2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

what's up everyone. I'm not really sure where to go at this point so I'm looking for some advice from anyone that is willing to give it. My 5 year old son loves golf and is pretty good for his age. I'm not just saying that cuz I'm his dad. he hits the ball well and putts okay. he loves playing in "tournaments" already and asks to go play almost everyday. my problem at this point is that I already feel like he could be benefiting from an actual coach. I feel like I have tried to help him with his putting a ton and for whatever reason I cant convey my point enough for him to understand what I'm saying. In my personal experience from being coached in other sports, some times when your parent tells you something it might not come across as well as if it was coming from someone else, like a coach.

I guess my question is, am I over thinking this or is a coach at this age something I should actually be considering? I understand he's only 5 but if this is something that he wants to work at and its something he likes doing, I would like to help him in anyway I can.

thanks in advance!

You're over thinking it. Unless you want to be a Michelle Wie style overlord parent, I'd let your son just have fun. If you're a good or even half way decent player, you can give him all the coaching he needs until he's probably like 8 or 9. Unless he's a legit rising superstar, I'd just make sure he's out there having fun, and nothing else. Maybe if he begs you for a coach I could see bringing him to one for something basic but his body and mind are going to develop so rapidly over the decade+, it's probably best to keep things light.

I'll go against the grain and say a coach isn't a bad idea.

Sure you could take it too far with too many lessons and instructions. But a good instructor would know to just give a few ideas to him to get him going in the right direction.

Main point is to enjoy the game. But if your 5 year old is very into it and can handle it, why not try it? He might end up enjoying it more if he keeps getting better and better.

At our facility we have an 8 year old minimum at the junior camps and events. But that's because of behavior and attention limitations in groups for that age.

Let your son lead you. And remember you can always stop it it's not productive or taking the fun out of it.

Find a golf academy that operates 1/week for 30-45 minutes. Usually these have around 8-12 kids in the class.

Then watch/read this: http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/tpigreg-264945-parentnightvideo-tpi-junior-golf-parent-workshop-sports-ppt-powerpoint/

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

LOL, this actually is a good idea golf or no golf -- 5 year olds can benefit from music lessons -- totally different than golf for which paying someone to mold a swing or worry about bad habits is a waste of money at that age -- let the kid have fun.

Group, fun golf stuff with other kids in a little kids clinic kind of setting -- totally agree.

Look up some putting games and other fun drills on YouTube. You should be able to come up with some things that will organically aid in his development while still keeping things lighthearted and enjoyable. Kids, especially that young, learn best through play.

Every kid is different, but 5 is very young for formal instruction.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Whenever someone brings something like this up, I think about Bobby Orr's comments on hockey parents driving their kids into the ground before the kids develop a love for the sport. A lot of those kids end up burnt out and quit the sport, for good (the same thing happens with music lessons). Once a kid loves something, their growing obsession will give them all the drive they need. I'd guess most people on a golf forum know that from their own personal experience.

post will say 5 is young for a coach, but if you can get 30 mins lessons to start teaching some basics that are great with younger kids it be great. Finding someone who is willing to work with kids that young probably be hard to find. I'd use uskg certified coaches as they are more than likely. I know a lot want them in the 8 range unless they are pretty focused.

We are in Phoenix.

To some of the other points, absolutely I do not want to over push or burn him out. But we just woke up this morning, he went and put on his clothes and came out to the living room and asked if we could go golfing. This is almost everyday. If anything he’s burning me out ?? jk. He really does love playing. His only frustration with golf is when he doesn’t hit a good shot or if putting doesn’t go well. So that’s why I feel like possible getting a coach would help him grow his love for the game

I had a parent behind me on the range yesterday telling his 6-year-old son that he needed to "drop into the slot". The kid had no idea what he was talking about. Probably won't be long before he tells the kid that he's got to "shallow the shaft".

Kids that age mimic behavior. They don't respond to "how to" instruction.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with some sort of structure for a 5 year old.

Go out and find group lessons for the kid stick them in it once a week and see if they like it. Do that for a year a two until they can play 9 holes and then you go out an find an instructor that makes sense.

Groups lessons are joke if you are looking to actually get better but a 5 year old just needs to learn to love the game. Both my kids started off in group lessons and it was not a bad experience initially. The kids had fun and I had to take them regularly to the course. The only mistake I did is thinking private lesson with instructors who lead these or that the group lessons were qualified to teach kids to play tournament golf. The guy who does the lessons may be good but don't assume that. Some people are good with groups of kids and some are not and with group lessons your looking for someone who can handle a group of kids more than an actual golf instructor.

When you seek out lessons you want to make sure the person lets the kids have fun but at the same time doesn't let them just goof off. (very hard to find). They should teach fundamentals and basic and it should make the kids feel comfortable on the course. You should also have a chance to play team events with other kids.

Once you notice you kid is focusing way more the average kid start looking for better instruction or do more on your own. Also once a week is more then enough for this type of class.

One of my girls was Godzilla for a week or two, lol.

