***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

TXG Bracket results: How fast is the Mavrik!?

13»

Comments

• driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members  1569WRX Points: 346Handicap: 0.0Posts: 1,569 Platinum Tees

Yeah I just saw this, the Mavrik line is great, but if you struggle for contact consistency, it is not great. The SZ mavrik is even worse. The Mav Max is a hook machine when I tried it.

You know I used to give Rick Shiels crap about how he picked his bag, and finally he has decided that consistency over length is how he was gonna choose his driver this year. He even took the finalists on the course, vs. playing simulator and he ended up choosing the Speedzone Extreme.

Hey I get it, I tried the SIM, Mav SZ and others. I thought that the length with the SIM I could get dialed in on the consistency. That was a big NO for me dog. So I am going back and looking at the SIM Max and Speedzone Extreme and the Ping LST.

Posted:
    Driver - Ping G400 Max on Tour 75 shaft
    Fairway - TM M5 on Project X HZRDOUS Yellow
    Hybrid - Ping G400 on Tour shaft
    Irons - (5) Cobra Speed Zone on Project X Catalyst 100
    Irons - (6) Srixon 565 on Recoil 110
    Irons (7-W) Srixon 765 on Recoil 110
    Wedges - Cleveland CB2 50* and 54*, Cleveland RTX 4 58* and 62* all on UST Recoil 110
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylor Made Spider Tour
    Ball - Srixon Z Star or Z Star XV
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10876WRX Points: 3,984Handicap: 8Posts: 10,876 ClubWRX

I think it just shows that golf is not played on a launch monitor.

Once your outside and have to hit a target you tighten up, or get short, or whatever. Your swing is not the same. You also cannot edit out 25% of your swings. I found it interesting that he was much slower, with tons more spin outside. 164 ball speeds and spin over 3000 with the driver.

It is not so much about the club.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3814WRX Points: 718Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,814 Titanium Tees

Agree 100%. I've always used launch monitors to eliminate lofts, heads, etc and then take the potential winners on course to demo. It's also what's driven me to be a firm believer in CoG adjustability...more heel/toe than front/back.

Posted:
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members  661WRX Points: 190Posts: 661 Golden Tee

That high spin drive was with the Ping and was a fade. They didn’t show the numbers for the hooks with the Mavrik.

I think TXG is awesome and the GCQuad is IMO the best all round LM, but IMO Foresight's juiced distance on low spin driver shots leads to terrible driver fittings.

Foresight users think they are giving up way more distance than they really are on their good shots by going from say 2000-2100 RPM to 2500-2600. Matt’s miss is off the toe and then that 2100 can quickly become 1300-1500 and dive into the bush. The higher spin driver would still spin close to 2K off the toe and wouldn’t punish him nearly as much. I bet he would swing much more freely and faster on course with a more forgiving setup.

Another classic example of this is Rick Shiels. His ideal numbers chart in his reviews is 2000 to 2250 RPM. Not nearly enough for someone whose miss is a hook and he misses plenty of the planet left on the course (way more than someone of his ability should and it’s just silly driver fitting IMO)

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10876WRX Points: 3,984Handicap: 8Posts: 10,876 ClubWRX

I agree. It all just goes back to my point that gold is not played on a launch monitor. And you can’t edit out the shots you don’t like.

Posted:
  • JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members  572WRX Points: 229Handicap: 6.4Posts: 572 Golden Tee

ive played all 3 of those drivers and I gotta say, surprisingly, the Xtreme has blown me away....I still gravitate towards the SIM Max bc Im a big TM fan and get the new line every year. it looks better, sounds better, feels better... but the Xtreme performs better for me

hands down the most forgiving and playable driver ive ever used. Shaft choice with the Xtreme is key tho bc ive seen plenty of peoples opinions saying it launches too high or spins too much. Ive found it takes away the sub 2000 knuckle ball. I have a Ventus Black in it right now and its extremely accurate.

I didnt give the g410 LST enough of a chance. bought it with the stock 75g even flow black shaft that doesnt suit me at all. Both the Max and Xtreme ive tried multiple shafts dialing it in but I would not be surprised one bit if I gave the same attention to the LST that it would perform equally if not even better

oh and started the year with the Mav SZ...sold in 2 weeks

Posted:

TM SIM Max 9* ..Ventus Black 60x
    TM SIM 3w 16* ..Ventus Blue 70x / Accra Tour Z RPG 372
    Cobra Forged Tec U 2i .. SteelFiber 110x
    New Level 623 4 - P ..KBS C-Taper 120
    Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50,56,60 ..KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    SWAG Savage Tour Proto

Advertisement
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera Members  5913WRX Points: 526Handicap: -.6Posts: 5,913 Titanium Tees

It's funny how a lot of guys are returning to the Ping driver(s)...

