TITLEIST TS Drivers... do they hold up in 2020?

FormerDimer ·  
FormerDimerFormerDimer Members  27WRX Points: 25Posts: 27 Bunkers

Been gaming a trusty 910D3 for the better part of a decade... i'm a firm believer that it takes awhile for you to actually learn how to play a particular club so my hoe-ness is actually relatively minimal. But with great deals to be found on the TS series this year, I wanted to ask all of you out there that have experience with it plus today's current offerings... is it still worth picking up in 2020?

I hit the MAVRIK SZ in the simulator and loved everything about it (except maybe the orange), but the partial Titleist fanboy in me (I play Mizuno irons) wouldn't mind picking up a TS3 and pairing it with a current, exotic low-launch, low-spinning shaft. I'm thinking Ventus black 6x... i play an old Motore TS 6.2x atm so thinking that would be a good starting point. I hover and hit up on the ball so my setup is usually low loft head + low launch/spinning shaft.

Thoughts? Insight? All of it much appreciated!

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers  969WRX Points: 262Handicap: 6.9Posts: 969 Golden Tee

I have been TaylorMade for years, with the M2, M5, and then M6. I really never loved the last two though I know they are quality drivers. I also owned the Cobra F9 which I hit poorly, and the Mizuno ST190 which I liked a lot but the HO in me ruled after a bad week or two middle of last year.

I went to the TS3 with just the stock Even Flow T1100 after the M6 and it has become my favorite driver of all time. Until now, the TM M2 was the all time winner. I had tried 4 shafts in the M5 and M6 and I just could not keep either consistently in the FW (and not blaming them for my swings). For me the TS3 sounds better, feels better, and the results have been as good as I have ever had with a driver (and while not a big hitter, driver has historically been the one club that could get my swing back on track in a slump).

If I am answering your question, the TS3 is not only still relative, I feel for me it is the best available.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 with Evenflow White T1100 stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Srixon Z H85 19 degree hybrid with Fujikura Pro stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 22 degree with Fujikura Pro stiff
    Bridgestone J15 CB PW-5i with Recoil 110 F4
    Vokey 58 K grind
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50 and 54 with Steelfiber 110 Stiff
    Odyssey Stroke Lab 7

• DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1581WRX Points: 789Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,581 Platinum Tees

TS3 is as good as anything out there if you get it fit properly.

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

• FormerDimerFormerDimer Members  27WRX Points: 25Posts: 27 Bunkers

Not to get too off-topic, but I see your setup in the signature... what's keeping you from sticking to one driver? The SIM setup you got seems right up my alley...

Posted:
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1581WRX Points: 789Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,581 Platinum Tees

I like shiny things. Played triple diamond EFSZ and it was the best driver I've ever had. Just like to tinker and change things up! Not expecting any life changing results. That being said....the SIM looks and feels incredible. Solid numbers as well.

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

• rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers  969WRX Points: 262Handicap: 6.9Posts: 969 Golden Tee

I am not sure if I would like your driver, but I sure would like to play to your HC :-)

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 with Evenflow White T1100 stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Srixon Z H85 19 degree hybrid with Fujikura Pro stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 22 degree with Fujikura Pro stiff
    Bridgestone J15 CB PW-5i with Recoil 110 F4
    Vokey 58 K grind
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50 and 54 with Steelfiber 110 Stiff
    Odyssey Stroke Lab 7

Advertisement
  • DFinchDFinch Members  1514WRX Points: 317Handicap: 6.2Posts: 1,514 Platinum Tees

The TS line definitely keeps up with the shiny newer stuff.

Like rxk9fan, the TS3 with EvenFlow White remains in the bag.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 14* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip
  • FormerDimerFormerDimer Members  27WRX Points: 25Posts: 27 Bunkers

Other than the Evenflow White, anyone know what the hot shafts are to pair with this thing? Found a great deal in the classifieds... wish me luck!

Posted:
  • DFinchDFinch Members  1514WRX Points: 317Handicap: 6.2Posts: 1,514 Platinum Tees

Well, the only shaft that temps me away from the Evenflow is the Ventus Black, which is already on your radar...so there's that.

As a side note and slightly off topic, the best bang for your buck driver IMO right now is the Cobra F9 due to the price drop. New for new, same same. The fact that everyone but Titleist put out a new driver this year means you're stilling paying top dollar for the Titleist and can get a same year model from another brand for about half off. Just something to think about.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 14* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2327WRX Points: 1,485Handicap: 5Posts: 2,327 Platinum Tees

TS3 is 🔥

Posted:

• SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members  1267WRX Points: 203Handicap: It is ClimbingPosts: 1,267 Platinum Tees

Accra TZ5 and TS3....I really like the combination.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • uglandeuglande Members  387WRX Points: 274Posts: 387 Greens

I have tried TS3 (previously owned one and just re-purchased one) and never had luck with the Evenflow shaft. Actually increased my spin dramatically, confirmed through multiple tests and even multiple drivers (at Golf Galaxy). I can't explain it ... but I guess it's just a reminder that whatever works for one person won't necessarily work for you, even if your swing speeds match.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5  (Hzrdus Yellow)
    TM Original Mini (Hzrdus Yellow)
    Titleist TS3 15w (Hzrdus Yellow) 
    Titleist TS3 18w (Hzrdus Yellow)
    Titleist U500 4i (Hzrdus Smoke Black)
    Mizuno MP-20 5-P (Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist SM8 54-58 (Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5
  • uglandeuglande Members  387WRX Points: 274Posts: 387 Greens

I had a Diamana White in my old TS3 which felt amazing but was a little heavy. Have the Smoke 60 in the new one so I'll see how it compares (especially in the head-to-head I have planned with the M5 in the same shaft and loft).

