***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

TXG Bracket results: How fast is the Mavrik!?

Comments

• getitdailygetitdaily Members  3814WRX Points: 718Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,814 Titanium Tees

100% agree. Just do another video series where they now weight the exact same combos for consistency. He was fit for each, after all. Then we get to see "which would you go play with right now"...

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • J13J13 Dad golf MarylandMembers  16625WRX Points: 1,625Handicap: +1.6Posts: 16,625 Titanium Tees

Interesting how the thread is SIM vs Mavrik meanwhile lots of other drivers performed great. Cobra specifically. Cobra SZ X is insanely forgiving and lowish spin and one that a lot of people should be paying attention to.

Posted:
    Driver     -     Cobra SZ Xtreme 9* w/ Aldila RIPX 75TX
    3W         -     Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
    Hybrid   -      Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* w/ Project X evnflow black 85X
    Utility     -     Callaway Xforged 24* / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Irons      -      Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Wedges -      Callaway MD5 50S, 54S, MD4 60C
    Putter    -      Odyssey Versa 6
    Ball        -      Srixon Zstar XV

WITB & Content - 
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1108083/j13s-witb-2020-irons-podcast-pics-added-pg-101/p1

Instagram
    On -, @Jminis13

• nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera Members  5913WRX Points: 526Handicap: -.6Posts: 5,913 Titanium Tees

QDU, Thanks for posting this. I wish you would've included the total distance on the MSZ.

Posted:
    JBeam BM-435 Blackout 9* Accra TZ6 65 M5
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* 3WD & 18* 5WD Accra TourZ 382 M5
    Exotics CBX 22* Hybrid Accra TZ5-95H M5 or
    Exotics CB2  21* 7WD Accra TZ5 85 M5  or
    Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 19* Speeder 904HB X
    PING S55 5-P Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
    Chikara V1 Proto 51, 55, 59 KBS Tour X (8-iron)
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10876WRX Points: 3,984Handicap: 8Posts: 10,876 ClubWRX

Yeah it got cut off and I didnt notice till it was too late. Sorry.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10876WRX Points: 3,984Handicap: 8Posts: 10,876 ClubWRX

I think those get brought up as they are the two newest and are from the biggest swingers in industry. All performed great. The cobra extreme is an amazing driver. As you said a very solid sleeper that shouldn't be.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • BleederFadeBleederFade Members  246WRX Points: 69Posts: 246 Fairways

I think TXG did an amazing job comparing current market offerings for Matty. There are so many variables that come into play and they did about as much as they could to level the playing field by fitting each driver and setting parameters for shots to count. But simple matters of fatigue and how he is swinging on each day are things you can't control too easily. One driver might be better fit for him on any given day. The simple matter is his drives, within the set parameters, went farther and straighter with the Mavrik.

Would not be surprised if they were to include his total shots per driver into the final score for next years bracket. Maybe subtract the # of fairways missed from the total? Would be curious to see if his results would change that much with this.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5 - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    Titleist 913F 15 - Diamana W 80X
    Titleist 718 T-MB 2 - Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Mizuno MP18 4 - PW - TTDG X100
    Vokey SM7 52.12 F, 56.14 F - TTDG S400
    Taylormade HiToe 60 - TTDG S400
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Advertisement
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3814WRX Points: 718Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,814 Titanium Tees

5 yard decrease for every 5% drop in shots kept...

If shots kept were 90% then the total yards score gets a 10 yard deduction.

If it took 20 drives to get 10 keepers then the overall score is reduced by 50 yards...would change the results dramatically.

Posted:
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members  3843WRX Points: 742Handicap: 3.0Posts: 3,843 Titanium Tees

Spot on. Dick measuring contest of the highest degree. Seems like people are irritated if a person makes a different choice to their own.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    TaylorMade Sim Max Rescue 19° w/ HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 3-9 w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 48°,53°,58° w/ DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 34"

• ex0dusex0dus Members  572WRX Points: 147Handicap: 2Posts: 572 Golden Tee

I would agree that the testing method is a little suspect. I would ditch the fairway and just take the best 5 of 10, best 8 of 15...whatever so the playing field is level. Taking 26 shots with one driver and half that with another isn't a fair comparison.