Posted:
    JBeam BM-435 Blackout 9* Accra TZ6 65 M5
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* 3WD & 18* 5WD Accra TourZ 382 M5
    Exotics CBX 22* Hybrid Accra TZ5-95H M5 or
    Exotics CB2  21* 7WD Accra TZ5 85 M5  or
    Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 19* Speeder 904HB X
    PING S55 5-P Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
    Chikara V1 Proto 51, 55, 59 KBS Tour X (8-iron)
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3814WRX Points: 718Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,814 Titanium Tees

With ping's typical slant toward forgiveness, the 410 line was huge in that it allowed heel/toe CoG adjustability. I likely would have tried sim anyway, but the only reason I didn't end up in a 400lst last year was because I couldn't move CoG to offset the left bias in the head.

Posted:
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX  3114WRX Points: 533Handicap: 7.6Posts: 3,114 ClubWRX

Here’s how bad I am: I almost always keep a Ping driver around as the baseline to test against any other driver. The reason is it seems to always be among the easiest to keep in play so it is the one the others have to beat. Also, the Ping LST heads seem to produce fewer wayward shots for me vs other low-spin heads. I could hit the Rogue SZ far, but accuracy was less consistent.

Posted:
    Ping G30 SFT driver, 10 degree, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75 stiff
    Cobra F9 Speedback, 14.5 degree, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Callaway Epic Flash, 17 degree, HzRDUS Smoke 70 stiff
    Callaway Rogue, 21 degree, Diamana BF 80 stiff
    TaylorMade GAPR Hi 24, KBS TGI 80 stiff

Srixon z765 (5-7(, z965 (8-P) Fujikura 95i TS stiff
    Callaway MD4 50 S grind, 54 W grind
    Ben Hogan Ft. Worth TK 58
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line putter w/Pure grip
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1737WRX Points: 1,007Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,737 Platinum Tees

I think we all knew the standard Mavrik was going to be a bad fit LM dream. Their numbers on course don't even touch the numbers we consistently see in their studio. As Quig has pointed out, golf isn't played on a launch monitor, real life is what matters and their playing on course kind of exposed that reality is vastly different to all of their viewers...

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

I just watched the video again and find it interesting how many shots they cut out.. Ian would hit off a par three miss king then the cut to that ball or Matt would hit them cut to his ball. Do they not want us to see them spray it like normal people?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1737WRX Points: 1,007Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,737 Platinum Tees

I think they are much more "human" than most people think, it's easy on edited video in a studio to look like a world class ball striker, or to tee it high and let it fly with zero repercussions...

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

Probably has a time element more than anything else. They get paid via views and some of the view pay stats are tied to full view of videos rather than partial views...I think.

So, a longer video wouldn't get as many full views. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Posted:
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers  2895WRX Points: 409Posts: 2,895 Titanium Tees

My biggest take from the video is that I am far better at golf than I thought I was.

Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Artisan 46*, 50* C taper X
    • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Maybe. They are solid single digit handicaps from what I can tell. -1 through 9 holes in a two man scramble is not going to win you many events.

Posted:
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers  652WRX Points: 317Handicap: 3Posts: 652 Golden Tee

My miss is on the toe with a closed club face as well. I can tell you, for me twist face helps. I know for some that have a toe miss with an open or square face that twist face is actually worse. But if I am fitting someone who misses on the toe with a closed face i am putting them in a Sim first.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tour 65 Stiff
    Ping G410 3wd @ 15.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 7wd @ 19.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50*, 56* @ 55, 60* Modus 105 Stiff
    Evnroll TR8 33"

Advertisement
  • spring7spring7 Members  774WRX Points: 149Posts: 774 Golden Tee

I changed from the SIM to the Speedzone Extreme last week, I may never see that huge deep ball again, but I am in the fairway more often. I had the same problem with the OG Epic

Posted:
    Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* HZDRUS Smoke Yellow 60
    Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana 70+ Blue
    Titleist 816H1 21* Diamana 80+ H
    Titleist U510 2i HZDRUS Black Smoke 80
    5i-PW New Level 1126 DG105 **Being Built**
    Cleveland CBX 51*&55* DG115
    Cleveland RTX4 60* DGS400
    Taylor Made Mullen 2
    Titleist AVX

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9791WRX Points: 1,674Posts: 9,791 Titanium Tees

Indoors with nothing on the line vs outdoors shooting for a score. Not really apples to apples.

