Private club Dues credit during shutdown.

What is your private course doing for membership dues. Clubcorp clubs are completely closed with only limited take out menu. They are asking us to pay full monthly dues and are offering a 50% credit to be used towards additional food purchase (no booze), guest fees, or cart fees. The credit has to be used within 6 months or its gone. We play year round here. We are getting virtually nothing for our dues while shutdown. First world problem I know but still seems unfair.

What are some of your clubs doing? Anything?

I'm still paying full dues. Clubhouse is closed to members, but the kitchen and bar are doing take-out to keep things going. The course is open but low 40's and rain isn't all that conducive to golf. No guests, carts or club-owned push carts are allowed on course. If members/clubs were to stop the monthly dues, a lot of private clubs will fold. They still have mortgages, bills, payroll to make just like every other business. It sucks, but it's what we signed up for. Hopefully this all clears up soon so we can start to get back to normal.

• Like 1

Signature!

I'll chime in to say that not all Club Corp clubs are closed. The Club Corp club I belong to still has the course open, though everything else is pretty much shut down. The restaurant is open for takeout. Also, at least for my club, they are giving a $125 credit per month to be used on whatever you like, but the credits will not show up on one's account until the club fully reopens.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

I'm already paid up for the year. Its disappointing the course is closed, but groups in WI are trying to get the order reversed to allow golf. Like Chris said, the bills still need to get paid so whether its through dues or an assessment it doesn't really matter. It makes sense for cash flow purposes to keep the money coming is to pay bills as normal.

Clubcorp is a bit of a different animal though because its a for profit company, not true club. I would be disappointed with the offer you got. Very little value (no booze) and its items that cost them practically nothing. I'll add this it the list of reasons I don't like Clubcorp.

Our club is fully shut down (and might have been the first in the country to take this measure).

From a cost perspective, the club is paying all employees at the same rate that their role was paid last year and we're going to do an assessment when this is all over to pay for it.

The only part still up in the air is the caddies, who are not club employees, as many members would like to find a way to pay them.

• Like 1

"seems unfair"

With the majority of a club's expenses being fixed, the money has to come from somewhere. The alternative is for the club to go out of business (vanishing any initiation that you may have paid). As a member, you share the risks & costs, as well as the benefits.

Life is sometimes unfair. Many other people have been dealt a much worse hardship than country club dues.

Clubcorp is open here, if members want to risk a game.

• Like 4

I get my yearly bill in April, so I don't know what they're planning on doing just yet. My guess is it will be a normal bill. And honestly, I think it should be. I'd prefer to keep the club afloat financially now, than watch it fall into more struggles because they relaxed our dues. They'd just assess us later anyways.

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I'm in the same boat with Club Corp and agree it sucks to pay while not being able to use anything but I understand why they have to do it that way. The credit IMO is the best option available for everyone involved. Sucks though.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Private club bills are due just like your bills are due. Clubs generally dont work on an endowment or a budget surplus. We are 100% shut down and are currently playing ALL employees the same rate. There is a skeleton crew of facility maintenance and about 50% of grounds are working keeping everything ready to go when this is over. If you stop paying, they club stops paying their employees, then the employees leave. Then your facilities deteriorate, and the course and facilities are the #1 asset of your club. Hopefully nothing major will happen with a few weeks.

Yes it sucks big time. My wife is already irritated cause she just paid the bill. Just think though, this will be your lowest monthly bill ever!!!!

• Like 1

Our county is under a shelter in place order with some exceptions. My ClubCorp club is open but with only one person allowed per cart, upside down cups, no rakes, rule to not pull pins, etc. I’m paying full dues, but have access to golf so I’m okay with it.

Restaurants on the property are take out only. We are getting $100 per month credit that won’t be available until the club is back to full operations. We will have 6 months to use the credits.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

@DonatelloNobodie - For fully member owned private clubs I get that everyone shares the risk and expense so I would expect no monthly dues relief. However that's not the Clubcorp situation. They are a for profit company. They are maintaining and I would argue even increasing their profit margin during this crisis. At their members expense without providing the services.

