2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEVO

I'm looking for someone who has actual hands-on experience with a MEVO launch monitor, the small one, not the MEVO+.

At the end of last season, I promised myself that when March rolled around, I was going to get one of these things in order to more accurately calibrate my club carry distances. Now, it's March and I'm having trouble pulling the trigger.

My issue is that the only place I can use it is on a range with artificial grass mats and range balls. What I'm wondering is whether these limitations effectively render MEVO measurements useless or whether it's possible to apply a correction factor that converts this artificial situation to real grass and real balls.

Anybody have any experience with this? I don't see any of these units around, and that has me wondering if perhaps they're not all that useful.

Thanks. Yes, there are a lot of testers on YouTube (and here) saying that the Mevo compares favorably with high tech launch monitors if using the same surface and same balls. My question relates to the use of different surfaces and different balls. I'm just wondering if the numbers you get off an artificial mat using range balls have any value at all.

We already know that the ball spins differently off a mat than it does off grass, and the launch characteristics of a Spalding range ball are different than a ProV. I'm imagining that the algorithm used by the device somehow incorporates a direct measure of clubhead speed, ball speed and spin, and it computes distance from those measured values. If two of them don't match real world use, then the final value wouldn't either.

I guess the thing to do is to follow FM's suggestion and get one from Amazon, test it quickly, and return it if it doesn't work out.

Follow up: Ha! I went to order one this morning, and it's no longer available from Amazon.

Numbers were all over the place. 6i swing speed was 93~96mph and driver 92~98mph. Both averages are incorrect. Spin was all over the place also and used only for reference to check which shaft was spinning more. Sold it and went back to Garmin G80. It has less data but it's convenient. Not having to change which club you're hitting is a big plus and tempo is an excellent tool if you're swinging too quick. It still sucks for woods but numbers make more sense and GPS is solid.

TM Stealth 2+ 9 Fuji Ventus Black 6X

TM Stealth + 13.5 HZRDUS Blue 70 6.5

TM SIM UDI 2i HZRDUS Black 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 MK2 4-PW Modus 120X

Vokey SM10 50.08F/56.12D/60.08M S400

SC SS Squareback 2

Excellent post Hondabuff! I have the Mevo and do each the same things you suggested. The point of owning a Mevo is that it will sharpen your shot making knowledge!

Callaway Paradym TD 9.5* - Fuji Blue TR 6s & New Blue Velocore+ 6s

2021 Callaway UW 17* & 21* - Fuji Red Ventus Velocore 7X
Callaway Apex TCB  4-pw - Steelfiber i110cw S hard stepped 1"

Callaway Jaws Forged TI red dots 52@50/56@55/60*& Jaws Raw Z grind 60*z, DG TI S400

2021 Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K DW
Ball: 2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X -tested, great feel & spin!

The MEVO arrives pretty much the way you think it will – in a small box. As expected, it’s about the size of a deck of cards, well two actually, stacked on top of one another.

The first thing you do is charge the unit by plugging it in to your computer using the short USB connector that’s provided in the box. Lights flash. In my case charging took less than two hours. When it was all over, I had three blue lights, 1 solid yellow light, and one flashing greed light.  Then you detach it from your computer and turn it off.

The second thing you do is download the MEVO app onto your cell phone. That also put it on my iPad, as well. The two apps are not connected and do not share data.

The third thing you do is go to myflightscope.com and register. That way you’ll have a user name and password that you can use to activate the app.

The fourth thing you supposedly do is pair your phone to the MEVO by using the app to scan the QR code on the device. In my case, this wasn’t necessary. The device was paired the moment I turned it on and activated the app.

The fifth and final thing you do is remember to put a measuring tape in your golf bag, because you’ve been told that setting the device exactly the right distance behind the ball is uber-important.

Finally, you go to the range and give it a whirl.

But first, a brief reminder of what I’m trying to accomplish:

·     Do distance measurements with range balls hit from artificial mats have any relevance at all?

·     Do metal dots improve the measurements?

·     Is it better to measure outdoors with range balls and no dots or indoors with real balls and metal dots?

·     Can I calibrate my intermediate short game (30-100 yards) with this device?

Testing starts tomorrow.

Pulled the trigger on one of these over the weekend -- bought it on Amazon and had it Sunday afternoon (What would I do without Prime?!?) I have until April 7th to return it and no restocking fee obviously so I figured, what the heck?

