2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Playing in the time of Corona Virus

Read this somewhere. If you are playing:

don't touch the flagstickdon't touch the rakeswalk or ride solo if ridinguse credit card instead of cashavoid the 19th holeavoid snack bar - bring your own snacksno handshakes and elbow bumpsmaintain a safe distance with other playersAnything else?

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5* Driver
Taylor Made Stealth 2 16.5* Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids 21* & 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

Thinking about playing but honestly a little too freaked out about this whole situation at the moment. Might get out with some friends this weekend and play but not sure. I've seen all the items listed above, which make sense, plus the raised cup liner and also do not hit anything out of the bunkers (drop outside) and try to minimize touching anything too.

Very scary situation overall.

I agree with you. I've kind of freaked myself out a bit too much I think.

It is generally scary and it isn't at the same time, it's hard for me to put it to words which is why this is going to be long. We really shouldn't be going out right now to limit the spread as much as possible until the health care system catches itself up. This isn't going to go away anytime soon until a vaccine or some sort of drug is able to mitigate the symptoms. There's so many people out that are taking this such in stride when there are instances of healthy people well under "old age" passing away from this. I'm also scared more about the "what if" aspect, like do I already have it and don't know? I'm in the mystical carrier group of under 40s who apparently are the highest proportion of people who have it...but we don't know because we are usually asymptomatic or exhibit quite limited symptoms that are barely even acknowledged. I've read that almost all the children who tested positive had a runny nose, headache, sore throat but seemed to avoid the pneumonia/influenza aspect of it with the cough and fever. I've had what I believe to be a cold for a week now...but am I asymptomatic and don't realize it as I have next to no cough, fever, or general "flu-like" symptoms apart from a semi-persistent headache, a goopy throat at times, and the odd runny nose? So that is the unscary part to me because I am doing my absolute best to socially isolate with being home, only grocery shopping when necessary, and not touch my face and wash my hands with hand sanitzer as soon as I get back in the car and the re-wash my hands when I get home with soap and water. Yet at some point I have to go out, which is the scary part, because are people taking this as seriously as I am or is most of the world taking it in stride as it seems by how busy EVERYWHERE is when I need to go get something. The other unscary part is if I do have it, then at least for me it is relatively mild (as are the vast majority of cases), and I will have some sort of immunity to it until next year likely when a vaccine/drug is available.

However, the scariest part for me is I commute to school/work on public transit and my girlfriend works in a hospital where not every patient is mask-worthy yet. I very well could have this right now and have no idea and I am so low on the list of priority to check I will likely never know. I live with my older parents part time and with my girlfriend part time. My parents are getting back into Canada from California tomorrow from my sister's wedding (someone had to watch the dog!), and my mom is presenting the same stuff I am. Absolutely zero fever/chills, a slightly drippy nose, and the occasional dry cough...but she's had that since Christmas. But is this maybe something new and she was "better" before? I have tried to contact the health department many times in the past little while to no avail, nobody calls me back, and the doctor recommendation is to just "keep an eye on it". I know the instances of death and serious intervention are low, but my mom has diabetes and underlying respiratory issues (sleep apnea and a very bad bronchial attack as a kid leaves her short of breath to this day at times)...but everyone is nonchalant about it...only call if you have the cough/fever. That could be the point of no return for her.

I'm also worried that a good portion of North America's attitude about this (more than 30% not isolating at all) is going to lead to a powder keg bigger than China and Italy combined because of that "invincible" attitude we tend to possess. That is all, thanks for reading and thanks for isolating. The vulnerable thank you.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I don’t disagree with anything you said. However, I’d like to thank you for making me scared of something more than COVID- your long paragraphs.

Just kidding. Best of luck out there. I’m a diabetic who loves golf, but there’s a chance I take the entire season off if this thing is still raging throughout the year.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Here is how a course in Western PA is handling it. This started today. Appears this may have already ended. :(Butler’s Introduces ‘No Touch’ Service for Golf

Attention Golfers,

On Monday we announced our course closure at the recommendation of the Allegheny Health Department with the intent to investigate a ‘no-touch’ service approach to provide golfing opportunities. Being an outdoor sport, golf inherently provides an opportunity to get out of the house and safely participate in an activity while following the guidelines of social distancing. We would like to introduce you to our new procedures that will allow for limited golf at Butler’s beginning tomorrow, Thursday, March 19th.

Golfers will be permitted to make tee times by phone at 412-751-9121 x-2 but will be required to pre-pay for the time using a credit card or Butler’s Gift Card. Different golfers in the group may call at different times if necessary. Butler’s will NOT fill a foursome with other individuals if you have less than four golfers. The entire tee time will be reserved for you, even if you are only one golfer. Birdie passes may be renewed at the time of the call if you haven’t already done so for the season.