Posted:
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13
    Cobra F6 baffler
    Mizuno 630 MP CLK 20
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-9
    Vokey SM7 50
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 54,60
    Putter....depends on the day
    Snell mtbx
  • WristySwingWristySwing Members  963WRX Points: 622Posts: 963 Golden Tee

I wouldn't be so sure of your last line. Remember what happened in the first test, he hit 71% fairway. And we aren't talking wild drives either, the criteria is missed the fairway. Would you consider 1-3 yards in the rough poor playability?

Posted:

Taylormade SIM 9* - Aldila Rogue Silver 130 MSI 60 | Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Veylix Arcane 788 | Callaway Mavrik SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85 | Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW - KBS $-Taper Black | Vokey SM8 Raw 50.12F, 54.12D & 59.07LBK - Accra 123i | Bettinardi BB Zero Custom - Stability | Tour Velvet Midsize Cord | Srixon Z-Star Xv Yellow

• 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members  1016WRX Points: 398Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

When someone earlier mentioned people being fanbois, he was likely referencing people who will argue with the result any it differs from their opinion. For whatever reason, Ian and Matt came to a different conclusion than you. It should not mean anything to anyone but Matt, because he is the one that will be putting the club in play. And people should not take his results personal, but for some reason, some people do.

Personally, I don't care how many strikes were taken by each club. I would trust that Ian's knowledge would get me to where I need to be in the end. If he thinks a few more strikes with one club are warranted because he sees or wants to confirm something, I would trust his judgement. And it seems like Matt certainly trusts his judgement too.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • therealjonzonetherealjonzone Members  2831WRX Points: 398Handicap: 2.9Posts: 2,831 Titanium Tees

No. Your formula is just not realistic.

You can’t just bring arbitrary numbers into the equation

Posted:
  • halfsumohalfsumo Members  865WRX Points: 204Posts: 865 Golden Tee

All testing forthwith shall harness the Callaway AI super computer and simulate 5,000,000 shots per club, followed by 1000 indoor shots for each club hit over multiple sessions, followed by 10 rounds with each club to measure strokes gained. If my driver doesn't win, then we shall add variables and data until it does.

Posted:
    Mavrik TripleD 9* Tensei Pro White 60tx
    TS3 15*  Tensei Pro White 70tx
    PXG gen 2 17* Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
    PING G410 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 M4
    PING i210 5-PW MMT 105tx
    PING Glide 3.0 50, 56ss
    Vokey SM7 60 S grind
    Newport 2 
  • bitt03bitt03 Members  387WRX Points: 98Posts: 387 Greens

I couldn’t play a driver with sub 2000 spin. Very little room for error at that number.

Posted:
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members  1927WRX Points: 616Posts: 1,927 Platinum Tees

I didn’t see any faster ball speeds with the mavrik compared to my epic SZ.

Posted:
  • golfho50golfho50 Members  344WRX Points: 98Handicap: 8Posts: 344 Greens

Agree...I think TXG should run the test with 10 swings and all shots count. We don't play golf and say that OB tee shot did not count (unless its first hole no warm up mulligan among friends). Every shot counts and the misses affect the score more than the good shots. Not to say the Maverick may not have won anyway but Cherry picking shots does not give an accurate view.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members  1016WRX Points: 398Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

Yeah, that is a great idea. Because every swing will be the exact same.

You can't expect blind data to give you any reliable information. Taking exactly 10 swings with each driver will make the results even less quantifiable. How do you quantify the results when you may be tight on your first swings and tired on your last swings. Plus it does not allow any room for adjustments. So if you cannot make adjustments, then what would the purpose.