I have been going back and forth between this and the SC300. Both are available on Amazon so if I dont like the results with the Mevo I will try the other one out.

MountainGoat outlined the process of setting it up very well. Couple hours to charge it up - connecting to the app was a breeze.

Took it out to the range today for a short session. I did not bring a tape measure - just simply took too paces back from the spot I was hitting from and set the calibration to 6 feet.

My ultimate goal is to use it for wedges. Used to be a strong part of my game but it has deteriorated over the years. Setting it up was simple and it seemed to catch every shot from LW through 3wood. I was hitting range balls (not in that good of shape) off of a mat. Used a sleeve of balls to elevate the Mevo to get it to the same height (the box it came in would have put the device higher than the mat I think). Carry yardages seemed to be within a couple yards. I hit about 50 balls and there were only a couple that registered something I felt was way off. Used my rangefinder to verify carry distances.

I hit probably 10 drivers and the Mevo probably picked up 6 or 7 of them. Spin seemed to be in line with what i would expect. Swing speed did as well. Tougher to verify carry with the rangefinder since I couldnt really see them land.

Obviously more testing to be done, but I was pretty pleased with the performance for the first time out.

Once the weather breaks I am going to put the dots on my shag balls (all TP5's) and go out to my course and see if that makes any difference.

Day 1

Beautiful day, perfect for initial testing. My range has firm mats and very tight lies. Only swingers succeed here; diggers go elsewhere. Balls are all relatively contemporary Pinnacle range balls and, hence, fairly consistent. I turned the unit on and placed it exactly 6 feet behind the ball. 

The unit comes without helpful directions, so all the various icons and settings are pretty much a total mystery. I deduced that the icons across the top represent the following modes: measurement; editing; flight summary; shot list; and device settings. There is also an icon in the lower left of the screen that’s used to set the club being used.

The device setting menu needs immediate attention, because that’s where you set your distance to the ball as well as a number of other helpful things. I set the following:

·     “Outdoor” (vs. “Pitching” or “Indoor”)

·     Distance to ball = 6’0” (range runs 6 - 7 feet)

·     Altitude = 500 ft (that’s a guess; should have been 780 ft)

·     Capture mode = Data (I don’t want video)

·     Display Data = 4 four blocks (club speed, carry, smash factor, launch degrees)

·     Measurement Units = Imperial

·     Text to Speech – Off (I don’t like devices talking to me)

·     Radar Notifications = “On”, but I don’t know what this means

I didn’t know what any of the other stuff was, so I left it in default mode. I’d like to know what “FocusBand Settings” are and why “Baseline” is set to 25. What the heck is that, anyway?

I set the screen to record mode, selected “7-iron” from the icon at the lower left just to see if I was getting any readings. I was. Then I hit 10 balls each with 3, 5 7, 9 irons and GW. All were full swings. I also hit a range of pitches, all over 40 yards. At the end of the session, I hit a few different kinds of 7-irons (high, low, left, right) just to see if the unit would pick up the different launch angles. It did.

MEVO recorded everything and never missed a shot. Regrettably, it also recorded practice swings, so I had to go to “edit” mode and delete them. Real trouble, however, started with the driver – the unit missed half of my swings. A couple were darned good ones, too.  I don’t know why.

After this initial day of testing, I have a few comments and questions. First, why did MEVO miss the driver swings. Does this have something to do with the “FocusBand” setting? Distance to unit?

Second, I’ve got a table full of shot data. Is there some way to download this to my computer? Please tell me I don’t have to manually recopy it all.

Third, it sure would be nice to label the individual shots with something more detailed than just the club name. At the very least I’d like to note the type of shot, as well. No obvious way to do this.

In conclusion, my first day with MEVO was successful insofar as I was able to get the unit to record stuff. The swing speeds seemed reasonable. Iron distances were somewhat short but not horribly so given the type of ball being used. Driver distances were surprisingly pretty darned close to real life. In addition, the unit nicely picked up launch angle differences created by varying shot type. Overall, I’m encouraged.

