Old Mizuno SPL blades circa mid 1980's

Rapidcat ·  
RapidcatRapidcat Members  80WRX Points: 42Posts: 80 Fairways

Posting in this area of the forum because I expect to find a good few Mizuno devotees here.

These were my first set of irons which I played for a decade or so and have kept them in the back of a closet since.

Absolutely gorgeous (see the images) and I am beginning a project to refurbish them and put them back into play. They are solid blades, not hollow in construction.

I have come up blank though in researching what their specs are. Naturally I can have loft and lies physically checked but as a starting point just want to get some specs from somewhere on-line.

I can't even find an exact image on-line, I have seen a few with the 'SPL' logo in a different position on the back of the head. I have gone through a search on this and other forums plus the normal internet stuff including official Mizuno sites. I even found an interactive page from Mizuno Europe showing models with some specs but 'only' going back to 1990 and my SPL's pre-date that.

Can anyone help with info or thoughts? BTW, I don't think that these are the 'Progressive Lite SPLs' that were part of the ultralite craze of the day, my SPL's swingweight out at c. D1. Not really sure though, the 'PL' is 'SPL' could denote 'Progressive Lite'.

Thanks in anticipation, it's driving me nuts trying to find information.

Posted:

Comments

• RapidcatRapidcat Members  80WRX Points: 42Posts: 80 Fairways

One other thing I'm after, and this may be a little easier - shafts.

My SPL's have a Mizuno shaft with a burgundy logo band with a large 'FT' and the words FREQUENCY TUNED and LITE WEIGHT.

No flex designation, I seem to recall that they played 'firm' eg between regular and stiff.

Certainly not a high launch but more penetrating flight closer to a TT DG.

Thanks again.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BigBoss84BigBoss84 Members  7WRX Points: 10Posts: 7 Bunkers

It is a good idea

Posted:
  • RapidcatRapidcat Members  80WRX Points: 42Posts: 80 Fairways

Further research has uncovered this information from the Mizuno forum, posting it here for general forum knowledge:

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.