I think some of the comments on here criticizing the testing are short sighted, because some people are wanting a Rick Shiels style comparison and instead they saw someone compare several clubs with a proper fitting.

If you want someone to put the same shaft in everything and then compare it, there are plenty of youtubers out there doing that.

Posted:

Exactly. And a lot of people are forgetting that a miss qualified as "missed fairway". Yes, they had a blooper reel of Matt hooking and slicing it 40/50 yards offline, but for each one of those, how many of them just rolled into the rough or caught the bunker? Sure the bunker might be a pitch out (never played Carnoustie personally) but can we really call hitting it 1 yard into rough a penalty and a score killer on most courses us mortals are playing? Absolutely not. I think the test was fine and was about as good as it could be.

Posted:

Taylormade SIM 9* - Aldila Rogue Silver 130 MSI 60 | Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Veylix Arcane 788 | Callaway Mavrik SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85 | Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW - KBS $-Taper Black | Vokey SM8 Raw 50.12F, 54.12D & 59.07LBK - Accra 123i | Bettinardi BB Zero Custom - Stability | Tour Velvet Midsize Cord | Srixon Z-Star Xv Yellow

• CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members  1091WRX Points: 177Posts: 1,091 Platinum Tees

What is interesting is that I don’t think he was actually swinging the Mavrik all that well in the final session. Whereas I think he got about as much as he could from the Cobra, it appeared he wasn’t swinging the Mavrik as fluidly IMO. Would love to see the same comparison, current gamer vs optimized Mavrik.

Posted:
  • radimanradiman Members  4895WRX Points: 418Handicap: 3.8Posts: 4,895 Titanium Tees

Matt was crushing the Mavrik. He hit the Cobra well too. But from the matchups I watched, the Mavrik was pretty much running away with it. It seemed like the TS3 matchup was close. Could be the cyclone shape. I know a lot of people call it marketing BS. But, when I swing it, I can feel that there is less drag vs the Epic Flash SZ and the Mavrik SZ. Reminds me a lot of when I swung the G400LST for the first time. Could feel and hear that there is less wind resistance.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Advertisement
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob Member of the 1 iron Club! Members  4744WRX Points: 558Posts: 4,744 Titanium Tees

According to the M.G.S testing the Longest Distance Driver goes to .......... Not the Mavrik, not the SIM...but the MAVRIK SUB ZERO....with the highest ball speed and total distance.

BEST DISTANCE

CALLAWAY MAVRIK SUB ZERO

• Longest Driver 2020
    • Fastest ball speeds
    • Among lowest spinning
    • Improved sound

Posted:

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Tensei Pro Blue, 70TX
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 5 Wood, 18*, Accra TZ6/M5, 90g X
    CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST, 102g X
    TAYLORMADE P790, 4, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 3 - P, TW Lofts, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 54/10F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY CAMERON Custom BOS Torched Newport 2 Putter
    NIKE Sport Lite Carry Bag, Black
    SUN MOUNTAIN 20 Tour Series Bag, Black
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Black
    GARMIN Approach Z82, GPS/Rangefinder
    GROOVEIT Wet Brush

Jives with what I saw from mav sz and sim...except that sim had smaller shot area than mav - ONLY because 3 of 12 or 15 shots with mav sz were 30 yards left.

Posted:
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2718WRX Points: 1,757Handicap: 3Posts: 2,718 Titanium Tees

Love their tests. I'd be taking 410 LST off of that list though. Great combo of ball speed, low spin, forgiveness.

