GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

WRX fitting Concept

Notorious22 ·  
Notorious22Notorious22 Scottsdale, AZMembers  39WRX Points: 51Posts: 39 Bunkers

Good Evening All,

I am writing to you tonight to get an opinion on a concept that I feel would solve the some WRX lifestyle issues. As many of you love to tinker with equipment, I feel there needs to be more options in the Golf Equipment industry to buy equipment parts only. Does anyone know if OEMS will allow you to buy the heads only direct? If there is, please feel free to comment. Please also add in thoughts of ideas you feel or wish golf manufacturers made available to us!

Posted:

WITB:
Driver-TS3 9.5 Tensei Orange 60tx C1 setting
3 wood: TS2 16.5 Tensei White 80tx C1 setting
3 Hybrid: 2020 miz CLK Tensei white 90tx set at 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX919 tour 4-PW. C-taper 130x D3
Wedges: Vokey 51,56,60 TI S400 D4
Putter: Mannkrafted SSB proto
Ball: 2020 BXS

BACKUP:
TS3 18*
919 tour 3 iron

Tagged:

Comments

• WristySwingWristySwing Members  963WRX Points: 618Posts: 963 Golden Tee

None of them do. The only places that do heads only are component companies like Maltby and Hireko. This has been discussed to death 1000x, and the consensus always is that "heck yes I would buy it". And then someone always points out that "stock" shafts really aren't costing the OEMs much if anything, so would you buy head only for say $400 if it came shafted for $450? Probably not, right. The OEMs get most of these shafts for at most $10 a piece now for their proprietary ones, it's not worth it for them to invest a ton of money when shaft tech is by and large very good these days and most people buying aren't going to spend the time to do it right and get fit for the proper shaft, especially if the savings is so small. You might be able to buy head only from a component account like True Spec or something but they are going to charge you full retail anyways, not like a secret handshake and a sly wink is suddenly going to drop the driver price down 50%.

Another topic of debate that gets brought up a lot is that companies did do this from 2005/2006-2010 and it was a massive flop. Remember the Callaway I-Mix and Taylormade R7 CGB Max Limited? Both of these programs were launched under the premise of buying the head only and you could pick up a mini fitting studio's selection of shafts for slightly cheaper than retail, already gripped, tipped, and ready for play. Both of these programs died a quick death, and now are worth the same as any other head of that era, if not less. The vast majority of the public saw no value in it as you were paying the same as someone who got a shaft with their driver, but now you had to go ahead and find one that worked on top of that. Joe Weekend who shoots 95+ and drinks 3 beers a side doesn't have time for that or care about that. The ones who have money want the latest and greatest and don't care/know about shaft performance, or they are discount hunters and are buying whatever is on sale and they hit straight once in the simulator a couple of years ago when it was current, where again, these head-only programs likely wouldn't apply.

If you are that worried about buying head-only I would suggest you look around on eBay in about another month, you'll find heads galore in very good+ to mint condition for cheaper than retail. Here is a previous discussion on the topic if you are interested in further reading. I am sure you could find more if you searched more thoroughly.

Posted:

Taylormade SIM 9* - Aldila Rogue Silver 130 MSI 60 | Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Veylix Arcane 788 | Callaway Mavrik SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85 | Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW - KBS $-Taper Black | Vokey SM8 Raw 50.12F, 54.12D & 59.07LBK - Accra 123i | Bettinardi BB Zero Custom - Stability | Tour Velvet Midsize Cord | Srixon Z-Star Xv Yellow

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29836WRX Points: 2,831Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,836 Titanium Tees

This thread used to come up every week like 7-8 years ago, i agree with the above that it's far less relevant now. The amount of stock/no-upcharge shafts that are available has probably doubled in the last decade if not way more than that. Even Ping offers OEM shafts at no upcharge and that was like heresy to them a decade ago. I remember looking at the Callaway Apex Pro irons last year and there were probably 30 different shafts available for those . Same for their drivers and TaylorMade and Titleist probably had 15-20 aswell.

So yeah, you can basically do this now

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G410 LST 14.5 w/ Ping Tour 75
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-Works Red Tank #7
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9749WRX Points: 1,650Posts: 9,749 Titanium Tees

I would but the economics don't make sense anymore. I can buy a shafted head brand new for what.. $450, then go sell the no upcharge shaft for $80 or something, then stick my current gamer shaft in my head, net cost for less than OEM would charge me for head alone.

Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Tour Z Xtreme 465
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105
    818H1 Tensei White 90
    Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers  2876WRX Points: 293Posts: 2,876 Titanium Tees

Re Heads Only

WRX Official Ho here.

Wednesday package in mail 4 topw+54/60

Threw shafts in bin and grips for sale.

Fully reshafted spined

Ready for 4pm today.

Yesterday just used 789 irons...throwing darts so finished the build..MP100 ......

Thats how you buy

Components youLove and can Resell !!!!!

Best Mizunos by far i

have used.WRXrs are 2% of the market......

Posted:
    2020  4July all Well🙂

Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
    Cleveland Launcher FL 3wd
    Titleist 904F 7wd steelshaft

MP100=33  pw 98765

54S  SM7 Vokey black
    60     RTX2
    ProPlatinum NewportTwo

• Hambone1Hambone1 Members  909WRX Points: 79Handicap: +2Posts: 909 Golden Tee

Nobody outside the small subset of GolfWRX cares or would even know what to do with a pull out.

OEM’s are beholden to shareholders and boards. If it’s not a revenue source, it won’t happen.

Posted:
    14 clubs
  • Notorious22Notorious22 Scottsdale, AZMembers  39WRX Points: 51Posts: 39 Bunkers

Ah thank you all for responding. I guess I was going for more of a pipe dream of being able to buy 4-pw for a significant less margin than a completed build lol

Posted:

WITB:
    Driver-TS3 9.5 Tensei Orange 60tx C1 setting
    3 wood: TS2 16.5 Tensei White 80tx C1 setting
    3 Hybrid: 2020 miz CLK Tensei white 90tx set at 19*
    Irons: Mizuno JPX919 tour 4-PW. C-taper 130x D3
    Wedges: Vokey 51,56,60 TI S400 D4
    Putter: Mannkrafted SSB proto
    Ball: 2020 BXS

BACKUP:
    TS3 18*
    919 tour 3 iron

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.