Upon arriving at the course you will find carts provided for you with keys in them, already properly disinfected prior to use. Take whichever cart(s) you would like and head to the appropriate first tee for your starting time. A starter (keeping their distance) will be available to make sure golfers tee off in the appropriate order. Should there be a member of the group who has not yet paid they will be instructed to call the golf shop with credit card payment from the tee. Groups will be limited to four golfers and are instructed to keep their distance from each other throughout the round. As a friendly reminder, the rules of golf allow the flagstick to be left in the hole so there is no reason to touch it.

Playing golf in this way allows for the freedom of enjoying this great outdoor activity without ever coming in contact with a staff member or anyone you are not comfortable playing with! We will, however, be providing other limited services if needed. One set of restrooms will be operational, those adjacent to the downstairs pro shop. They will be repeatedly disinfected throughout the day. Takeout service will be available in the restaurant from 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM for food & beverage needs but no congregating in the area will be permitted. Food orders can be prepaid by phone and this service area will be vigorously disinfected throughout the day. Finally, limited merchandise is available with ‘no-touch’ sales accommodations whenever possible.

We are taking this procedure and your health very seriously. We are happy to be able to provide the opportunity for some normalcy during these trying times while following guidelines set forth by health and government officials. If you are comfortable visiting us, we are comfortable serving you. Please note that no staff member will be present who isn’t completely comfortable doing so.

As a reminder, The Loft will remain closed and dine-in restaurant service will not be available until further notice. The Irish Open has been rescheduled for Saturday, April 18th and Date Night on March 20th has been canceled. Thank you for your understanding as we navigate the challenges before us. We will inform you if our operational plans change due to potential upcoming restrictions. Stay healthy!

The Butler’s Team

• Like 1

Most of our local courses have closed their snack bars, pro shops, beverage carts, and locker rooms. I'm hoping to play tomorrow afternoon since I plan to walk and play alone. The only thing I'd really have to touch is the bottom of the flagstick when I'm getting my ball out of the hole. I could go the extra step of using a plastic practice-hole and laying it out near the hole as my own personal hole but that just feels like overkill.

Last Saturday I played alone for 15 holes and ran into a backup on the par 3 16th hole. There was a 3some in front of me who invited me to play along for the last 3 holes and I didn't turn down their invite (even shook hands !!!AGHHHH!!!). On the way home I decided that if I intend on continuing playing, I can't be worried about seeming anti-social... right now being anti-social is completely justified.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I’ll be peeved if they shutdown golf course. Good grief....being outside with three other people max?

and I guess I can’t tee up a range ball.....it might have the corona......

how about the gubbermint let me decide if I want to risk being outside in a group of four people staying at least 100 yards away from other groups of four people.

Mizuno MP-20’s

Ping G-410

My guess is courses are gonna shut down in CA now. Bummer.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Gotta smoke personals. My pal likes the flag out so he yanks it out and puts it back in. But were just blue collar folk were all still going to work everyday sharing our shops with alot of other guys, sharing our lunchroom/locker room ect.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

My home course is still open for walking golf only, and are asking that we leave the flag stick in. My wife and I usually walk with a motorized push cart anyways. I'm not doctor, but I would think it would be ok to be out in the open air with just a couple other people. Especially if it's my wife, with whom I am working from home with on a daily basis anyways.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Some of us do not have the luxury of self quarantining ourselves. We don’t work, we don’t eat or get to pay our mortgages, etc. I wish we could all stay home locked up for a month, but the realistic side of it is that even if we did that, it would still be a problem at the end of the month when we all come out of lock down mode. This needs to run it’s course just like every other virus in our human existence has. Yes, I agree I do not want to give it to anyone else were I to get it myself, but I already practice social distancing and have for a few years... the older I get, the less I like people and the more I like my dogs. Golf for me right now is a stress reliever and an outlet. Without it, I don’t know what I would do, so I will continue to play as much as I can with the restrictions in place...

• Like 1

For what it's worth, from the UK:

Sir Patrick has responded to a health select committee question about playing golf during the coronavirus crisis by effectively saying it is an activity that is allowable.

Sir Patrick Vallance said: It is OK if you keep a distance.

The question was put forward by Dean Russell MP. He asked: Exercise is going to be key [especially for older people]. If someone wants to play golf, can they still do that if theyre not close together?

Sir Patrick Vallance stated: Were not asking everyone to be completely isolated. The specific advice is to avoid close contact. A walk is OK if you keep a distance.

And: Golf Clubs & Golfers (COVID-19) Updates - England GolfHopefully it stays that way.