Posted:

▪️ Ping G410 LST 9* PX Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5X

▪️ Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 70x

▪️ Titleist 818 H1 @18* PX Hzrdus HC Black 85g

▪️ Miura CB-57 4-7, Miura MB-001 8-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

▪️ Vokey Forged 52F 56M | Vokey TVD 56M 58K 60K | Taylormade Hi-Toe 60ATV | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 (Change based on bag and course)

▪️ Byron Morgan DH89 34.75" Custom

▪️ Titleist Pro V1X | Srixon Z-Star XV | Taylormade TP5X

▪️ Ping Hoofer

• jblough99jblough99 Members  1069WRX Points: 292Posts: 1,069 Platinum Tees

From looking at the chart above, SIM is the low spin monster of the year by quite a margin, almost double (percentage wise) the next closest, which happens to be the Mavrik SZ.

I went and checked out the full list and the above isnt exactly correct. The Tommy Armour 845 is even lower spin than the SIM according to the chart?!?!?

Posted:
    Driver - SIM 10.5 (at 8.5) Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
    Fairway - SIM Titanium 15 (at 14.25) Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8X
    Fairway - SIM Titanium 19 (at 18.25) Fujikura Ventus Black 9X
    Irons - 2019 Cobra King Forged MB 5-GW KBS $-Taper 130X
    Sand Wedge - Cobra MIM Black 56.10 Versatile KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125
    Lob Wedge - Cobra MIM Black 60.04 Widelow KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 
    Putter - Tour Issue Odyssey Protype PT12

• Puttersaurus RexPuttersaurus Rex one swing at a time Members  964WRX Points: 300Posts: 964 Golden Tee

So who has a youtube channel with an iron byron, and all heads and shafts? They will use YOUR favorite ball and tee for each possible combo. That is where the real data is.

Posted:
    Have fun - ready golf - repair/replace divots & ball marks - FORE! as needed

Advertisement

Don't forget they need to test each swing speed incrementally in 0.25mph windows from 60mph to 140mph, all angles of attack from -20* to +20*, all club paths from +20* in-out to -20* out-in in 0.1* increments, all possible lengths from 38" to 48", with 0.1 point swing weight increases from A0 to F9. And this is of course using every shaft ever manufactured from your most rinky-dink no name to the most heavy hitters, in 1/16" tipping increments. They would then need to repeat all of the above tests utilizing every square mm of the club face, including the crown. Just to be completely thorough, they really should also stockpile every driver ever made, even home made, just to be sure.

Possible data set: billions, even trillions of combinations.

Only outcome: Confusion, but you would find your perfect driver after about 50 years of testing.

Edit: I forgot to add every grip possible, with varying taping. Everything from 0 layers to something insane like Bubba taping on junior grips to Jumbo Max Oversized.

Posted:

• mosesgolfmosesgolf Members  7055WRX Points: 325Posts: 7,055 Titanium Tees

**** results seem to indicate that the Ping G410 LST is best combo of length and forgiveness and the G410 Plus 2nd.

The longest/fastest driver will vary from player to player. Give me the most accurate.

On a personal level nothing has touched the Ping G400 MAX, G410 LST/+ for combined length, forgiveness and accuracy.

Longest were 2017 M1 and 19 M5s. Taylormade bad misses go to next fairway while the Pings stay in play.

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 10.5 Project X Stiff
    Ping Rapture 3 Wood
    Ping G410 17 Hybrid Alta 70 Stiff
    Ping G410 22 Hybrid Alta 70 Stiff
    Ping G410 5-AW Modus 120 x
    Ping Glide Forged 56
    Ping Glide Forged 60
    Ping UG-LE Putter
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX  11751WRX Points: 1,455Handicap: 7Posts: 11,751 ClubWRX

We should just have a vote to tell Matt what combo to play....

Posted:
    GBB Ventus Black 6
    F9 Tour 3w-Ventus black 7
    F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
    F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 
    Mavrik Pro 5-A TT Elevate 
    MD5 53/58
    Toulon Portland Garage 
    TM TP5X 

Advertisement

Any of you follow txg and see where Matt's driver choice has gone?

He ditched mav for mav sz and then in their recent 2man scramble video he ditched the sz for his g410lst because he couldn't keep the sz on the planet.

Wonder what that says about how the bracket challenge was conducted...

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.