***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

That one guy you HATE playing with...

Comments

• MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members  1813WRX Points: 364Posts: 1,813 Platinum Tees

The guy that throws temper tantrums is what bothers me the most.

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees

The abusiveness and complaining is negativity that you don't need in your life.

I play with a guy that is often late, walks in lines, and can go on tilt and complain about everything on the course. From the temperature of the drinking water to slow play. Even though, he's a slowpoke. He assumes, and he's 100% correct, that anyone slower than him is way too slow. But he's usually a positive person and I enjoy playing with him. Even if others have ceased. It's always an adventure with this guy.

Posted:
  • jeff1727jeff1727 Members  238WRX Points: 75Handicap: 14Posts: 238 Fairways

The guy who never shuts the [email protected]$k up. Once a year a guy in my golf league buddy comes into town aNd plays with us. In 9 holes he manages to get in 10000 words. Drunk before we start and we get to hear the same jokes and stories as years prior. Talks while he is swing and when everyone else is swinging. He is a really nice guy and funny though.

Posted:
  • Bogeygolfer55Bogeygolfer55 Members  104WRX Points: 80Posts: 104 Fairways

Sanford's municipal is a Donald Ross design. You are also within reach of a few decent mid level courses. I like Foxfire

Posted:
  • Bogeygolfer55Bogeygolfer55 Members  104WRX Points: 80Posts: 104 Fairways

Posted:
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput Members  1674WRX Points: 419Handicap: 1.5Posts: 1,674 Platinum Tees

The super serious silent guy.

I get the "Hogan" mystique, or the "Tiger" mystique, but the "I am a 4 hdcp and I will dominate my 1st flight mystique" is ridiculous in my mind. I have never played in a tournament for which I didn't have to pay to play in. I am there to have fun and challenge myself, but that is not at the expense of being sullen and focused. And I get there are introverts, but even they smile every once in a while, I am talking about the head down scowling golfer who doesn't want to make eye contact because you might get into their head guy.

Here is an idea for THAT guy. Practice more, get better, and play in something meaningful, or don't practice and dominate the higher handicaps where they will laud your steely focus and fine execution.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1451WRX Points: 304Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,451 Platinum Tees

Congratulations, finding someone with ALL those characteristics is such a rarity.

The cheating and all is pretty common behavior for many bogeys who might possibly be simply trying to keep up with you and your buddies, but verbally abusing the staff makes you look bad. I’d be concerned about them leaving little “presents” in your food and drink. Talk to him about not verbally abusing staff because of your concerns for the “future quality of service” he’ll likely understand that?

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32920WRX Points: 3,500Posts: 32,920 Titanium Tees

People who get PO'd after just about every shot, throw clubs and what not. I had an acquaintance like that and told him I wasn't playing golf with him anymore, and I didn't. Eventually his attitude did improve, and he ended up scoring better too. Surprise, surprise.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX  15243WRX Points: 1,283Posts: 15,243 ClubWRX

Posting on here, does that mean you’re not with the boys at Bandon?

Posted:

• PetethreeputPetethreeput Members  1674WRX Points: 419Handicap: 1.5Posts: 1,674 Platinum Tees

I did not go this year. I haven’t done the trip for a couple of years for a multitude of reasons, none of which are I didnt want to go. Just scheduling or some other silly reason. The weather looks a darned sight better than when we did go.

Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  7452WRX Points: 1,520Handicap: 3.9-9.3-7.7 (Health issue)Posts: 7,452 Titanium Tees

You've been playing with this guy for almost 2 years and only now it's really bothering you ?

And you said "they" invited him, meaning your 2 buddies.

Ordinarily I'd say you have to talk to whoever invited the guy in the first place but 2 years later ? That's rough.

If it was me, I'd think my only choice was to talk to the original 2 friends and tell them you can't take this guy anymore and you're thinking of finding another place to play and see what they say.

But after playing with the guy for so long what are they going to say to the guy ? "Hey Bill, you've really GOT to stop with the foot wedge and going off on everybody and everything" ?

Early on that sounds like a good thing to tell the guy, but after 2 years ?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members  3609WRX Points: 462Posts: 3,609 Titanium Tees

An old family friend. Has a swing to chop logs with and never been below 14 hcp but thinks he should shoot in the 70s every round. He could find fault with Augusta's fairways and is always whingeing about the club's food and drink...which are excellent value and top quality. I avoid him like the plague.

Posted:
  • caeye0710caeye0710 Members  166WRX Points: 81Handicap: 2.6Posts: 166 Fairways

I live about 5 minutes from the Muni course. Play it sometimes, but not one of my favorite layouts. That's where I get a lot of my practice in.

Posted:
    TS2 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7x
    Cally Epic Flash 18* - Rombax P95 X
    Cally Apex Pro '19 - Tour Elevate 105
    Scotty SM8 50, 54, 58, 62
    Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 33"

You're right about a lot of these things. Admittedly, I could have left the "foot wedge" part out. We don't play for money, so it doesn't really bother me about whatever his real/false score is at the end of the day. The whole point of the post, however, was that yes: while it's been two years, I've come to realize that the two chances a month I get to go out and enjoy a round of golf get diminished by some of his antics.

I also wasn't detailed on the "they invited him" part. He joined our group as a single a couple years back and just never left. My buddies have admitted they would never invite him out for a beer, I guess the just like having four players.

Posted:
    TS2 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7x
    Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 33"
  • TerpFangolferTerpFangolfer Members  752WRX Points: 164Handicap: 6.2Posts: 752 Golden Tee

From the etiquette forum...the "Unsolicited advice guy"

Worst experience...my brother (ex club pro) & I (5 index)...show up for out 1in a lifetime tee-time at Royal Dornoch. My bro has been out of golf for 10+ years so not booked as a PGA member.

