Hybrid instead of 3wood??????

Jnardelean19

At my recent fitting we decided to go with a Ping 410 hybrid turned down to 15.5 of loft due to my struggle to hit three woods because of how steep I am and how much I spin the ball. Has anyone else done this in their bag and what have the results been? I had started playing a hybrid between my 4 iron and 3 wood that slowly became my favorite club in the bag so I am thinking this is going to turn out well. I ended up with 2 PING G 410 hybrids one down to 15.5 and one at 19 degrees that is .5 inch short.

Had the same setup. G410 turned down to 15.5. I hit it really well. But i missed my 3w. Just love a pure 3w.

3w fits my gap a bit better

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I dropped my 3 wood in favor of a Rogue 18 degree 3 hybrid with aeorotech hls980 shaft. I carry the hybrid around 210 yards on Skytrak which is not much shorter then my 3 wood and I hit it a lot more consistently. I play a rather tight course and there are a number of holes where I hit the 3 hybrid off the tee with good result.

What is the distance gap between your driver and the hybrid set at 15.5*?

Do you have control problems with the 3W? Could you make a set-up adjustment to cut down on steepness of your attack angle? Or, maybe shift from a 3W, to a 4W or 5W to get better launch?

Also, how often do you have use for a 3W? My pro says longer-hitting pros and competition amateurs may only hit a FW off the deck once a round.

Along this line, our club sometimes hosts the Players Ability Test for assistant pros seeking their PGA card. One day the starter paired me with a young assistant practicing for his PAT. He carried a driver, 2H and 4H, and had plenty of range with them to get home in two on our shorter par 5 holes.

If you can get by without a 3W, OK. But if you need a FW to bridge driver and hybrid distance, that's another thing.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I plan on doing this exact thing this season and for the same reason. I'm too steep with the long 3 wood and shallowing out the swing is much easier said than done. I don't exactly struggle with distance so I'll be fine minus the 3 wood. It'll really only be used for tight par fours and to chase one up the fairway on par fives, effectively the same reasons anyone would use a 3 wood, just more......effectively lol.

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Vokey SM9 - 52º - 56º - 60º

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

I could not hit a 3 wood consistently, so I switched to a 5 wood. This failed as well - just too long for me and you can only use this on perfect lies or off the deck.

This is my 2020 set up:

-Driver 9* 240 yards carry

-17* hybrid 220 yards carry

-22* hybrid 205 yards carry

-24* 4 iron 195 yards carry

I'm probably not getting the proper distance with each loft, but it works for now.

The 17* hybrid is still difficult to hit (flight is way too low and low spin) but way more consistent than my 3/5 wood in terms of dispersion. My fitter advised against the 17* hybrid at PXG, but I ignored him and ordered it. Regretting it a bit now as it goes the similar distance as the 19* I tested but the 19* had height. Practice will make it better.

I'm even considering switching the 4 iron to a 25* hybrid because the 4 iron is not consistent enough for me to trust it on the course.

SRixon H65 16* #2 hybrid replaced my 3-wood. The hybrid has a shorter shaft so it's easier to hit straight, and also easier to play off less than ideal lies. Distance difference for me is minimal, maybe 15 to 20 yards from the tee box and about 10 yards from a ground lie. I much prefer the accuracy of the H65 16 #2 hybrid.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I haven't carried a 3w consistently in my bag in ages, I went from a driver to a 2i, then migrated to a 2h. I never feel the need to have anything between the driver and my 2h on the courses I play and for my game.

If you're curious, drop the 3w for a few rounds and see how/if you need to change your course management.

Driver is 285 carry but I am very straight with driver and can "Bunt" a driver 260-275 just by choking up a bit very consistently. My home course is a old CC that is short so i very rarely hit 3 wood. The strong hybrid is flying about 250 with roll out to 265 and I can deloft it to 270-75 if needed. other hybrid is 225-235.

Sounds like you can get by without a FW.

(Of note, you hit your strong hybrid longer than I can hit my driver. Congrats! Possibly a good scramble team...)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I'm thinking of dropping both my 3W and Hybrid, for sure the hybrid is getting the heave ho. I can't hit a hybrid to save my life, I don't understand how it's easier.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I had the same or similar problem with hybrids over the years I could hit them far but not consistently or on line. I hit a lot of long shots (for me) way off line which is generally worse then a missed straight and short shot. Then I re-shafted a rogue 4 hybrid that I was ready to ditch with a steelfiber HLS 980 and like magic it became my favorite club. Since then I have put a 3 hybrid in my bag and I even replaced my 5 iron with a 5 hybrid. All are used from Callaway preowned, I don't buy much new stuff. I love all three of them. I hit each one before the re-shaft and they all were not good. Got really lucky on the 4 hybrid getting the length just right on the first try. The other two I had to tune a bit.

