get it and is fine within your own foursome. My point is in a larger group it becomes too subjective and applied inconsistently. Better to just play it "up" in bunkers w/ scorecard length relief

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~0

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball

Advertisement
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1901WRX Points: 313Handicap: ?Posts: 1,901 Platinum Tees

The guy that needs to get a bloody mary every time the cart angel comes by. It takes a minute or two to make if they are not proficient, then paying, then making the people behind us wait etc. etc. But, if the course is clogged up, no harm in it.

Posted:
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, CaClubWRX  3816WRX Points: 254Handicap: 4.1Posts: 3,816 ClubWRX

Two players I dislike playing with. The first is the player who takes too long to do anything. No ready golf mindset. Still fumbling with whatever and when it’s his time, he has no clue what club to hit, he is testing the wind, and takes about 2-4 practices before each shot. The sep d is your get to the course so I can get wasted player. Gets annoyingly loud to the point that other groups are staring at who the loud guy is. I’m okay with drinking as I do so myself but when it comes a point to where you just don’t have a volume control anywhere on the course including the club house, it wears thin quick.

Posted:
    Ping 400 Oban Devotion
    Callaway Epic SZ 14* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Ping Crossover 3 iron 
    Ping S55 TI AMT S400 4-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,58 115
    Odyssey Proto  
    Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness
  • DennyJonesDennyJones Members  92WRX Points: 58Handicap: n/aPosts: 92 Fairways

I agree with most about the loud, angry, club throwing fools. Today though we experience a new kind of "that guy". We had a scheduled tee time at 8:00 am. At 7:55 he still hadn't shown. We callrf and he said, "oh sorry, I got messed up (drunk) last night. Sorry". He didn't bother to text or call. I won't wait for the door to hit him on the way out. There was another guy we turned away because we thought we had 4.

Posted:
    From the land of perpetual cloudiness: Michigan
  • PersimmonEraPersimmonEra Members  66WRX Points: 51Handicap: 14Posts: 66 Bunkers

Guy 1

1. The guy that always pulls into the parking lot just when everyone in the group if suppose to tee off and expects everyone to wait on him.
    2. That guy above who is a slow player and/or wants to blast music loudly during the round.
    3. That guy above who is always in a hurry to leave after putting out on 18.

Guy 2

1. The guy who shows up at the course during the busiest time of the weekend and expects to get paired with a group immediately.
    2. The guy above who realizes he is missing some clubs from his bag (including his driver and putter).
    3. The guy above who is in poor shape physically and is going to walk.
    4. The guy above during this Covid epidemic has the nerve to ask can I borrow your putter?

Posted:
    Ping G30 10.5 degrees - Tour Shaft
    Ping G30 18.5 degrees - Tour Shaft
    Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees
    Ben Hogan TK 50 degrees
    Cleveland Rotex 2.0 56 and 60 degrees
    Ping Sigma G Anser
    TaylorMade Project A

• geesecougar2geesecougar2 Members  2088WRX Points: 153Handicap: 6Posts: 2,088 Platinum Tees

What works for me is commenting on it when it happens, but in a way that makes fun of it in a lighthearted manner. Make it seem like you're roasting him in a jovial and funny way, but that it doesn't bother you. It takes some creative thinking but is pretty effective because it's not a confrontation, but the guy won't want to get made fun of.

If that doesn't work you need to talk to your friends.

Posted:
    M1 8.5 Diamana D+ 70 X
    M2 Tour Kuro Kage 70 X
    Rescue 11 18 RIP 105 X
    Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4 X100
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
    Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
    Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow

Advertisement
  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm MassachusettsMembers  1079WRX Points: 223Handicap: 2 (index = 2.3)Posts: 1,079 Platinum Tees

I’ve played this great game for 52 years and only encountered two guys I couldn’t tolerate playing with.

The first guy took an excessive amount of time to play each shot. This includes each putt, as well. I am not exaggerating, he’d take a full minute to size up each shot before drawing a club, then once he addressed the ball, he’d fidget with his alignment. Finally, he would freeze over the ball for quite a long time before drawing the club back. Full swing shots NEVER took less than 3-minutes. Every round with him was a marathon round. When he left our club, there was a collective cheer!

The second guy was a ticking time bomb. He was a capable enough player at 4-handicap, but his temper was legendary. Profanity laced club throwing tirades were a part of every round with this turkey. He too has moved on from our club and we are all better for it.

Posted:
  • HyzerFlipDGHyzerFlipDG Members  94WRX Points: 56Posts: 94 Fairways

Posted:
    Post edited by HyzerFlipDG on
  • HyzerFlipDGHyzerFlipDG Members  94WRX Points: 56Posts: 94 Fairways

Jeez if I had to wait 3 minutes for someone to take each of their shots I would walk off after hole 2. that's absolutely painfully slow especially for someone like me who can walk a 6000 yard course in under 2.5hours by myself. Props to you for sticking around, but I just can't do that!