Go here to see all your swings in a table view. https://myflightscope.com/

When you use your driver, you want to make sure the “Gun Sites” on the Mevo are straight down your target line. I use a alignment stick to site it and toss it back in my bag. My first Mevo would miss some driver shots but my newest one never seems to miss. Fyi, most people use their “best” distance as their club distances but you will quickly be humbled with the Mevo. My ego says I hit my 7 iron 165 but the Mevo says 150 with a 1.27 smash.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

So what I noticed with using the Mevo over the last 2 years is you hang a impact target such as a 3x3 bulls eye on your net you will see more consistent reads. If I missed low or pulled the ball hard left the Mevo wouldnt read the shot if I have the Mevo close to the ball. The radars beam width has greater coverage the further behind you place the Mevo. If the Mevo is too close then the ball exits the window before the first and second pulse of the Doppler radar by the time the ball hits the net or impact screen and thus causes a misread especially with higher velocity shots. From my understanding is the Indoor mode increases the pulse rate to try and capture the return signal faster. Brilliant technology for $500

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I had issues with my first unit as well and ended up selling it and buying a new set of AP2's. After about a year I was really missing having the Mevo just for reference when I was hitting balls. The newer model which doesnt have the Metal plate around the power button seems to be 10 times better than my first unit. Not sure if it was different internals or firmware or a combination of both but for the $250 I spent on it on Amazon deal of the day last year its hard to go wrong.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I had both the ES12 and ES14 and really had no complaints on either one. Both seemed to work well in the garage hitting balls into the net. The only gripe on the ES14 is that it only measures club head speed and ball speed. The rest are all calculated, so if your trying to test golf balls or new shafts its not the right tool. Reminded me of my old Bel Swing Mate.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

SM85B8Q599NL.jpgI bought my newest one on Amazon in December 2019. The new version has the black power button that is cut out in the case where the old version had the White round button with a metal plate around it. I honestly dont remember this Mevo missing any shots and thats close to 1000 balls hit already. Full PW is the only shot it might not read spin or launch angle but always reads ball velocity. My second unit would miss shots low and left with my net at 8'. I tried moving my Ruckket net to 10' and it picked up better but still didnt register some driver shots. New unit just works all the time and I also use it for baseball in the cages with my son and it picks up everything.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Day 2

Day 1 was successful insofar as I collected data and generally saw what the device could do. But after looking at the data, I wasn’t very impressed with my swing.  My average miss wasn’t so bad. But for my swing speed I was short, with too low a smash factor and too high a launch angle. The numbers said that I was hitting weak balloons.

So, Day 2 involved using a different kind of swing, one that involved hitting down on the ball with a lower, right-to-left trajectory. It a swing that a variety of teachers have tried to direct me toward, and one that I have stubbornly resisted because of its hook potential. 

It was a very windy day, but that shouldn’t have affected the numbers. I hit about 20 7-irons. I’ve been comparing my results to LPGA Trackman numbers, since my swing speed with a 7-iron is only slightly higher than that of an LPGA player. 

My carry yardage was 5 yards less and my smash factor 0.16 less than the LPGA average. My launch angle was very close and only differed by a half degree.  Encouragingly, my average distance miss was 4.56%; median was 3.85%, which reflects the fact that I had two bizarrely horrible shots that skewed the average higher.

I attribute the carry yardage difference to the ball. In fact, my distance with range balls seemed to be about 10 yards less than it would have been on grass with real balls. Perhaps the difference in ball explains the difference in smash factor, as well. I can examine that issue in the future by using real balls into a net indoors.

Day 3

Today’s efforts focused on comparing indoor to outdoor performance. My indoor range is setup with a 9 foot distance from the ball to the net and 6 foot distance from ball to MEVO. Ball was a Titleist Velocity with a metal dot affixed and positioned as directed by the MEVO manual. I chose the Velocity because it is closer to a range ball than, say, a ProV.

Indoor distance measurements were shorter than outdoor with nearly identical smash factors and launch angles.  The distance measurements were well short of on course measurements as well, eve with the same ball. Hence, I have to conclude that the MEVO’s performance indoors with real balls is simply not a usable representation of real life.

I have to say that I’m also quite disappointed by the smash factor results. I tried two different types of swings in an effort to improve the number, but wasn’t able to affect it very much in spite of the fact that I often feel as though I’m absolutely flattening the ball. I don’t know how I could hit it more squarely. I found a video on YouTube that compared MEVO against Trackman, and the MEVO smash factor numbers were well below those of Trackman. The same video demonstrated a significant discrepancy in driver distance, as well.

I’m beginning to question the value of this unit.