Help with Shallow AOA

ForeTheLoveOfGolf ·  
ForeTheLoveOfGolfForeTheLoveOfGolf Members  2WRX Points: 7Posts: 2 Starters

Hello everyone, this is my first post, but I've been a reader for a long time. I have been struggling with a shallow AOA for a while now. I've tried just about everything you can think of. The thing I have been really focusing on is my club shallowing in the transition. I have tried for countless hours to come down straight and steeper, but no luck. My miss is a slight push from the shallow shaft angle causing inside-out, and I struggle with a slight thin or fat shot every now and then. Mostly, I just hit the ball clean with no divot which causes the ball to go very high. Does anyone have any tips or feelings I could incorporate into my swing to fix this? Here is my swing: https://youtube .com/watch?v=YmVrhB5d6xQ&feature (remove the space between youtube and .com. Can't post links yet...). Thanks in advance!!

Posted:
Tagged:

Comments

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers  18837WRX Points: 1,444Posts: 18,837 Titanium Tees

Backswing is too wide.

loosen up your elbows at address, they are hyper extended.

You need some fold in the right elbow to 90* at the top.

Shift to left side might be late. Need FO to tell.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers  3930WRX Points: 547Posts: 3,930 Titanium Tees

First - too far from ball, hands too low.

Second your right arm is almost straight by shaft parallel in downswing and to hit the ball you end up moving your chest back and away otherwise you would fat it.

Need more left side bend in transition and synch the arms and pivot.

Here's the sequence. Arm almost straight = hips open

Arm is straight

Stand up chest in order to not hit it fat. hips pretty much same through this sequence - stall.

Need more left side bend in transition then right side bend from delivery position - your right shoulder is staying too high.

Here's a great video review of Rory and how he increases those angle in the downswing - prepare to eat the ground - as he increases left side bend early and adds more forward flexion he closes the space between the ball and his chest allowing him to keep his right arm bent (he is straightening it but doesn't really straighten until he is thru impact - that's the release) and note his right shoulder moving out and down while your shoulder stay high and back. Sequence starts around the 1:50 mark of video.

Posted:

Enjoy every sandwich.

• ForeTheLoveOfGolfForeTheLoveOfGolf Members  2WRX Points: 7Posts: 2 Starters

Thank you so much for these tips. Do you mind elaborating on folding the right elbow at the top. Does this mean more bend, or....

Posted:
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers  3930WRX Points: 547Posts: 3,930 Titanium Tees

Right arm straightens I the downswing but doesn’t completely straighten until after impact. In order to do this the right shoulder has to work down and out not stay high. If right shoulder stay high then you must straighten arm early to reach ball .

Posted:

Enjoy every sandwich.

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers  18837WRX Points: 1,444Posts: 18,837 Titanium Tees

Yes, bend it to 90*. Your hands are too far from your chest and right elbow is not bent enough, that’s why it’s straightening too early on the downswing.

Posted:
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members  4221WRX Points: 1,393Posts: 4,221 Titanium Tees

You’ve got an excellent move, so don’t start thinking you need to overhaul your swing.

I’d just spend a week hitting only punch shots, full-ish back swing with an abbreviated follow through, not really letting the hands release and making sure you swing with good smooth rhythm. Relax those arms at address like Monte said. After the week, move that feeling of punch shots into a regular full swing.

Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.