eBay buyer won auction, Immediately requested cancellation

pollock21

First bad ebay experience in a long time. Was selling a shaft on a 7 day auction. Only had 2 bidders on it. As soon as the auction ended, the guy that won sent out a cancellation request. eBay said they'd credit my account the final value fees and listing fees if I accepted.

Well, I'm stubborn and said no, the guy cost me a buyer because he outbid someone else, so I'm gonna make him pay. I declined cancellation, and sent him a message that I'll ship as soon as he pays. He replied "i want to cancel". I told him I couldn't accept that, he won a 7 day auction and cost me a buyer, and that I will ship ASAP as soon as he accepts. He replied, I want to cancel and i'm not paying. Great.

Ended up having to open an unpaid item request, and then I have to go back in after 4 days have passed to close the request and get my refund. The guy only had like 4-5 total feedback, all positive. It sucks, but it is what it is.

If I could go back, I'd accept the cancellation and just move on. The time it's taken to deal with this after the fact wasn't worth it, but I at least got to stick him with an unpaid item claim. Not one time did he try and explain anything. Had he sent a message with the cancellation with a reason, I'd have maybe considered it, but the guy just didn't care. Anyway, lesson to everyone else out there, you're probably better off just accepting a cancellation and moving on if you want to save time.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

I wouldnt have gone down that path. Why MAKE a shitty buyer pay for your item? 90% of the time they will get back a you by asking for a refund/return after the fact and just ship you a box of rocks - and PayPal will always side with them.

Its not worth it.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

And usually as a seller it looks bad upon you in offering to the 2nd highest bidder in that they think you've been using a secondary account to shill against them and drive up the price.

I've been seeing more and more of this lately on ebay over the past year or two. Even with BIN auctions, buyers will flake. You just made the offer 30 seconds ago, whaddya mean you want to cancel? They're just window shopping, trying to find the lowest price out there, just like WRX buyers used to do.

Forget the auctions, just put up a BIN you're comfortable with that's within market rate and eventually you'll get a buyer. And if somebody wants to offer they'll probably reach out. Might take some patience but it generally has worked out far better for me than running auctions.

I get what you're saying, but why make him pay? Because he came into my auction and outbid someone that likely would have bought it. I'm pretty sure eBay has a pop up that comes up with you place a bid that essentially says it's a contract to but if you win??

My auctions all state item is used and sold as-is, and I don't accept returns. I'm sure I'd still get screwed in a dispute, but as an eBay'er with an account over 10 years old and 100% feedback, surely they would weigh that against the guy with 3 feedback. However, I'm probably fortunate this fell through, it's just the principal of the matter. Like I said originally, if they guy would have taken the time to message me and tell me what was going on, I'd have worked with him.

I had another guy put in an offer then back out, but he messaged me and asked me to please decline it because he thought the shaft had a Taylormade tip, and I declined it for him even though the title said Titleist tip, lol. But he was at least honest and took the effort to send me a message, unlike the buyer. Anyway, should sell pretty fast, it's just cost me more time than it's worth.

I used to sell everything on here and have absolutely no luck any more, so I just go to ebay. I'd rather do business on here.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

indeed it has. i've stopped trying to bother on there as a seller.

I've had plenty of those types of buyers. I just accept the cancellation and block them.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I've had problems similar to this on eBay, but after a lot of experience selling all over the internet I've come to realize that "it is what it is" with eBay. You're going to get the most possible exposure, but you are going to get a random stinker from time to time. I had one happen just yesterday - Had an item listed buy it now with a best offer option (my prefered way to sell on eBay), guy sent an offer, I countered, he accepted... following morning he sent a message that he wanted to cancel the order because of fears over the virus, and he didn't really want it anyways. I wanted to tell him to pound sand and give him a piece of my mind, but I went ahead and just cancelled the order and left the club boxed up hoping the re-listing sells quickly. It's too much trouble to go through just to prove a point and make the seller put more effort in to inconveniencing you.

Also, bear in mind that these are uncertain times, and folk's situations are changing by the minute. I am thankful mine has not, but I gave my p.i.t.a. buyer the benefit of the doubt, and hoped that by just quietly accepting his request and going on with my life, I may just have made his struggle a little less so.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

It's not worth getting into a psng contest over golf sales to prove points now. People are losing their jobs, losing investments, possibly losing apts/houses. Cancel the sale and move on with your life.

I've seen tons of gear selling for well below relative market value the last couple weeks, specifically on auction sales. The BIN stuff isn't selling but the auction listings are closing really low. Great time to buy low for those with the money to spend. And plenty of buyer's remorse, scammers, flakers to come over the next few months.

Seller AND buyer beware.

Plus we're going into a recession. Courses will close, golf shops will close, the entire golf industry will be hit hard over the next year at least. Stay well everybody.

Disagree. I've been selling for 20 years and once in a blue moon will get a case like the OP's, but where else you gonna get that kind of reach for your wares? And the Global Shipping Center is terrific, can't beat selling a ball marker or something to a guy in Japan with the shipping cost being (for me) first-class postage from Indiana to the Cincinnati airport. I also almost never provide free shipping, which is something that bothers me elsewhere. Why is the seller always supposed to cover shipping?

I think the expectation of free shipping has spilled over onto the bst here as well. Listing something on here at a good price anymore is tough because alot of buyers dont take the shipping fees into the list price. I think I'm going to start listing items here as I would on ebay, my asking price plus buyer pays actual shipping costs.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

ebay/paypal will almost always side with the buyer. In the end it's definitely not worth the time and effort. Just cut your losses and put it back up for auction. If you want I think there's a way to block the original buyer from bidding on the item again but that's as far as you can go to get "even" with him/her

Let me say first it is not nice thing for a buyer to do. It is also completely within the rules of eBay to cancel within a certain time of auction ending I believe an hour or so.

You should be able to contact other bidder and offer second chance or just relist. inconvenient but part of Ebay.

Sometimes its better to take the higher road and save the stress of being angry. Maybe he hit the wrong button. Maybe he just found out he has cancer and needs to redirect the funds.

maybe block him from future bidding and move on.

This goes both ways. I've won an auction and have had the seller cancel it right away claiming that the item "broke."

Ping G425 Max Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 3W Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Ping G425 3H, 4H Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80S

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW KBS C-Taper Lite S 

Taylormade Milled Grind 2 56* 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 60*

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H3 Stability Shaft

Srixon Z-Star Yellow

Ping DLX Cart Bag

OP very naive of you to think you can force someone to buy your items. Also the bit about someone being bound by contract. Honestly, I can win your bid and tell you to you to go screw yourself as I am not interested. Good luck trying to force me to buy it. No one cares about ebay ratings / reputations anymore. This not the 90's nor can ebay do a damn thing if I ignore you and them.