Sorry, I'm confused. You don't have the luxury of self-quarantining? What does that even mean? This is not a "now" vs. "then" problem. The issue is slowing the infection rate down considerably so the hospitals have a fighting chance at getting this under control to a reasonable level so if it does get to critical mass, they are prepared. Right now the number of reported serious cases (i.e. the ones who are sick enough and get tested for it) doubles every 2-3 days. There are likely 10x as many real cases as that in the wild at any given time. Most will get off with this with very minor inconveniences: a slight cough, a runny nose, maybe a headache, maybe a very mild fever. Others it goes from 0-100 really fast with almost no symptoms (a feeling of unwell) to a bone rattling cough and shortness of breath so severe you are dead within a few days or at the very least, require extreme medical intervention to get out of this on the other side. Italy being an extreme case is seeing roughly 5000 new cases daily, and just shy of 10% of those are resulting in death. We've already crested the 10,500 person death threshold in a span of under 3 months when H1N1 didn't even hit 20,000 deaths in a year. The U.S. is a ticking time bomb right now. The virus is quite literally everywhere right now but the number of serious cases hasn't gotten to critical mass yet.

So here is where the "lockdown" is actually going to work. Let's assume the U.S. number is accurate at ~15,000 serious-enough-to-be-tested cases, then the real wild number is likely closer to 150,000. If we (as in North America as I don't live in the U.S.) lock down effectively enough for 3 weeks, guess what, that's about it. There will obviously be some sort of novel cases here and there because Uncle Bob's mechanic's nephew was asymptomatic and didn't listen and went backpacking through Germany at the end of April and give it to about 5% of the people on the plane coming back. But that is manageable. 10 new "serious" cases is nothing compared to the reports of 30% of the U.S. population not "believing" this is serious and ignoring the lockdown mandates. That means by Friday next week you guys will have 360,000 cases and roughly 3000 deaths...in a week! Then we double that every couple of days so by April 3rd when the lockdown is supposed to lift will be ~86,000 deaths at the current trajectory in the U.S. alone. Sure a drop in the bucket compared to your ~330 million people, but of those well over 1 million still have a mild case of the illness and are capable of spreading it further while being none the wiser. Remember this is an organic thing, it reproduces and mutates every time it reproduces, potentially creating novel strains. But if you lockdown effectively enough that can seriously minimize the number of cases (cutting it down a full order of magnitude or more), and seems to be working/have worked very well for China.

So to round it back, yes you absolutely have the luxury of self-quarantining to a degree. You can choose to not play golf for a few weeks and be bored at home like the rest of us in case you are a carrier and not go out to eat/to the grocery store as often where you have the chance of inadvertently giving it to someone else. Or worse, as you seem to indicate you are older, contracting the virus and getting very, very ill and spreading it as it sounds like you might live in some sort of apartment/community based on your first couple of comments.

Hopefully it doesn't get to this level but the Spanish Flu wasn't even 100 years ago and it wiped out close to 100 million people. It too was just "a little flu". I really hope my numbers come out to be very extreme but everyone who I have talked to as I have many friends and family who work in the health fields and they are all extremely worried about what is coming.

Source: https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_Warner/the-sober-math-everyone-must-understand-about-the-pandemic-2b0145881993

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

i have played a few times...maintain healthy distance from other players (20 feet for no other reason than it sounds good). Solo is best obviously.

this obviously is not a virus to play with..so not really sure. we will see.

on other hand..load yourself with vitamins, C (1k grams or higher) D, Zinc, Selenium...daily

preprobiotic for immunity .

Exercise.

avoid eating/doing anything that could make you sick

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

My old home state of Washington with all that has happened there is NOT closing courses. It is on the list of Allowed activities during the shutdowns. Good on yer WA. :-)

Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Red 65 
Titleist 975F PX Evenflow Black

Titleist 620 MB 6-PW 
Titleist 620 CB 4,5
Nickent 3DX 17
Callaway Forged +52 and 56
Ping Anser 4

Yeah, I have to work to feed my family and pay my bills. No one else is going to do that for me. As for playing golf, I will continue to play until they arrest me for it. I choose to do it, and not be swayed by an over zealous media who is creating food and paper good shortages with their reckless display of panic inducing coverage. So, I guess what I am saying is if I still have to go to work and the government hasn’t shut my construction sites down, I am going to continue to play golf. Why would going to work be more ok than playing golf where I am close to a significant less number of people? And before you say I have no idea what I am talking about, my wife is in the medical healthcare field on the front lines and is not able to stay home either. This virus will be like all the others before it, a lot of people will get it, some will die, but most will live...