COVID-19 and local golf (NO POLITICS)

MountainGoat ·  
MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2625WRX Points: 1,230Posts: 2,625 Titanium Tees
Joined:  edited Mar 15, 2020 2:15pm in Courses, Memberships and Travel #1

Beautiful weather here in the mid-Atlantic yesterday, and I found the course oddly empty. I can't predict whether local courses will be jammed during the shutdown or empty.

Posted:
Post edited by GwrxMod on

Comments

• golf1010golf1010 Members  1340WRX Points: 96Posts: 1,340 Platinum Tees

Me either.... I was wondering if any courses will close. Especially the local municipal ones

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers  3790WRX Points: 282Posts: 3,790 Titanium Tees

Our Muni was totally mobbed yesterday. I volunteer to work on the greens twice a week. I've never seen that many people before. There were 3 and 4 groups on every hole, and we have 27 holes. I had to stop working as I couldn't get anything done.

That said, I normally play every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I may stop playing on Monday and Wednesday as they guys I play with are older and go to the doctors and hospitals a few days a week. I don't think I need all that exposure. I'll continue playing those days but either alone or with my wife.

Posted:
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1113WRX Points: 186Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,113 Platinum Tees

They’re all in lines at Costco and Trader Joe’s.

Posted:
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members  1267WRX Points: 203Handicap: It is ClimbingPosts: 1,267 Platinum Tees

Cannot predict outcome, but I’ve offered similar comments regarding open space and lack of transmission opportunities if no one else is out on the course with you. Stay healthy and hit em with the curve you intend @Fellaheen51

Posted:
  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members  6133WRX Points: 4,061Posts: 6,133 Titanium Tees

Not looking forward to grocery shopping this morning at the Superstore. It could be a zoo, but I just don't know because we're not in a trouble zone although it's getting closer everyday.

I think that this could be a boon for golf courses this spring, but if the clientele is predominantly senior that might end up being another story. It will touch us all in some way before this is all over.

The sale of bicycles could be brisk this spring as that is another outdoor option for light exercise/activity.

Posted:
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°
    Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°
    TM '09 Rescue 5H
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    Cleveland CBX 56° SW
    Rossa Tourismo 3 Counterbalanced

Advertisement
  • drewsaber16drewsaber16 Members  55WRX Points: 30Handicap: 4.4Posts: 55 Bunkers

If they take away golf after cancelling my favorite time of the year...depression will truly set in. Stay safe out there and hit em straight.

Posted:
  • Pure_putterPure_putter Members  10WRX Points: 9Handicap: 1Posts: 10 Bunkers

My club kicked me off the 2nd green this afternoon after the board closed the course for the next few days until they can formally meet on the topic. I'd imagine most will slowly close. If one does it they all start following.

Posted:
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers  709WRX Points: 894Handicap: My tolerance for stupidity.Posts: 709 Golden Tee

What kind of dark ages does your board live in?!?!? What city/region are you in?

Posted:

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone 9* w/ Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7X
    3-Wood: TaylorMade M5 15* w/ Oban Devotion 8 O5
    Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5
    4i - 9i: NLG 902 w/ DG TI X100
    Wedges: Jaws MD5 46/10S, 50/10S, 54/8C, 58/8W, all w/ DG TI S400
    Putter: Lajosi Custom DD201WB w/ Stability Shaft

• 2Down2Down Members  264WRX Points: 116Handicap: 4.2Posts: 264 Greens

I’m with this thought. Currently I plan on playing tomorrow. How different can that be than staying home with the windows open.

Posted:
    Ping G410+ tensi orange s
    Cobra F8+ 3-4 15°  Aldila NV 2KXV 75 Green w/Cobra smart grip
    Adams 9031 18° Mitsubishi diamana
    Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
    Ping Ie1 5-U DG S300
    Mizuno T7 54° 12°b
    Ping glide 2 58°. ES
    Futura 5.5

Advertisement
  • J13J13 Dad golf MarylandMembers  16233WRX Points: 1,238Handicap: +1.6Posts: 16,233 Titanium Tees

agree. I just got done playing and everything was normal.