So maybe a different shaft would help?

I ditched the 3 wood over a year ago. My strikes were a bit inconsistent and mentally I’d look for a reason not to hit it. My hybrid on the other hand was money from any lie.

I went to:

16* Srixon H45

19* Srixon H45

I can hit them high or low, fade or draw. I bought an H85 to test and it’s solid as well, more forgiving I think, but the H45 seems more workable and I carve my hybrids on a couple tees at my club.

Actually picked up a 22* to test, but I use my 4 iron off a couple tees and it is consistently good so I don’t see that making it in the bag.

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 5-PW: Recoil 95 (HS + lead tape)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58: Recoil 110
Rife Cayman (+tungsten powder)
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

I'm gonna let the fitter tinker with my 19° when I go in for a fitting, I'm thinking I need heavier shaft wise and flatter loft wise. But I'm thinking of dropping it for a 3i which I hit way better and further.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I struggle with long irons and 3 woods because of how steep I am so the hybrids are perfect. I am excited for them. I actually ended up with a CLK 16 degree and G410 19degree. I am going to move the 16 degree down to 15 or 14 as long as it doesn't create too big of a gap was hitting the 14 degree at my fitting 275 total.

Do any of you struggle with hooking the hybrids? I’ve always found more control with a strong 3 iron than a hybrid. Looking at a U500 or 510 2 or 1 iron.

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

It really depends on course setup too. I was a member at a course once where you could hit driver on most par 4's and 5's, and the Par 5's were reachable with less than hybrid , or totally unreachable. So the entire time i was there i never used a 3 wood, always had a 16-17 degree hybrid that was a lot more versatile

At my course now i have a lot of doglegs that require 3 woods, and par 5's i need 3 wood to reach.

I've done both, overall if i dont know a course, i prefer to go in with 3 wood. I hate not being able to reach things i could otherwise reach

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Yes. You just have to be careful and test them. I have bought some online that were hook machines.

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 5-PW: Recoil 95 (HS + lead tape)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58: Recoil 110
Rife Cayman (+tungsten powder)
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Yes, I noticed the hook tendency with a number of hybrids that I tried in the past before my current setup. I would hook the hybrids a lot more then my driver, fairway wood or irons. I believe that a lot of hybrids are setup with a hook bias to counteract a slice swing. Maybe if the rest of the clubs had the same bias then the set would work okay.

"I believe that a lot of hybrids are setup with a hook bias to counteract a slice swing"

THIS (is true). Just as most iron models are some sort of GI/CB, same goes for the hybrids.

One has to remember the reasons for developing hybrids. Higher handicappers. They couldn't hit long irons so the hybrids were made primarily(?) to be more forgiving. Along with that, higher handicappers tend to slice the ball hence most of them are also draw biased. Most of them are also made to flight the ball a bit higher, something typical that a large percentage of higher handicappers need.

There ARE better players, or at least lower handicappers, that use hybrids and there are some of them that do NOT launch "higher", nor are they draw biased. And with the newer hybrids you will find some that are adjustable for some of these different characteristics. You just have to look for 'em.

An older example is my Adams A12 Pro from 2012(?) - no fade or draw bias, no added height. Adams also made versions for higher 'caps as well.

A recent example is the previous version Titleist's H1 & H2, H1 being the higher capper's model and H2 being the "player's" model, both adjustable as well.

Today's Ping 410 are adjustable and they may be a good choice too.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Interesting thread... I feel like I've been looking, unsuccessfully, for a 3W for a while now and in the meantime have been using a Titleist H1 17* adjusted down to the 16.25* minimum. This fits nicely with my 19* & 23* H2s.

Like most of us, the mental side makes a huge difference and I feel very confident with the H1 and don't see much difference distance-wise against the various 3Ws tried.

My 5 wood is basically a massive hybrid. 18 degree. 80g shaft. 40.75” long adjusted back to D3 swing weight and upright by 1 degree. Love it! Can’t see why someone couldn’t do the same with a 3 wood providing they can easily adjust the lie and swing weight.

I feel I have the best of both worlds.

Problem with that Herts is because of how steep and down I hit on it that is not a good option with a wood head! That is why the Hybrid is the better option. Also with the hook comments I was told by my fitter that most people feel the hook tendencies of a hybrid not because they are designed to hook but because they are much more upright then a FW. This sets people up to hit pull-draws which in turn look like hooks. I have never had a right to left ball flight and have never had a problem hitting right to left shots with a hybrid my stock shots are straight or little cuts unless I want to draw it.