If you don't like how they conduct testing... Don't watch?? Or start your own channel and do it yourself? You're clearly hung up about this.

Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Spider X or Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers  8221WRX Points: 1,412Handicap: +1.5 (1194646)Posts: 8,221 Titanium Tees

before all the bashing of SIM -- should realize that if you cut the driver down about an inch, ya'll would hit it better. 45.75" for a stock length is wayy too long. with the right shaft it's a beast.

Posted:

SIM / 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / RIPx 65TX tipped 2" playing 44.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Well, not really. Was just interesting to see the progression of the indoor "fit" to today and to see that he's not playing the driver that won the bracket...

I do still think they can tweak how the bracket winner is decided because the "clear" winner of the bracket is a "clear" dud on the course but you could tell that was going to happen based on the dud shots they pulled out of the indoor test.

I wonder what his outdoor driving would look like with cobra sz extreme or sim max...or sim, with it's heel/toe CoG adjustability.

Posted:
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members  3843WRX Points: 742Handicap: 3.0Posts: 3,843 Titanium Tees

He's just not very consistent which is a product of his swing and not whichever driver he uses. They make him look like a superhuman indoors with some clever editing, because it is entertaining to watch. It's like WWE in a way.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    TaylorMade Sim Max Rescue 19° w/ HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 3-9 w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 48°,53°,58° w/ DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 34"

Advertisement
  • DrivingrangeheroDrivingrangehero Members  219WRX Points: 119Posts: 219 Fairways

A few years back I was 3-4 mph ball speed Higher with the Callaway XR16 driver than the rest of the offerings, but least consistent as well. What good is 10-15 more yards if it’s in the rough? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I ended up with a Ping G30 ls tec because it was tightest dispersion, but shorter than the XR 16 and the TM M1.

some clubs just work for individuals better than others. I don’t get along with Callaway Drivers at all, but love their Hybrids. I liked the Epic Flash SZ better than the Maverik personally.

Up until the SIM, I didn’t care for many TM drivers either. I have played Titleist, Titleist Cleveland, Nike, Titleist, Ping, and Ping, over the past few years, so I’m not sold on a particular brand, just results. The only major manufacturer I haven’t bagged in 30 years of golf is Taylormade....... not once. That could change in a few years though, if they keep putting out more drivers like the SIM!

My bag is a mix of Ping, Adams, Callaway, Titleist, and Mizuno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to each their own I guess!

Posted:

• GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members  661WRX Points: 190Posts: 661 Golden Tee

To be fair to them, I don't doubt that they are both legit scratches (as they say they are) although the editing definitely makes it look like they could be on Tour. If you look at the shot counter, Matt will sometimes nuke say 5 consecutive 3 woods with 165 BS and hit them straight. Show me a 5 handicap that can do that, even indoors on a sim.

I just think they fit borderline/unstable drivers due to Foresight's low spin distance calculation "bug" (or "optimism" if I'm charitable). If they're not swinging at their best on course then driver is all over the show, which then makes their iron play look worse than it is because they're playing out of the gunch. Looks like they played much better in the second part of their Vlog.

I would love to see Matt fitted into a fade biased driver that launched 11-12 degrees at 2500-2600 RPM. Something like a G410 plus (not LST) 10.5, maybe lofted down to 9.5 with the weight in the fade position and/or flat lie angle. GCQuad would go "Reeeeeeeeee" and say he's losing 25 yards but I bet real life would be so much better.

Posted:
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2718WRX Points: 1,757Handicap: 3Posts: 2,718 Titanium Tees

I just hit Mavrik and was blown away by how good it was. I'm going to get one to test on course vs my Ping G410 LST 100%. Longest and most forgiving driver I've ever hit

Posted:

▪️ Ping G410 LST 9* PX Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5X

▪️ Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 70x

▪️ Titleist 818 H1 @18* PX Hzrdus HC Black 85g

▪️ Miura CB-57 4-7, Miura MB-001 8-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

▪️ Vokey Forged 52F 56M | Vokey TVD 56M 58K 60K | Taylormade Hi-Toe 60ATV | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 (Change based on bag and course)

▪️ Byron Morgan DH89 34.75" Custom

▪️ Titleist Pro V1X | Srixon Z-Star XV | Taylormade TP5X

▪️ Ping Hoofer

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers  2574WRX Points: 782Handicap: 0.9Posts: 2,574 Titanium Tees

No.

