Lead tape on a driver question

dre72 ·  
dre72dre72 Members  536WRX Points: 104Handicap: +2.7Posts: 536 Golden Tee

I have a tour issued M4 that I hit very well. Point and shoot kinda accuracy, however it spins too much. Lat time I was on a monitor with it it was 2600-3000. I have a Fuji Ventus Black shaft in there, so I am pretty confident that it isn't the shaft. I currently have some lead tape just behind the "hammerhead" slot on the sole. Looks be damned, I am seriously considering putting the leadtape on the top of the crown and removing it off the bottom. I know it will be ugly but the only thing I care about is the scorecard. Would doing this bring the spin down much? Has anyone tried this??

Posted:

Comments

• WanLeftyWanLefty Members  506WRX Points: 87Posts: 506 Golden Tee

Unfortunately lead tape isn't going to have the desired result on reducing spin that dramatically.

Your only real options are to decrease loft or change head type for a large spin reduction. Simply changing weights will usually only impact a few hundred rpms at most.

The other thing you could look into is strike location as even with all the right equipment you can override all of it with poor impact parameteres.

Hope that's helpful.

Wan

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  10611WRX Points: 1,637Posts: 10,611 Titanium Tees

Like the poster above write, thats NOT your issue, and if it was, moving it from the sole to the crown or up is the wrong direction.

Your issue is most likely impact position on the face, its to low vs the club heads Vertical Center of Gravity.

1/8" higher only, cut of average 240 rpms...2/8" cut of 480 rpm...3/8" cuts of 720 rpms....so all you have to do to get spin levels lower is to move impact a little higher on the face.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting

Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3249WRX Points: 1,370Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,249 Titanium Tees

Yeah i'm not sure where you got the idea to put the lead tape on the crown, but that is backwards like Howard said. The M4 is a pretty high MOI driver, but also quite high CG, so you need to get your strike location up to lower spin. The middle of the face is NOT where the sweet spot is, you need to living at least a groove higher. Just be careful, because "point and shoot" accuracy is aided by spin. As you decrease spin, your stability can start to suffer. Tons of tour players live in the 2,600-3,000 spin range for that reason.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage DC 80TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 100XTS || Srixon Z U65 Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread
  • Adam CAdam C Members  725WRX Points: 401Handicap: 4Posts: 725 Golden Tee

Totally agree with this. 2,000 spin rate looks good on paper but if you start to lose your swing a bit, that driver will be all over the map. Remember the SLDR!!

Posted:
  • 1crusader1crusader Experienced Club Ho ClubWRX  126WRX Points: 74Posts: 126 ClubWRX

Im a ridiculously high spin player, ts4 has done wonders for me in reducing spin yet still being accurate!

Posted:
    Titleist TS4 8* 
    Taylormade Original the one Tour ad Iz
    4-pw Miura MC-501 Raw
    50,54 60 PXG 0311 wedges
    64  Vokey SM5 -DG Tour issued
    97 Scotty Cameron Tei3 Sante Fe
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  10611WRX Points: 1,637Posts: 10,611 Titanium Tees

Thats a misjudgment Adam, the SLDR was extreme, we have not seen anything like it before or after, it had a very low VCOG and very short RCOG, but other drivers is not like that, they all have a longer RCOG = Higher MOI., and Higher VCOG. That means if the player has a spin issue, he is able to raise impact higher without the same risk as the SDLR player had on every shot, since a outside of the center/VCOG vertical line, dont punish the player with the same head twisting who causes the horizontal gear effects, who is the reason for a very sharp tilted spin axis and what you in the US call "knuckle ball flight". Heads with higher MOI value want twist as brutal as SLDR because they have a longer RCOG and by that higher MOI = more resistance to twist....so low spin with the spin axis under control is achievable if you pick the right head specs. Thats why we cant think like you do based on how the SLDR was, because the problem was not low spin isolated, but low spin combined with the brutal head twist due to a short RCOG and low MOI value.

If i had a SLDR head myself, i would have removed the front sliding weight, and added hot melt as far back you can get without thinking of that its higher than the lowest sole level. Its VCOG is so low to start with it want hurt if we move it 1/8" higher) but we want be able to with out LOTs of weight), it will still be low, but we would gain some MOI and improve forgiveness by reducing head twist and horizontal gear effects on those shots with impact outside the VCOG line.

Another way to "improve" performance on the SLDR is to use a silly stiff tip section with a low TQ value combined with the hot melt in the rear and removed sliding wgt.

Posted:

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3249WRX Points: 1,370Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,249 Titanium Tees

I definitely agree that the SLDR was an outlier in that sense, but I still think the same caution is warranted to a certain extent. You get away with a whole lot more with the M4 over an SLDR, but a high toe ball can still knuckle, especially if his high spin is strike induced and still under 3,000. That suggests that a proper high center or high toe strike could easily get into the low 2,000's, if not lower, and that can spell danger if it strays just a little too far into the toe. Substantially less danger than with the SLDR, but still there.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage DC 80TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 100XTS || Srixon Z U65 Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread

No heads is able to "fix it" no matter how bad it is, everything has a limit, and the players impact alone is just a part of it, face to pact matters too, and what BIAS that had has for the actual impact situation.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.