Thankfully our course is open even though everything else at our club is closed - clubhouse, pro shop, range, bar/grill etc.

But even if the course was closed - I'd much rather keep paying my full boat worth of dues then have the club lay anyone off. We have a really great staff and I wouldn't want to lose any of them just so I can get some kind of credit for a couple months.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I was hoping to see this thread, interesting issue

Part of Clublink in Canada FWIW

I would say the operatings costs are not the same. All staff laid off including grounds staff. Maybe 3 people still on salary

We have a 6 month season and I personally feel if we lose 2 months … there has to be a refund of dues that were prepaid in Feb

I just want the course to open. I would not expect any credits if the clubhouse and locker room etc stay closed of course

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I'm no longer a member at my last club but have close friends who are still members. They report that there are no dues reductions or credits, but you can defer your monthly food minimum ($75) to some point later in the year. The only part of the club still open is the kitchen, for curbside take-out only. This is a member-owned club that has a lot of fixed expenses that still must be paid even if the place is closed.  I don't think it would be reasonable to expect any kind of dues reduction or credit. They were already on the edge financially with little reserves or fat in the budget before this COVID-19 mess.  Since it is in the northeast, only the diehard golfers are usually playing now until mid-April anyway due to weather.

Additionally, I know there are many members whose service-industry businesses are probably getting destroyed right now due to the mandatory shutdowns and may be contemplating whether continuing their memberships is feasible or not, especially if their use of the club had been relatively infrequent.

We just got mail from our club saying that the course maintenance is allowed to proceed even though we have an "essential services" only restriction in place so as of right now they are prepping for the course opening as usual.

Since we wouldn't normally open until April 25th at the earliest anyway it's not a big deal yet. I fully expect that once we open the first few social events will be cancelled/postponed unless things improve drastically.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I'm dealing with some guilt because I decided this would be the year I take a season off from my club after about a decade there (and I worked there for many years as a kid, it's where I learned my love of the game). The decision started because I was annoyed they decided not to stay open over the winter (and would have undoubtedly gotten me to re-up back in Dec-Jan because we had 5-7 very playable weekends here in the Northeast. Then I started to think that between a spring golf trip, plus Little League coaching, I just wasn't going to get enough out of it.

Now they're closed and I'm sitting here thinking I owe them my support if they're closed through the next month, which is when they're likely picking up most of their members for the year. The owners are big time real estate developers and run the place on a shoestring, either for the tax break, or goodwill to the town or their apartment residents, or because the patriarch of the family wrote it into his will (depending on who you ask). I don't mind if they have to take a loss for the year but if this crisis proves to be the looming fatal blow I'll feel awful. More importantly, if they can't maintain their staff even in the short term, that'll be terrible.

Rideauview, so Ontario side.

Apparently the NGCOA got clarification that greens work was exempt under Part 13 of the essential services list so any course that is a member should be getting the same message.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

While I have heard nothing from either of my clubs about reducing dues/fees, I am hopeful that we will be asked step up either voluntarily or as a one time assessment to try and make employees whole as best we can. We have a lot of good people who have been with us through thick and thin. I would like to think we would stand by them in a time of need.

Phred

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I'd be willing to do the same in order to make sure that things are as well as they can be when we do return to some sense of normal.

NYS relaxed the order on golf courses the other day, so I went over and played 18 yesterday afternoon. There were about 40 guys there waiting to tee off when I arrived.

Also, our head pro was out on the course shoveling and raking with the grounds crew. Really appreciate that guy.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Unfortunately I don't see that happening in Maryland because Hogan (overall doing a great job) is trying to position himself as a hard line type of guy that takes aggressive actions. He wants to make a run for the 2024 POTUS spot.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

My club here in Ohio had a dues increase projected to start in April that was delayed indefinitely. Currently, golf at the club is open, walking only, 20 minute tee times, all the other standard items, rakes cups etc. Restaurant is takeout or delivery only.

There is a lot of rumbling gong around Ohio though. Health departments are shutting courses down. However, conflicting messages coming from the governor. I think we will be shut down unfortunately.