Anyone playing the PXG 0211 and having issues due to high bounce on these irons?

TrunkSlammerchicago ·  
TrunkSlammerchicagoTrunkSlammerchicago Members  6WRX Points: 6Posts: 6 Bunkers

So, can someone tell me their thoughts on the bounce of the PXG 0211 irons please. It seems extremely high compared to other brands I have seen and scares me a bit about possibly purchasing. I have hit them indoors only and they felt quite nice. That said, wonder how this will play in the real world. Handicap index 7.6 , play public courses almost exclusively. Thanks in advance!

I play Regular Rogue irons now and looking for something with better feel and good performance.

Posted:

Answers

• dan360dan360 loisible Members  5542WRX Points: 494Posts: 5,542 Titanium Tees

Currently with the soft conditions I've had nothing but pleasure with them. I could see if you play off hard pan and can nip the ball, maybe, but I dunno about this whole high bounce thing being super turrble..

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers  213WRX Points: 125Handicap: 3Posts: 213 Fairways

High bounce?

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tour 65 Stiff
    Ping G410 3wd @ 15.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 7wd @ 19.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50*, 56* @ 55, 60* Modus 105 Stiff
    Evnroll TR8 33"
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2326WRX Points: 1,485Handicap: 5Posts: 2,326 Platinum Tees

PXG has Ping designers and the irons are very similar. Ask the PGA and LPGA players if they struggle with the i210 off of a variety of lies.

Posted:

• edappedapp Members  3WRX Points: 9Posts: 3 Starters

I also play rogues currently, and have a set of 0211's on order. Will let you know if its a problem when they arrive!

Posted:
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19370WRX Points: 1,449Posts: 19,370 Titanium Tees

High bounce is good! The sole isn't particularly wide so the bounce won't have a huge impact anyway.

As an aside, how much bounce on your sand wedge and do you have any issues hitting it from the fairway. Most sand wedges have something in the range of 12 degrees of bounce and very few people struggle with contact on full shots (which goes to show, high bounce won't cause issues.)

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • TrunkSlammerchicagoTrunkSlammerchicago Members  6WRX Points: 6Posts: 6 Bunkers

Thank you all for your comments and answers! Interesting comparison to Ping i210, looked at those specs and they are almost the same and only ones I have seen that also have these high numbers. Would be great to hear from some more who is actually playing them. Interesting, the help tec at PXG suggested I order them one degree stronger loft to reduce the effective bounce of each iron. From what I have read every degree up or down equals a degree up or down of bounce. In regard to sand wedge, I hit my MacDaddy 54 degree pretty well off of turf with full swings but it is not as consistent or confidence inspiring on really tight lies as my AW or PW. Thanks again all!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • KevinKegmanKevinKegman Members  58WRX Points: 33Handicap: 10-12Posts: 58 Bunkers

Never had any issues with my 0211’s even when hitting off the mat. But I do hit it better in the grass than off that mat’s. I have a steep attack angle. So the clubs might actually help me somewhat on that issue. I probably have 15 rounds and 30+ range sessions and still love my clubs. Now my putters...

Posted:
  • TrunkSlammerchicagoTrunkSlammerchicago Members  6WRX Points: 6Posts: 6 Bunkers

Kevin, thank you for the insight and happy to hear you like your clubs. I have a shallow attack angle/flatter swing which is why I am a bit concerned. I seemed to hit them well in the fitting studio but have no way to hit outdoors. When I told tech rep via email that I have a flatter swing and was concerned that is when he suggested 1 degree stronger loft however at fit session fitter did not comment on that but we did not discuss bounce at that time.

Posted:

If your hands come through ahead of the face—which is a move most golfers do whether they realize it or not—you’re dynamically (sp?) delofting, defacto lowering the bounce anyway.

people forget that point a lot and go for a super low bounce club, then ax chop it into the ground, sprain their wrists, and take up meth.

high bounce is the best high. Not meth.

Posted:

Dan, good point, I tend to use a fairly strong forward press in my set up which does deloft the club and hence bounce as well. My concern stems from what seemed to be much higher bounce on the 0211 than most other brands. That said, certainly want to avoid broken wrists and meth. BTW, these were numbers for 0211 vs Apex Pro which I am also considering (and actually felt the best but are really $$) from my fitting, If any fitters out there would love your take.

Posted:

They're harder to find as demo irons but they're out there. A fitter loaned me two of them to try out before I formally ordered up. Wrong shafts but I was more concerned about turf interaction and they, quite honestly, operate in my mere mortal paws like a really sweet feeling forgiving-but-still-good-looking-at-address PING iron.

I grew up on the PING "feel" and it's pretty obvious the brains behind these escaped the Solheim compound with their full R&D kit in place.

Posted:

Advertisement

Thanks Dan360, Ping does make great products, I love their putters (game an Arna [Stealth]) and also the G400 Max driver which I also game. I will wait and see if I can demo outdoors somewhere, obviously no rush with what is happening now around the world. Thanks again and stay safe.

Posted:
    • NEW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.