The starter says "you guys are in luck, you are playing with a pro today". Guy was a English pro, looked him up later...hes on YouTube. Has a home golf studio south of London.

Seemed nice enough guy and always good to be paired with a good player, right? His wife was playing also, and by 2and hole can see one thing. She will not hit until he is there "coaching" her shot. She's ok, maybe ~20 hcp. Like I said, she stands there until he gets over to her. Ok hes moving quickly back & forth...no problem.

My bro is playing well (3 bird in 1st 7 holes)...I'm so so, and then I hit a thin iron approach. Now my 40 year swing is what it is...(my backswing is Allen Doyle/Jim Thorpe territory...lol). But I still whip it down ok, and get it out 260-270. Not bad for 50+ year old.

He comes over and says...you really need to lengthen your back swing. Try this...blah blah blah. Of course I'm trying to tune him out, but smiling and pretending to listen. Gets to me for like 3 holes. Other "tips" were also forthcoming...almost let it completely ruin a nice round.

Finally get it out of my head on 10, reach greenside bunker in 2 on par 5 (downwind) and match my brother birdie. Play decent on the back...then on 18. Coincidentally the final hole of our Scottish trip, I catch my drive perfect on the screws. Downwind it rolls out to ~90 yards short of green on the 450 hole! I was 50 yards by this guy...saw him looking like he couldn't believe as I hit my wedge to 15'. Missed the bird but that was satisfying.

Posted:
    TM R1
    TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
    Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
    Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
    Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
    Ping TR 1966 Anser2
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1451WRX Points: 304Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,451 Platinum Tees

Generally speaking, having a guaranteed foursome is just to avoid “that guy” in your foursome. Ironic, that.

What are his good points?

Posted:

Advertisement

I would say his "good point" is that he always shows up happy, but is generally disgusted by his second shot on the second hole. Haha.

Posted:
    TS2 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7x
    Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 33"
  • Outpost31Outpost31 Why don't we just wait here awhile...see what happens... Members  361WRX Points: 96Posts: 361 Greens

Get a different tee time and tell your two buddies that you've had enough of this guy... It's that simple. Life is too short to deal with people like this. They can continue playing with him or tee off with you, their choice. Good luck and let us know what you decide on doing.

Posted:
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members  4867WRX Points: 559Posts: 4,867 Titanium Tees

See this is what Koepka was talking about....golf is too stuffy.....let the guy screw up everyones day and let him ruin the course.....

Posted:

Haha...unwarranted optimism.

Guessing he’s got other qualities to make rounds bearable though?

Posted:
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • burnsd427burnsd427 Members  111WRX Points: 98Posts: 111 Fairways

The guy who can't tolerate other players.

Posted:
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers  5881WRX Points: 1,452Posts: 5,881 Titanium Tees

Ok, I've read the thread and your follow-ups.

You've got a hack who thinks he's better than he is, has a bad temper, poor etiquette, and cheats to boot, and two others who you like, but won't play for spit, one of whom doesnt even bother to keep score.

Everyone is different, but I'd be "out like ya read about!"

I'd rather walk my dogs...🐕🦮

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~0

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • YouDaHamHiderYouDaHamHider Members  37WRX Points: 16Posts: 37 Bunkers

So true. Especially when it's a hole by hole account of his last round. "I literally couldn't give a ****!"

Posted:

I can't stand playing with people who are negative and down about their game all of the time. I also try to avoid playing with a guy at my club who will stand about 4 feet face on to me when I'm playing a shot. I'd like to tell him to **** off out of my view but he's a big lad with a temper so I just suck it up and spend the whole day hoping that we end up on different sides of the fairway each hole.

Posted:
  • Outpost31Outpost31 Why don't we just wait here awhile...see what happens... Members  361WRX Points: 96Posts: 361 Greens

It'd be nice to have a "toe shot" right about the time he's standing there... Hopefully that would teach him a lesson. How often do you have to play with this ****?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • pldbryanpldbryan Members  218WRX Points: 53Posts: 218 Fairways

“The guy who never shuts the [email protected]$k up. Once a year a guy in my golf league buddy comes into town aNd plays with us. In 9 holes he manages to get in 10000 words. Drunk before we start and we get to hear the same jokes and stories as years prior. Talks while he is swing and when everyone else is swinging. He is a really nice guy and funny though”

I played with this same guy today. Private club, we had a 4 some, he essentially met us on the tee and announced he was going to join us and play 5 some. We know him, he is annoying but a decent guy...blah blah blah

will not shut the f$&@ up from the first second, about his instructor, lessons, how rich his wife is, what he is working on etc.

you have to come to terms that there are people who are so self absorbed that they can not notice when 4 other dudes are sitting on a tee box irritated that he is just jumping in and immediately compromising the round for everyone.

Posted:

Too often...He has a habit of adding his name to my tee time slot if there's a space. What I've recently started to do is look for 2 balls to join so there's no other spaces left for him (max 3 balls for my club comps).

Posted:
  • jafstarjafstar Members  204WRX Points: 32Posts: 204 Fairways

Take him to golf court, or send this thread to his email accidentally

Posted:
    Bio Cell 10*
    DET 15*
    MP-H5 3i
    MP-4 4-PW
    MP-T5 51*
    MD2 55*,59*
    Mac G Milled

Advertisement
  • hoselcockshoselcocks Members  7WRX Points: 27Posts: 7 Bunkers

I can't stand the guy who takes his game way too seriously. This usually translates into excessive pre-shot routines and just all around slow play, drives me nuts. You don't have any cameras on you, you are playing at a $35 city owned course, just hit the **** ball. We have a few like this in our league and I've bit my tongue for years, maybe this year I will let loose.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.