2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Any golf course closures across the country due to the COVID-19 pandemic? Doing some research...

[MOD EDIT] Keep responses golf related and on topic. No politics, Coronavirus discussions, ... Otherwise, we will be force to shut this down.

Hey all in WRX land!

I am a PGA Professional at a 9-Hole municipal golf course in MN. With everything that has been developing, basically at light speed, for this COVID-19 pandemic, it is very difficult to get any good/real information. Since a lot of you are probably self isolating due to the pandemic, you probably have some time to help me out!

I am doing some very informal research for my Board of Directors on what is going on out in the world, outside the bubble that is my golf course. My question is this.... How many, if any, golf courses have either temporarily closed, or have decided to delay opening for the season, because of this COVID-19 pandemic? (I know that some of the public courses in the Chicago area have closed, because of the pandemic, and the bars and restaurants have also closed to in-house dining, relying on take out.)

My take on things is that golf is actually a great distraction and activity during all of these times. It helps with some social separation (to a degree), gives some fresh air to people playing, and some sun! All that being said, for those courses which ARE still open, what are you doing, or have seen done, at those respective courses in regards to how golf carts are handled? Pro Shop counter for check-in, food service, drink service, etc... etc... etc...

Any help (constructive help) will be, and is, greatly appreciated on this subject.

These are very unforeseen times! Be safe, prudent, and very careful!!

Thanks in advance!!

I agree on your take.

Our club just closed today. Only one I know of (so far) in our area. There is a lot of maintenance scheduled over the next week and I think that factored in more than health concerns of members/staff since workers will still be out there in force.

Over the past week or so they were suggesting you walk, and if you took a cart or push cart, someone throughly cleaned it. All employees were wearing gloves.

They’re considering allowing members to start walking again around mid next week.

Milwaukee County closed them all just now. Then again, we only had a few recently open with the weather still being iffy.

TaylorMade r5 Dual TP 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 83 R
TaylorMade R7 TP 15* w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 80 S
TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP 19* w/ Fujikura Motore F3 80 HB S
TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP 22* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana H S
Titleist 735 CM 4 - PW with UST ProForce 115 RV2 Gold Tour R 
MacGregor MT Pro Gunmetal DW design 54* and 58* w/ DG S300
MacGregor Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings w/ BeCu insert

My club up here in Rochester, NY just closed the clubhouse, bar, and locker room. But the golf course is opening today. They're allowing walking, and asking that everyone leave the flag in when putting. They also indicated they'll be wiping down the flag sticks each day.

Though with it still being cold most days up here in NY, I don't think the course will get a lot of play just yet.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

In Michigan, there was some initial confusion over closure of golf courses, but after some discussion, I believe course will remain open without food/beverage/or club amenities available. Golf "clubs" seem to have been initially categorized in with bars/restaurants. I had received some notifications golf course in the local area were closing, but then later received info that they would be open with minimal staff and restrictions on congregating in the club houses.

Edit: Southeast Michigan area.

Ballantrae in Pelham, AL is closed per the email I got from them.

I am curious if the state park courses will close. In KY a good deal of the state parks are on ground leased from the Corps of Engineers surrounding flood control lakes. Louisville district announced closures of a bunch of facilities yesterday that at first included boat ramps. The rescinded that however.

My club staying open but lot of restrictions are in place. In SW Missouri.

PM'ing you with a copy of my club's notice.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I'm in the Phoenix area. I'm probably on the email lists for 30+ public courses, and haven't received any notifications of closings yet. I've played every day since last Friday and will be playing later today. A few courses I frequent have closed their F&B operations and have asked people to avoid lingering around inside the clubhouse/pro shop.

Closed courses in Colorado

City of Denver - 7 golf courses

City of Westminster - 2 golf courses

South Suburban Parks & Recreation - 4 golf courses

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I'm in the SF bay area. Basically everything is locked down, so my guess is all courses are closed in the area. I know mine is. They say they are going to keep it in shape over the next few weeks while it is close, I sure hope so. I literally just got a new set of irons, was really hoping to be able to play during the shut down..At least other outdoor activities (hiking/biking) are ok. No skiing out here either.

