Will we see a new generation of walkers?

BKN1964

too many unhealthy Americans. this would help

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Unfortunately no. Barring some kind of awakening they will return to type. I don't think those that are fit and choose not to, don't know it's healthier and not difficult, they just cannot be arsed.

I saw a seemingly height/weight proportional healthy guy get in his car and drive 100yds from the grocery store to the pharmacy tonight. Some/more than some folks are just that way.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I love walking. I think one thing courses need to do is really have people be able to utilize the push carts with out too much money to rent.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I’m jumping on the walking band wagon once courses open up again mainly because I just bought a push cart. Plus saves me some dough for paying the cart fee. The wife won’t mind if I lose a couple pounds

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

With many courses closed, we'll be lucky if at least half that played do come back to the game. Those that do come back, may not play as much as they did in the past. I say this, because depending on location, not a lot of young folks are playing, at least in my area. We've lost over 4 courses just in the past year alone and at least one more is barely holding on. This time away from the game, is giving some a different out look on things in general and perhaps showing that spending time and money differently has it's own rewards. As for walking vs carts, carts are the money maker for courses and the older the clientele, the more need for carts. Personally, I would love to walk, but at my age and health, 9 holes would be as much as I could handle and in summer heat, no way could I walk even that 9. One thing that has always stuck in my craw, is the charge of a trail fee, for those that have their own cart. To me, that's like charging you a fee for using your own clubs.

My 9 and 10 year old girls had fallen in love with riding in a cart with me while we played 6 or 9 holes in the evenings. Took them out last night but let them know that they'd have to walk. They used my pull cart with their bags and I carried mine. The younger one ranked it higher than riding and the older said it was "tied." They want to go back tonight to walk again...And they slept well.

• Like 1

As someone who recently started walking because of really having no other option, I will share my opinion on this with my first post on this site. I'm in my low 30's and thin, in decent shape, but nothing crazy. I could walk or hike for a long time but I get pretty winded quickly if I am sprinting. I am a beer drinker on the course and enjoy to do it socially. I have been playing for golf 10+ years on and off and within the last year have become on another level of being more serious about it. I want to get to single digit handicaps consistently, as right now i am more in the 10-12 range on good days and bogey golf on my off days.

Now, to the main point....the walking of courses. I have always ridden in carts for the most part when I have played, aside from 9 hole par 3 courses. It's not because I hate walking courses or anything, but more because it's easier to ride in carts and the people I have always gone with prefer it as well.

But now, riding isn't really an option and I like golf so much that I am not going to stop playing just because I can't ride in a cart. Currently, because of this Coronavirus, I am at the point where I have stopped trying to scavenge for the rare open course and have just been walking on courses I am familiar with for free using a walking cart. I have done this three times and it has been an awesome experience every time. You get to appreciate the beauty of the courses a lot more and you have time to reflect on your shots and time to walk off your bad shots. It's also a pretty good work out, especially for me considering I have a huge bag which makes walking a bit more difficult. I need to either take some stuff out of my bag or get a lighter bag for walking the course only. I also would not walk in the California summer heat. No way, no how.

Anyway, because of everything going on, my appreciation for walking courses has grown and it's something I could see myself doing more when I get older to get some exercise in while having a good time. But when things return to normalcy, I will still mostly ride in the carts provided because I like to bring extras on the course (ice chest of beers, sandwiches, music speaker, etc.) Basically, I pack a lot of stuff. But every person is different and many people don't do that. But yea, that's 2 cents.

• Like 1

Walking is fun when you're playing well.

When you're not and your playing army golf and hitting two shots off the tee in opposite directions ....it sucks.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Some folks just associate golf with riding. My local short course is perfectly flat and the next tees are right next to the previous greens. I can walk 18 in 2 hours at a brisk pace with no one in front of me. A lot of healthy looking folks ride there. I don't understand it but it subsidizes the greens fees so I don't mind them riding.

But some folks might realize they like walking after they walk a few rounds and get into better shape. When I had some surgery last year, they asked me in the hospital if I could walk 18 holes. I said I could. The nurse said I looked liked I could. She said some folks say they can walk 18 but she doubts they could. We should all be able to walk 18 if we're lucky enough to have our health.

• Like 1

I'll be 65 years old in a few days. 8 months ago I had my second hip replaced. For the past 5 months I've been walking 18 holes 3 days a week. I'd MUCH rather walk then use a cart. I use a remote controlled cart. Most of the guys I play with use riding carts. I can't see any of them changing to walking upon the course reopening. Most of them couldn't walk one hole, yet alone 18. No way these guys or most of the cart riders at our course are walking when we reopen. If the carts are forbidden when we reopen, they won't play, period.

To the OPs question, we'll see very few people, if any, change to walking when this is over.

• Like 1

Old courses were designed for walkers. Many of todays courses were built with developments in mind. The course I belonged to in Pennsylvania for over 30 years was built in the 1920s and it was a short walk from green to the next tee, but it also had some serious inclines. Walking was limited there to late afternoon. I used to walk nine with my carry bag and loved it. Some members looked at me as being cheap (hurt golf course revenues), not taking a cart. I just loved the walk and golf is, in my opinion, a walking game.

• Like 1

Thank you. That's Cosmo. He's one of our 2 rescue cats!! Cool avatar pic you have too.

I tried to pass on the hips, too. But now that they are both done I am more mobile then I have been in nearly my whole life. These titanium hips are awesome. It's so much easier to play golf, walk, get up and down. It's really amazing when it's all over. Besides walking I also cycle the other 4 days a week for a weekly total of about 70 miles

Interestingly enough I've noticed that alot of the younger (say in their 20s) players that have taken up the game are very pro walking and anti-cart. I found this quite interesting personally.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I suppose it's possible, however just in my experience i don't know many healthy / fit people that don't walk already. Most of the people i know who ride in carts are older, or shall we say, big boned.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Summer of '76 - had friends I played with and with my dad when he could, but he always worked on Saturday mornings just because and my friends didn't want to get up early just for golf so I'd walk a few blocks to "the club" if I wasn't working and use the range and mess around a little. A couple of the older guys who walked 100% of the time invited me to play with them one Saturday and we played a couple of more times that summer. I was friends with their kids, who didn't golf, and they were just good guys, period. Always carried my clubs back then, they had pull carts. There weren't too many of the cart personalities that would have even noticed a kid let alone asked him to play with them. Wednesday afternoon "men's day" (dad didn't do that, lol, and btw we always walked) was nothing but carts, slow play and a few serious mixed drinkers, lol, my friends and I were usually right behind them with the first chance we could tee off, which was dumb because they were playing 5 hour rounds (could steal a couple smokes in the trees while waiting forever on 17 tee).

Point is, even back then, riding had really become ingrained behavior in lots of places. By contrast, the muni course was overwhelmingly walkers, and as a kid, in general, where I lived, walkers seemed more my kind of folks. (Yes, plenty of nice guys riding at "the club", need to be careful, but back then we didn't see it that way). 9 hole country course where both my grandpas played all the old retired farmers, etc. rode, it was a "thing" - but those guys were always looking for company, especially if they knew you were one of their friends' grandkids.

Don't see much changing - it's been convenience for decades (where do you put a cooler on a push cart?, and I'm leaving out courses where carts are required and IMO necessary sometimes). I ride way more than I should, but get exercise otherwise, and every year resolve to walk more - I've been much, much better at being less "big boned", lol, than I have getting in more rounds walking (but putting on a few post-surgery), but it's another priority for this season when I can play, and I can just tell my friends it's part of my recommended PT, even though it won't really be part of it, lol.