Posted:
  • Hogan9Hogan9 Members  88WRX Points: 57Handicap: 9.3 IndexPosts: 88 Fairways

My two pet peeves are slow players and what I call social golfers. Sometimes they are the same guy. I played on Wednesday with a guy who I know fairly well, but I haven't played with him very much. He talked constantly and was more interested in telling stories than focusing on his game. He shot 98 to my 80. I actually gave him a couple of mulligans and a few three foot putts just to keep him moving. He's a nice guy, but hopefully I can avoid playing with him in the future.

Posted:
  • rowman310rowman310 Members  4WRX Points: 31Posts: 4 Starters

The guy playing music in his cart with people he hasn't met before

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NaptimeNaptime Members  697WRX Points: 132Posts: 697 Golden Tee

Slow, hits 3 balls a hole from the same place because he keeps skulling it, if he kept real score would be 200. A relative so can't always avoid playing with him. If stuck with him in a family round I always suggest a scramble. Otherwise a great guy.

Otherwise the annoying guys are one offs I may get paired with and never see again. Loud and drunk aren't fun unless you're the loud drunk.

Posted:
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1451WRX Points: 304Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,451 Platinum Tees

Used to play with a chap who got drunk after 2, and drank 3 or 4. He was lucky enough to find his ball

Posted:
  • chippa13chippa13 Members  2697WRX Points: 451Posts: 2,697 Titanium Tees

I had a bit of an opposite situation happen this past Sunday and wound up with a "glad I didn't play with" story. So Saturday afternoon I hop online to see if I can get lumped in as a single Sunday morning. I find a spot with a threesome and booked it. I get to the tee a few minutes before our tee time and check in with the starter who waves his hand toward 3 guys lingering by the tee, a younger guy around 30 and apparently his dad and uncle. I catch the dad's eye and mention that it looks like I'm playing with them today. He gives me this look like either he didn't hear me or didn't understand what I said so I repeated myself to which he replies, "we're practicing social distancing." In my head I was like "great, we all are". Not really all that hard to do on a golf course. But then he says it again because apparently his kid's wife is pregnant. I had overheard them talking about him becoming a dad a minute earlier so in my head I'm thinking, ok, give this kid his space and then the younger guy chimes in saying that he booked a foursome and his buddy was on his way. I was just kind of dumbfounded.

The starter then asks if there is a problem and I told him that these guys just told me they've got a foursome. He looks at his sheet and it only shows a threesome plus a single (me) and he's only got slips for those people. The young guy then starts pointing at his phone saying he booked his foursome 2 weeks ago (course's site only allows 7 days advance tee times) and what is he supposed to tell his buddy who is 2 minutes out. The starter wasn't having it but at this point I wasn't going out with these guys either way. Finally, the starter comes to me and says, "You don't want to play with these guys, right" and I was like nope. It is a packed day but he promises to get me out and starts checking with the starter on the other 18 at the course. While that's going on the threesome is about to tee off and the younger guy feels like he needs to put the icing on the cake and says to me, "You don't want to be near me anyways, bro, I just got off a flight from LAX." Ummmmmm, ok.

They head off and 2 minutes later the starter has done some magic and split 2 paired twosomes so he could create a threesome with me and we wound up next on the tee. I ended up with a guy around my age and his father and we wound up having a pleasant round together. As we broke off after the 18th I mentioned to them "I think I lucked out today" and they agreed. I will say this, the guys that ditched me did send the cart girl over with a beer for me at the 3rd tee so I have to give them that. Oh, and the guy's "buddy" never showed. I'm very worried about him. 😃

Posted:
  • CircaflexCircaflex Well, I gotta go now. I’ve got a lotta bouncin’ to do! Members  778WRX Points: 112Posts: 778 Golden Tee

I have a couple:

The guy who brags he just beat you on the hole, but doesnt count the 3 foot wedges or dropped balls. I don't care what you shoot, but dont try and brag to me and the group or try and show me up when its clear you did not count some strokes. Dont play with those types much any more.

My recent has been an old time friend and I have had to tell him multiple times, do not give me any swing advice. I havent asked and you sound like an arrogant jerk giving advice to someone who has not once asked you for it. These types drive me mad because often, they arent the best player in the group, they arent shooting par or close to it and often have this huge ego for no reason. I've been tempted to have him out with another buddy of mine, to see what a real golfer acts like (ie, no excuses for crappy lies, or butterflies farting near his ears, etc), but I dont think it would be a good day for anyone. He is a friend of mine, so Ill be having one more talk with him, but like many of you have said lifes too short to not enjoy something and if after a conversation they continue to annoy you, drop them like a bad habit for golf (keep them around for everything else that friends do).

Posted:
    #Ping #TaylorMade #Bettinardi #Snell #Arccos #MitholoG #SunFishKnit #Lamkin
    GHIN: 2719293

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.