Posted:
    Driver - Under construction
    Fairway wood - Under construction
    Irons - Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Wedges - Callaway MD5 50S, 54S, MD4 60C
    Odyssey Versa 6
    Srixon Zstar XV

WITB & Content - 
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1108083/j13s-witb-2020-irons-podcast-pics-added-pg-101/p1

Instagram-
    On -, @Jminis13

I'm in the Philadelphia area with a high of 70 today and apparently no golf allowed. Tee sheet was stacked this afternoon too. I think most boards average age are from the dark ages. They be the ones most prone.

Posted:
  • bsuwarabsuwara Members  80WRX Points: 97Posts: 80 Fairways
    Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2625WRX Points: 1,230Posts: 2,625 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  12742WRX Points: 3,524Handicap: 5.0Posts: 12,742 Titanium Tees

Shoot it ain't slowed anyone down at all in the Grand Strand area of SC---- The snowbirds have not let up any. They did not even consider cancelling the Myrtle Beach Marathon last week. Our Governor has not declared any state of emergency in fact he has down played it. Part of it I feel is because Tourism is our #1 industry. I think as of today our neighboring states of North Carolina and Georgia have declared some kind of emergency. We are going to soldier on the wife and I if we get it we get it--- If we die we die

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special
    LW Wilson Harmonized 60 Stock TT shaft
    Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace MK5 Tour Issue
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

Advertisement
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32469WRX Points: 2,458Posts: 32,469 Titanium Tees

One of our local courses closed today until further notice.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• cbbaroncbbaron Quincy MassMembers  1197WRX Points: 210Handicap: 9.1Posts: 1,197 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    Driver Ping G400 Max Hzrdas Yellow
    3w Titleist 915 Aldila Silver
    19 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    22 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    5- Pw Mizuno HMP Nippon Modus 120
    50  Vokey 50 Sm7 F grind
    54  Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
    58    Vokey 58 SM5 S grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.0
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32469WRX Points: 2,458Posts: 32,469 Titanium Tees

South Shore Country Club in Hingham. A few minutes later I get an email from DW Fields in Brockton saying they are opening tomorrow.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• stevopagolfstevopagolf Members  1523WRX Points: 144Posts: 1,523 Platinum Tees

That's encouraging to hear. I have a trip planned for Easter week and was concerned about restaurants, golf and other fun venues being closed....

Posted:
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2327WRX Points: 1,262Handicap: +0.9Posts: 2,327 ClubWRX

Playing in a 2 person best ball tournament Monday at SPIGC and the women's group at our club on Thursday. TGA sent an email this morning indicating that currently no tournaments, qualifiers, or fun golf days are being cancelled. While all this could change, it would take something pretty dramatic to happen. Many of the schools are closing and all extra-curricular activities have been cancelled. I'm guessing all the kids are headed to the malls or the beach. Hmmm...

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Snell MTB-X in yellow

Advertisement
  • NolesNoles Members  1607WRX Points: 227Posts: 1,607 Platinum Tees

Where? I live in Montgomery Co and I played 3 days this week and have a time for Saturday and Sunday. I'm a teacher and schools are closed. I will be playing a lot of golf...leaving the flagstick in of course!

Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  12742WRX Points: 3,524Handicap: 5.0Posts: 12,742 Titanium Tees

Trust me my friend these money grubbers down here will not close off a thing unless the Federal Government makes them. The virus ain't stopped one thing here you ought to have been on 501 heading to the beach this afternoon. Of course me being the professional truck driver that I am dodged 501 and used SC 22 and SC 31. But I do live on the south end and truck out of Myrtle so the drive home was about 35 minutes or so

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special
    LW Wilson Harmonized 60 Stock TT shaft
    Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace MK5 Tour Issue
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

Posted:
  • FadeFade Members  1332WRX Points: 241Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2625WRX Points: 1,230Posts: 2,625 Titanium Tees

Day 2 of the shutdown, and once again my local course wasn't particularly crowded. It was ridiculously windy, though, so that might have put some people off. High school kids showed up in the afternoon because school's out, but it didn't make much difference.

Posted:
This discussion has been closed.