New Urethane balls for $25dz!!!

Wizzard330 ·  
Wizzard330Wizzard330 Members  8WRX Points: 10Posts: 8 Bunkers

Anyone else happen to see the new balls at Walmart? Spalding SD Tour! My curiosity got the best of me and I thought for $25 it’s worth a shot. It’s a three piece urethane ball. So far tried the chip & putt route in living room. Not gonna lie, feels great! Oh and it’s 85 compression and the X version is 90 compression I believe. At least worth a shot 🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted:

Comments

• ode1ode1 Members  3050WRX Points: 229Posts: 3,050 Titanium Tees

Pics?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJMembers  1111WRX Points: 288Handicap: 4Posts: 1,111 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJMembers  1111WRX Points: 288Handicap: 4Posts: 1,111 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members  3809WRX Points: 407Handicap: 6Posts: 3,809 Titanium Tees

Another ball from Dycks?

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 13.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Cobra F8 5-6 wood 17.5, Tensei Blue R
    Mizuno CLK 22*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
    Ping i25 5-PW, TFC 189 R
    Cobra MIM forged 50*, KBS Hi Rev 125 S
    Ping Glide 1.0 54.5*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Eye2+ SW, 57.5*, KTM S
    Super Stroke Soft Wrap Midsize Red Grips
    Ping TR Pal, 35"
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2625WRX Points: 1,230Posts: 2,625 Titanium Tees

Are there other low-cost urethane balls?

Posted:
  • J13J13 Dad golf MarylandMembers  16233WRX Points: 1,238Handicap: +1.6Posts: 16,233 Titanium Tees

Or you could buy Srixon Zstar's right now for $25 a dozen and that's a ball played on tour.

Posted:
    Driver - Under construction
    Fairway wood - Under construction
    Irons - Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Wedges - Callaway MD5 50S, 54S, MD4 60C
    Odyssey Versa 6
    Srixon Zstar XV

WITB & Content - 
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1108083/j13s-witb-2020-irons-podcast-pics-added-pg-101/p1

Instagram-
    On -, @Jminis13

Advertisement
  • butterysnaphookbutterysnaphook Members  64WRX Points: 116Handicap: 1.4Posts: 64 Bunkers

Someone with a YouTube channel should review them and cut some open to check out the insides. It would definitely make its money back in views.

Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto Members  3691WRX Points: 290Posts: 3,691 Titanium Tees

Wasn't Spalding purchased by Callaway years ago?

Posted:
  • daleheaddalehead Members  1848WRX Points: 552Posts: 1,848 Platinum Tees

Reliable of Milwaukee? Who are they? Made in Vietnam Nam.

Posted:
  • storm319storm319 USMembers  4222WRX Points: 448Posts: 4,222 Titanium Tees

Spalding's golf business (Top Flite, Strata, Ben Hogan) was purchased by Callaway when they were in bankruptcy in 2003 (this is basically how Callaway built their current ball business) and the rest of Spalding was purchased by Russell. The Reliable of Milwaukee (owner of Nitro) contact info on the back leads me to believe that they are licensing the Spalding name to put on an off the shelf 3-piece TPU ball produced by a 3rd party factory that they already have a relationship with.

Posted:

They own the Nitro, Golf Balls Direct, and Tour2 refurbished/recycled brands (among other non-golf related brands). As for what factory is producing these in Vietnam, no idea but safe to say it is independent of this company.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members  2503WRX Points: 267Posts: 2,503 Titanium Tees

TPU .. nah.

spend $3-4 more and get cast urethane. or like someone else said, Z star.

Posted:
  • Wizzard330Wizzard330 Members  8WRX Points: 10Posts: 8 Bunkers
    Posted:

So played with these yesterday and not bad. It’s early in the year so kind of hard to tell yet. Need warmer temps and firm greens to really tell. Soft feeling but not too soft! Checked great but again softer greens here in Ohio. Hole 18 is a long par 5 over water , 3rd shot I was 135 out and stepped on a wedge to a pin top part of elevated green pin hi that stopped dead! One green earlier in round I backed up a good 5 - 6 ft. Again for $25 this ball played pretty well to me. Hard to tell driver distance because that wasn’t very good , but irons seemed dead on to me as just about any other premium. Need more testing tho to really see.

Posted:

I think he was referring to the recent B2G1 promo that Srixon was running globally (2x$40=$80/3=$26.67 / dozen).

If the focus is on price, then Costco's Kirkland Performance+ @ $25 / 2 dozen or acting fast on what is left of DSG Top Flite Gamer Urethane @ $11 / dozen are better options for multilayer urethane. For cast thermoplastic urethane, the DSG Maxfli Tour line at $50 / 2 dozen is probably the best widely available option. Of course you can be like a few around here and simply jump on any deal you can find for a major OEM flagship prior generation offering (I picked up 5 dozen Z Stars at Walmart last year for $7 / dozen brand new).

Posted:

Never cared for the Gamer urethane or the second batch Kirklands. Do like the Maxfli tour line tho and have some. I am fortunate enough that I can purchase any brand. It was just a curiosity thing that I wanted to give em a shot. I’m a single digit and mid summer I’ll be playing Tour B or Tp5x balls. Guess I’m a ball hoe lol.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • retrogolfer36retrogolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers  265WRX Points: 167Handicap: 10Posts: 265 Greens

Spalding. I like it. Another classic brand that is back. FWIW, you can also get Maxfli Tours at GG/DSG for $25 a dozen if you buy 2 dozen.

Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  12742WRX Points: 3,524Handicap: 5.0Posts: 12,742 Titanium Tees

What is funny is the fact one of my shootout partners purchased some from Wal Mart Friday---- He used them Saturday and was longer and straighter off the driver with them. Now a far as hitting greens and spinning that is not part of his game yet. He said he liked the feel in fact as the round finished he said he was going to buy some more. He also hit some beautiful flighted hybrid shots with them too. I think they did well for his game and he is more than likely a 18 hdcp or so

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special
    LW Wilson Harmonized 60 Stock TT shaft
    Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace MK5 Tour Issue
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

Ok played 18 again today with these exclusively. Finally driver was cooperating and the distance was great! I’m beginning to be really impressed with these. If these play like I think they will I may have a new ball to mess around with this year.

Posted:
  • Twism86Twism86 Members  494WRX Points: 108Posts: 494 Greens

Probably no need to mark your ball either! Im always checking creeks and bushes for practice balls and havent come across any Spaldings!

Posted:
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges

Lol right! I’m even a little embarrassed haha. But seriously if you could hide Spalding and let someone play 18 hole they would walk away impressed. I’m actually shocked it plays that well for me

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.