In the Grand Strand area of SC I have not heard of any course closings public or private. i know at my course yesterday I talked with a group of folks that had flew in from all over for a reunion. They had flown in from NY State and Florida and a couple from Maryland. Basically yesterday we had all services food and beverage wise etc.. Even though I am semi retired I did work today but it has poured down rain in Biblical proportions so I have heard nothing.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. In Minnesota, our Governor put forth an Exec. Order that in part closed our golf courses in the state, basically keeping those who did not open closed, and supposed to close the ones who have already opened. There are some who are defying the Exec Order, and others who are allowing play with minimal contact, perhaps one cart per person instead of two riders, having patrons swipe their own cards, having online paying of green fees and having someone meet them outside with a receipt, lots of different things. Problem is, there are 1000 points of contact that people can have with each other and with staff, which is why they closed them with the Exec Order. However, being outside is the best thing one can do at this point. Some courses are allowing tee times every 10 or 15 minutes, instead of every 7 or 8, They have hole liners raised an inch above the green surface so players do not have to touch the flag or the hole when reaching for their ball. They are also taking in bunker rakes and all ball washers. Problem is, there are numerous courses who have many different technological capabilities, so those who do not have a good online presence are in more of a disadvantage than those who are on the technical cutting edge.

Hopefully, our Governor allows play soon, because we can make some adjustments that are temporary and helpful of the situation. If it lasts too long, then golf will take a big hit, at least in these parts. We are also hopeful that once we do get to open, everyone will be so energetic to get out and play we will get swamped! That would be a nice problem to have.

Again, keep the replies coming.

Courses allegedly defying an Executive Order from the Governor need to be reported and enforcement measures taken ASAP. Very irresponsible and just makes it tougher for anyone else in any business where business, including golf courses, have an absolute obligation to follow the law, especially under these circumstances. IMO, golf courses in general will pay a higher price if it is discovered the government's directives are actively being ignored -- stupidity in your industry that all of you have an interest in stopping and stopping quickly.

Gathering info a great idea, but if it is to be useful - and I'm assuming useful because you want in part to lobby or be involved in coming up with guidelines so that the Governor might consider opening courses again (and just for the safety of those who use your course) - it has to be in the context of working through the system.

Bad look for all of you - responsible course owners need to be working NOW to make sure the industry is in compliance.

Minnesota? Shouldn't there be 12' of snow on the ground up there? Guys and gals should be snowshoeing!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

To the best of my understanding the Corona virus is not going to be stopped at this point. The best we can do is to slow down the rate of infection in order to prevent our medical system from being overwhelmed which would cause unnecessary deaths due to sick people not being able to get care such as ventilators and so on. This has happened in other countries particularly in Northern Italy.

We are under shelter in place order in Santa Cruz County and all of our local courses are closed down. One stayed open for an extra day but is closed now. I am not sure what happened there. I understand and agree with the shutting down of the courses as even though the odds of transmission would seem to be fairly low it could still happen. What I don't understand is why I am still able to go shop at Target or Safeway where the odds of transmission would seem to be much higher then the golf course. I am nearly 65 years old and it is certainly possible that I could have been in contact with this virus on several occasions and though I have no symptoms right now I could die from it soon I don't know. I could also be part of the 80% or more who will be basically unaffected even if exposed. I will say that I am certainly not going to do anything that might endanger others and I hope that everyone here will do the same.

• Like 1

Anyone (more-so golf professionals and/or owners) out there who have a Coronavirus COVID-19 Policy set of Rules they have posted, or will have posted, once the courses get open again? I have one started, but I would like to make sure I am not missing anything, or can have some ideas I may not be thinking of once we can play again.

You can PM me.

Thanks in advance!!

Stay prudent. Stay safe! Wash your hands!!

• Like 1

b'ham, alabama ... i have a monthly membership at the rtj site, oxmoor valley ... course is open ... rakes/water coolers/ball washers removed ... carts still in use for twosomes (would think that will change in the future, but i'm split on that) ... dining room closed, takeout only ... posted info on the door to the pro shop are basic reminders of social distancing & what the club is doing, subject to further notice ... all employees are wearing gloves ... no other restrictions i know of, though the guv just closed the beaches (which should've been done last week, for frick's sake) ... not sure about private courses ... course has been rather busy ... i've played 9 holes a few times this week; plenty of cars in the pl ... played with someone down from nw minnesota waiting on a large piece of equipment from peterson tractors (dude will have to drive to north dakota over the weekend) ... probably several midwesterners down here as there's been a lot of traffic going to the beaches (again, should've been done at least on monday) ... i am not one who thinks this thing is overblown, and i think it will be a struggle to get past this since many americans by and large just don't "get it" (my opinion; don't feel like arguing; knock yourself out if you want to correct me), but golf is a unique situation in that you can enjoy a walk without any contact at all, while chasing a little ball ... literally, the only maintenance needed is mowing the greens ... the pro shop guys/girls could check people in using some type of restrictions ... the only cross contact that occurs is when they tear the receipt out of the machine and slide it across the counter, which could be easily left to the customer to do ... quite a few "bag boys" dealing with carts and getting clubs out, which could be eliminated easily ... don't think they'd make it walking only, but it wouldn't bother me ... i think a lot of courses will close and then rethink (at least i hope they do) ... as said earlier, it's a unique situation with golf, which should be exploited ...