2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Private Clubs shutting down due to Corona...

one of the big muni management companies down in south Texas (foresight golf) sent out an email blast yesterday saying they believe that the best place to be at this time is out on a golf course.

Crazy that private’s are shutting it down. I’d be livid. Of course like you said those people have a lot of money and are not getting hurt by it.

It's not the playing of golf itself that's the big problem (although I guess an infected person could touch the flag and that could take out every person behind).

But depending on the size of the operation it's the lockeroom, restaurant, etc. And how does the staff get there if kids school is cancelled or someone is ill etc.

RTJ sites are still open ... have taken out sand rakes and all water coolers, and advise leaving the pin in ... sure hope they don't shut down ... golf's going to be one of the very few places people can go ... might even ... wait for it ...

GROW THE GAME ...

A number of things at my club have shut down, such as no buffets, no happy hour, limited menus. And lots more sanitation items & workers in the fitness center, lots of hand sanitizer everywhere. Rental golf carts are being wiped down after ever use. Snack foods (popcorn & munchies) that are usually out at refreshment stations have been discontinued, just coffee/water/ice is now available. Probably more will be done as time goes on. So far, in our community in South Central New Mexico, there have been no cases of Covid-19 reported. Thank God I have golf to play!

I still get emails from the club I used to belong to in PA. According to the one I received this morning, they are open for business as usual, they outlined the enhanced cleaning procedures, asked that people refrain from handshaking, mentioned that they have spread out the dining room tables and aren't letting people sit at the bar . No events are cancelled yet, but this is generally a pretty dead time of the year for the restaurant without any events until mid April, and not many people are playing golf yet due to the weather other than a dozen or so diehards.

During the winter when the pro shop and cart barn are usually closed, they let walkers play without having to check in at the clubhouse, so long as they put their name on the online tee sheet. Part of me could see that being put back into effect, but the 80%+ of the membership who either can't or won't walk will probably raise a stink.

There usually isn't much going on in terms of course maintenance until the first or second week of April, often just clean-up of winter debris until then, definitely no grass mowing other than maybe the greens.

Basic maintenance can’t be done without 50 people within 6ft of each other?

The work needs to get done one way or another. If no work is done for 8 weeks, like some are recommending for schools, the courses may be lost for the season at this point. There is no reason to put off basic maintenance at this point.

Not any longer, just saw on the Austin GolfATX twitter page that effective immediately all courses are closed.

March 15th -All City of Austin Golf ATX golf courses will be closed effective immediately, until further notice. #golfatx #austingolf#atxgolf

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

So far, both my NC vacation spot (MidSouth and Talamore) and my home club in Virginia are open for normal activities, including bar and restaurant. Special social events are cancelled/postponed for now. We've had emails from both outlining the precautions the clubs are taking, as well as the precautions they expect each of the members to take. I'm hoping it doesn't become necessary to close anything additional, but I'd rather they do what's appropriate.

maintenance of a golf course isn't a high risk position where the virus is concerned ... actually fairly low ... mow the greens ... probably don't have to do anything with the bunkers, just tell people to use their feet ... leave the pin in ... a golf course might be the only place for some type of sporting activity, for a while ...

If you take the tact of minimizing risk, knowing you cannot eliminate it, there are a lot of places you could be (overcrowded grocery stores) at greater risk when compared to a private golf/country club with a membership of 200-500 people and a golfing population of maybe half of that in the open air. Yes I know that was about 3 sentences packed into one, but it was to make the point that there are factors that are in your favor in that setting vs others. If being on an actual course, in open air, where there is little close contact to others, and a small staff maintaining it is high risk none of us should be allowed outside of the house right now.

I've washed my hands 6 times today. I've used Clorox wipes to open the door at the office, wiped down my desk, haven't picked up anything or opened a drawer with my bare hands. Our entire company has only 17 employees and I'm still taking these precautions. I have Clorox wipes in my truck to wipe down gas pumps when I have to get gas. The amount of #coronashaming going on right now is absolutely ridiculous. There are plenty of us who know how things spread, are smart people and are very rational about taking additional precautions. We know and understand what is going on. We also are not going to live in a cave for two months and watch the world cease to exist. There is a middle ground and I'll be damned if I get lectured.

• Like 2
In search of solid contact...

Our club took some additional precautions and sent them out on Friday. No guests, everyone must sign in if you are there for any reason at all, all silverware is wrapped and not brought out to you in open air, no cocktail straws, all workers to wear gloves when serving food, screening of employees when they come in.

I could see them maybe shutting down for food at some point as more things close, but I'd guess golf still sticks around for the forseeable future. It has to be one of the lowest risk things you can do right now. Again, you can't eliminate risk, but you can minimize it or choose lower risk moves.

In search of solid contact...

If people want real mayhem they will shut down golf courses. IMO, the course is one of the safest places to be. Not only due to the nominal contact you have with people, but also just to say sane during these trying times. I was at a higher end muni over the weekend and both the range and course were absolutely packed. This course charges about $150 to play and $18 for a large bucket too.

I agree with all of this and feel the same way. When I get to my club I'll have my tee time booked online, set up my walking cart and proceed to the range/1st tee without coming into contact with anyone. My only interaction will be with the starter who'll be safely in a cart away from me. The only possible risk I can foresee is the hole with everyone getting their ball out of it. I might try putting my glove back on to retrieve my ball. From my perspective I see no reason to shut down. However, if they decide to shut down the course due to risk to staff and/or maintenance personnel then I would completely understand that