If his issues with expectations are a problem, and I doubt it is really a problem, just reacting like normal kids will I am guessing, but since you are suggesting it's a "thing", that's the Dad life experiences department not a golf coach need for a 5 year old!!!

Take him out and have fun, that's all there is to it.

I don't think you can categorize every 5 year old together.

His 5 year old sounds unique with his interest and capacity for golf. Why not take him where he wants to go? He's not getting married or choosing his life profession. You can always switch gears and go back to no instructor. I've seen success stories of kids starting instruction at a young age. I've also seen kids lose enjoyment and stop playing. Every kid is different.

You know your kid better than any of us do. Make the decision YOU think is best for your son and go from there.

• Like 1

Definitely agree with you there.

I just don't agree with the statement that every 5 year old doesn't need a coach. Sure none of them "need" one. But few can certainly benefit from starting instruction early.

I don't think Tiger Woods is upset that his dad coached him and gave him instructions early on in life. I don't think Bronny James Jr is upset, that his dad gave him coaching and technical instruction early on in life. Sure there's some examples of getting burnt-out or taking the fun out of it or ruining a relationship. But if the father doesn't have the knowledge, then I don't see anything wrong trying to find someone else that does and seeing what happens.

I think bottom line for me, is no harm no foul. Sign him up. He starts not having fun, then stop it and go back to what you were previously doing. My nephew started at age 4 and he's now 9 and it's pretty impressive. It's still his favorite thing to do and I don't think he'd be at the same level he is now, if he didn't get instruction early on. I'm speaking from small sample sizes though. But I still think these types of decisions is based on the individual and not a grouping them all together. But that's just my opinion, which in this case, means nothing.

• Like 1

But how much knowledge does dad really need to have?

Does a 5 year old who already hits the ball well and putts "okay" need more right now? (You know what I'm going to say, lol, he's 5 and just let him putt and figure it out and no he doesn't putt "okay", he putts great!).

Here the kid hits the ball well and loves to get out there but dad seems a little worried he isn't "getting through" (my take) and uses putting as an example and talks about coaches getting through to kids when parents can't. First, I commend dad for stopping and thinking about this. Second, is the issue more dad just needs to take a step back and that's really all there is for now? IMO, and always strictly IMO, the answer for this kid, based on the information at hand, and recognizing his individuality, is yes, dad should just step back, dial back his coaching a bit and go out and have fun.

The kid isn't missing out on any opportunity to "develop" as a golfer at the age of 5, he won't be "behind", and IMO the kid may have fun with another adult for 30 minutes or so but at 5 it's really nothing more than some fun babysitting (or that's about all it should be). It's not like at 5 he'll be "working on" stuff (and if he is, with swing thoughts or worrying about positions, etc. then look out). And yes, I believe that to be the case for all 5 year olds. Not knocking what your nephew did, and if the OP says he went ahead and set up lesson, I won't criticize that, but just providing a different opinion and he's looking for them and your opinion is no less valid, it's your opinion and you have context which is always important.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the back and forth, but I don't think I'll do anything but repeat myself from here on out on this one, so best to leave it.

I'm always happy to read about kids at any age who love the game and will always preach, based on helping to raise a couple of great girls, each of whom enjoys golf very much but in different ways and vastly different abilities, and based on having a dad and, as I got older also a couple of grandpas, who just took me out with them to play ---- my memories of golf from an early age up until even high school (not an "elite" player here, lol) aren't about lessons or particular shots or scores, they are memories of all sorts of different experiences and little things I remember about particular days and the time spent together.

But that's just me, and I mean that.

If a kid seems to have potential at 5 and likes to golf then maybe it makes sense to do more formal instructions.

some kids will love golf more and others well they may not. All anyone can do on a forum like this is give advice for an average 5 year old.

Also anyone who has a kid with Talent or thinks they do needs to put things into perspective. If you truly think your kid is great do you want to travel on the road for 14 years spending money the whole time or 2 or 3 years when they are older.

Winning US Kids Worlds is great but it does’t earn you a tour card and that is a long way off to even get a chance at it.

I appreciate your back and forth. I do like seeing other people’s opinions and there take on where and when kids should start. But, If my kid was just a kid that wanted to wack the ball around with me and just enjoyed getting out there, I wouldn’t have asked this question. He wakes up and he wants to go outside, putting green in the back yard, and play. After that he wants to actually go play. At night before bed he wants to talk about how he can do better and what he can work on. He wants to win his tournaments.

Im not trying to drive home getting him a coach, I’m just saying I understand your opinion, but like others have said, i don’t think you can put all kids into the same category.

Just let him have fun...take it from someone who has been in the same position and watched an amazing Jr. talent burn out at an early age. My son is just now picking them up again (after about a 2 year hiatus - he's now a Soph. in college) and let me know last night that he is actually starting to enjoy playing golf again. As a Jr./Sr. in HS, he had 9 offers to play D1 golf and he wanted nothing to do with it.

Take him to the range, tell him to work on hitting it as far as he possibly can (you can't teach length) and that you'll get someone to teach him how to hit it straight later.

Spend 80% of his and your time around the green instead of on the tee. Not only will he get better, so will you!