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5  (Hzrdus Yellow)
    TM Original Mini (Hzrdus Yellow)
    Titleist TS3 15w (Hzrdus Yellow) 
    Titleist TS3 18w (Hzrdus Yellow)
    Titleist U500 4i (Hzrdus Smoke Black)
    Mizuno MP-20 5-P (Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist SM8 54-58 (Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers  2164WRX Points: 306Handicap: ~7Posts: 2,164 Platinum Tees

TS3 hasn't been beat yet... and i go and hit everything. Stud has matched it, nothing has beat it.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 - 10.5* - Tour AD TP 6TX
    Ping G410 LST - 14.5* - Evenflow Black 75g 6.5
    Callaway Apex 3h - 20* - Catalyst HYB80 6.5
    Titleist U500 4 iron - Modus 120x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-6 iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 7-GW - DGTI x100
    Titleist SM7 54.10 S-Grind - DGTI x100
    Titleist SM2 58.12 - DGTI X100
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8.5
    Titleist Pro V1x, Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • Springbok45Springbok45 Members  29WRX Points: 42Posts: 29 Bunkers

Accra Tour Z RPG 462, works lovely in mine

Posted:
  • StetsonStetson Members  2667WRX Points: 169Posts: 2,667 Titanium Tees

TS3 beat SIM Max for me last week. This week it will go against the SIM. Next week the Mav Sub Zero.

Posted:
    Driver: Titleist TS3 (Ventus Black)
    5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
    3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Tour AD DI)
    or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Advertisement
  • j3r1ch0h0l1cj3r1ch0h0l1c San Antonio Members  20WRX Points: 21Handicap: 3.0Posts: 20 Bunkers

TS3 stays in the bag for quite a while, definitely the best fit for myself and I love the Sure Fit hosel more than any other adjustable hosel out there. I'll admit to being somewhat skeptical about the "hype" at first and I'm not sure if I gained a lot in distance from the 917D3 personally but overall I've hit better drives with this thing and it's not leaving.

Posted:

Titleist TS3 9.75 w/ 6.0 HZRDUS Smoke at 44”
    Srixon ZU65 3I Modus3 120S
    Ping G410 4h Tour 85 S
    Ping I210 5-Uw Modus3 105X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54 SW
    Ping Eye2 3.0 58/8
    BeCu Ping Zing 5 34.5

• zdtallanzdtallan MarylandMembers  114WRX Points: 62Handicap: 3.2Posts: 114 Fairways

I was fitted for a TS3 8.5* and have gamed it for the last year until recently switching to an M5. It really isn't a head to head comparison because the shaft is different. I was fit for a HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0 in the TS3, which was way better for my spin than the EF White. The M5 has a Tensei Pro White 60TX in it so not really the same. To me, the TS3 feels much better off the face, and I like the clean look of it much better but I can't argue with the improved data and course performance of the M5, again if I put the Tensei in the TS3 I have a feeling that I would get similar figures. Long story short, it holds up against anything which just came out, it beat out the Cobra SZ and the Mavrik SZ before I got the M5.

Posted:

Taylormade M5 9.0* Tensei Pro White 60tx

TEE CBX 119 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon U65 2 Iron GD AD-DI 85x

Srixon z765 4-P Modus 120 S

Cleveland RTX 4.0 Raw (52, 56, 60 x-low)

Toulon Austin

• cgasuckscgasucks Members  2502WRX Points: 413Posts: 2,502 Titanium Tees

Unless the USGA and R&A increases the COR and head size limits, my 905R can still hold up in 2020...and beyond.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • wam78wam78 Members  674WRX Points: 198Handicap: NAPosts: 674 Golden Tee

Absolutely love the ts3. It sets up so nice and square with a clean look. I also have the EFW, but am currently playing it with a motore speeder vc 6.2. The EFW is a fantastic shaft, I just like having options. I have not even thought about switching since it’s been in the bag.

Posted:
    Ts3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2
    Ts3 15*  Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue Board 70s set at C1
    U500 2 Iron Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Bridgestone Tour B JGR h2 4i Modus 120s 
    Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 5-pw Modus 120s
    SM8 50.8F, 54.10S, 58.10S Modus 125 Wedge
    Toulon Las Vegas KBS CT Tour Black Matte Shaft, Iomic Mid Classic
    Tour B XS
  • naws-golfernaws-golfer Members  1662WRX Points: 128Handicap: 3.5Posts: 1,662 Platinum Tees

The TS series was a close second for me in the last driver fitting. I went with the epic flash SZ, but the ts2 was up there in ball speed and forgiveness. I didn't try the TS3, looking back, I wish I would have. The TS2 sound and feel was better than the epic flash, but I loved the look of the Callaway. I would have liked to put my shaft from the epic into a TS3 and see how that went, but the fitter didn't have that one with the titleist tip.