I personally have no idea how anyone can hit the Mavrik without adding some heft to the head weight. It feels like there is nothing on the end of the shaft on the standard or subzero versions.

It sounds better than the Epic Flash, but not sure performance wise the Mavrik is an actual improvement.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • mgoblue83mgoblue83 Members  409WRX Points: 207Handicap: 2Posts: 409 Greens

Agree with everything especially the problems GCQuad has with high speed/low spin shots. During the driver bracket Matt was essentially hitting the same low spin duck hooks that he was hitting in the recent scramble video but the GCQuad was reading them as high draw bombs. He may swing slightly different and/or slower outside but most of those shots on the GCQuad in the bracket would be unplayable outside regardless.

On a related note the swing changes hes working on (and the crap Larry had him doing) look terrible. He's so laid off and toe up that he better have perfect face timing or he won't even be able to hit a green with a wedge. Ian is way more consistent because his upright swing keeps his club face square much longer through impact.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Kale_mKale_m Members  2471WRX Points: 528Posts: 2,471 Platinum Tees

Sub zero driver paired with a toe miss (like Matt has) is a bad combo. Just a bunch of 1300 rpm duck hooks. I had the same prob. Had to get rid of my sub zero driver for just that reason.

get something thAt is low spin (2200-2300 at Matt’s speed) out the middle and can still retain some of that spin out the toe to keep it in the air.

Posted:
    Taylormade Sim 9* (9.75*) Accra tour Z RPG 472 m5+
    Titleist TS3 15* Synergy green proto 80tx
    Titleist U500 2 iron Aerotech HLS 980 xstiff
    Taylormade p750 4-PW
    Callaway md4 52/56/ 60
    Scotty Cameron 2012 Newport 2
  • RacineBoxerRacineBoxer Members  903WRX Points: 178Handicap: 5Posts: 903 Golden Tee

I did a fitting at a demo day. Tried 3-4 different shafts, tried the standard, the sub zero and max heads. Couldn't beat my 2014 Cobra BioCell. So frustrating because I really want to get a new driver (and I already have Epic Flash 3W/5W in the evenflow shaft that I really like). The main problem I was having was that I was leaving everything out to the right. Picking up a couple mph's in ball speed is nice but was cancelled out by being off line. I think it was just my swing or my familiarity with the BioCell (and ability to get it on line). The search will continue.

Posted:
  • RacineBoxerRacineBoxer Members  903WRX Points: 178Handicap: 5Posts: 903 Golden Tee

I'm 100% sure I've heard Matt say that the lowest he's ever been was a 2 handicap. Hasn't made scratch (unless he just did within the past 6 months).

It's crazy because I'm that 5 handicap that you refer to. And no I can't rip a bunch of 3 woods off the deck hitting straight bombs where you're throwing a blanket over them. But I can hit 5 in a row that are all between 240-255, a few left and a few right, with none off the fairway by more than 5 yards. I watch Matt's driver fitting videos and it seems he's playing a completely different game than me and my paltry 270 drives (maybe hit an occasional one in the 290's if it's down hill and the fairways are hard - LOL). To watch those videos I'd think he's close to 10-15 shots better than me. I think his upside is way higher than mine, but his downside (due to being offline) is much more "average". I can play 18 holes with one golf ball (sometimes/often). I think that alone might be what keeps me within 3-5 shots of a player with his ballstriking ability.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members  6852WRX Points: 98Handicap: 9.8Posts: 6,852 Titanium Tees

The standard Mavrik is not a high MOI head. AI said, "uh, no." So many factors in designing a head - MOI is not be all, end all.

I bought a Mavrik for my son and it feels like you can swing that club fast - the feel/sound is far superior to my G400 Max. I enjoy my G400 Max, but it feels like a clunker compared to the std Mavrik. Have not had time to compare the two in performance.

Posted:
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● Exotics EXS 220 16.5 wd, 19 Hy, PXG 22 Hy ● Mizuno HotMetalPro 5i/Accra i70 ● Mizuno 919F 6-PW/Accra i80 ● Mizuno MP T20 48, 53, 58 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 ● SeeMore Nashville

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.