I also tried the M5/6 and the ping g400 but the Callaway and titleist were the clear tops. ball speed on the TS series is as good as any driver out there currently. For me. YMMV

Posted:

Advertisement
  • collingsom1asbcollingsom1asb Members  4WRX Points: 6Posts: 4 Starters

Hard to beat the TS2. I've tested the ISM, SIM Max, Mavrik, and Ping G410, and the TS2 won the battle every time. Just fits my swing.

Posted:
  • Beachbum08247Beachbum08247 Members  119WRX Points: 38Posts: 119 Fairways

I put my TS3 in the simulator last weekend vs my SiM. TS3 averaged exactly the same distance both carry and total. It also sounded better and was straighter. Needless to say, the SiM will be on the BST very soon.

Posted:
  • roosterman9roosterman9 Members  3WRX Points: 5Handicap: 9Posts: 3 Starters

I went from a 909D to a TS3 this winter. Took a few years off and got fitted this offseason. A few drivers our there were longer by a few yards, Epic Flash SZ was the longest I tested, but with my 117 swing speed I was very happy with the number from the TS3. Dialed the shaft to an X Even Flow 1100 and full weight to the toe.

By far the best set up I had seen after testing dozens of variations. Like i said I gave up a few yards, but my big miss, slice off high toe, is completely minimized. That miss used to go about 240 and now is more in the 260 carry range and is much closer to centerline. That was the biggest reason why it is in the bag!

Posted:
  • burgeburge Members  98WRX Points: 87Posts: 98 Fairways

I was fitted for and have gamed a TS3 with an Atmos blue shaft for the last year. I have tested several of the new offerings and the only improvement that I have seen over the TS3 is that some of the newer “max” versions of drivers offer more forgiveness on misses towards the toe, which I have found to be the only negative with the TS 3.

Posted:
  • sigmapete1sigmapete1 Members  1228WRX Points: 73Handicap: 10Posts: 1,228 Platinum Tees

Did you get to compare the TS4 to the TS3? Based on specs alone it would seem to add a few yards for a 117 SS based on the reduced spin.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • stonebart72stonebart72 Members  37WRX Points: 33Handicap: 12Posts: 37 Bunkers

Recently kicked my 915D3 out of the bag for a TS3. Thought the day would never come. But I wanted to get something newer. I believe every 5 years you should switch out your equipment. Not because of technology but because things just get...well old. Faces wear down and yes technology could be just a bit better. My specs from the 915 to the TS were about the same. The only thing I got better results in were my spin and carry. Overall the distance was about 5 yds more with the TS3. But the consistency was also greater. I ended up going with a Fubuki J series shaft (older model) because I wanted something with mid spin and flight. I don’t play a high ball off my driver. I like a mid trajectory with piercing flight. I hate the balloon effect on drivers these days. You might get more carry but to me it just looks horrendous. Call me a traditionalist.

this driver will stay in the bag for at least 5 years. I do not see technology changing much anymore. I think the golf industry has maxed out on this area. Courses are not getting longer anymore in my opinion. They are getting tighter and more complex. You need a driver you can trust and work with, not something that gets you more and more yardage. At some point that actually becomes detrimental to your game.

Titleist has found a way to get back into the hands of the regular golfer, not the low handicapper. I for one commend this. They finally have put down their soap box and begun reaching out to the masses.

Posted:

Titleist TS3 9.5*

Wilson Staff Utility Irons 18* / 23*

Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW

Corey Paul Art 50/54/58

Custom Made Putter by Me

I play mine with the weight in the toe. Seems to be a common setup with the TS3.

Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  5934WRX Points: 1,399Handicap: 3Posts: 5,934 Titanium Tees

I can’t be sure but even when Titleist releases whatever will come to replace the TS line, the current TS3 will still hold up. Genuinely at a point where if there are any benefits coming in from new clubs it is going to be a case of incremental gains and all but unnoticeable until such time as we add about three or four of these incremental gains together.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019

Advertisement
  • Trying4BetterTrying4Better Members  230WRX Points: 85Handicap: 13Posts: 230 Fairways

Love that you subscribed to putting the weight where the miss is. To my knowledge, Titleist is the only manufacturer that tells you to do that. The rest tell you to put it in the heel for a draw and toe for a slice. By that logic you would exaggerate the slice, which is not what us TS3 users notice. I too have my weight in the toe and even went with a setting slightly closed in the face to further help stabilize and square the face. Is it a Band-Aid? Maybe. But, I have this club synced to my swing now, which hasn't changed. Do I still miss? Yup. But it is significantly better. I said it before, and I will say it again, the surefit system is the best in the business.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.