Open, Closed, or Square face Driver?

BNgolf70 ·  
BNgolf70BNgolf70 Members  19WRX Points: 10Posts: 19 Bunkers

I've been reading on some of the posts in the forum about different face angles for drivers. Just wondering what everyone prefers and is it more about promoting a certain flight or reducing the chance of a undesired flight?

Posted:

Comments

• Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members  5874WRX Points: 411Handicap: 8Posts: 5,874 Titanium Tees

For Drivers, I couldn't care less. I prefer to aim the clubface and FA doesn't matter if you do that.

On fairway woods though, I prefer an open face angle so that the trailing part of the sole of the clubhead does not contact the ground when playing off tight lies or when I'm wanting to fade the ball.

BT

Posted:
    Test Bag
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* - Diamana "Flowerband" Whiteboard 73 S @ 44.5"
    Mizuno ST190 14.5 - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 43"
    Epic Flash Heavenwood 19* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 42"
    Mizuno JPX EZ (grey) 4-pw - Matrix Program F15 S SSx1
    Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
    Grips - Master Grip Master Perforated Midsize

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Dan DrakeDan Drake Members  2154WRX Points: 355Handicap: 1.3Posts: 2,154 Platinum Tees

This is completely player dependent.

Some golfers, when given a closed faced club, will get put off by it (react to it negatively) and will start making an even more slice producing swing. They will hate it.

Other golfers will "allow" the more closed face to start the ball a little bit more left for them and will love it.

The same goes for stiffer shafts, heavier shafts, offset, and virtually every single other component of club fitting. Sure, there are some very good guidelines to go by. But in the end, you have to try a little bit of everything to determine what you like and how you react to different things.

Also, you can fit to mitigate a miss, or you can fit to accentuate a miss, thus making sure the golfer HAS to make the correct in swing movements, which hopefully will create some commitment on the golfer's part. It's a ballsy move by a fitter or pro, but its something I have done. Take a slicer and open his driver up so much that it slices off the face of the earth if they don't commit to an inside path and better release. Now, I wouldn't suggest they go out and play in the Club Championship with it set like that, but for learning, it can be one tool to utilize.

As always, your mileage may vary here. Try out an adjustable driver and see where you like it.

Posted:
    Mavrik SZ 9.5° w/AD BB
    Epic Flash 15° w/Rogue M•AX
    X Forged UT 18° w/VS Proto (Super Hybrid inbound)
    X Forged UT 22° w/PX
    Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
    PM Grind 2.0 55° w/PX & PM Grind 1.0 60.5° w/DG
    Odyssey #1 White Hot
    171831.png
  • Metro-PAMetro-PA Members  145WRX Points: 45Handicap: 4Posts: 145 Fairways

Square to slightly open is preferred.... anything with a draw bias is a no go.

Posted:
  • gvogelgvogel Members  8332WRX Points: 1,227Posts: 8,332 Titanium Tees

I happen to like a slightly closed face. I also happen to like to play a draw.

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • ZASZAS Members  40WRX Points: 32Posts: 40 Bunkers

I've always preferred clubs square at address and make adjustments from there

Posted:

2007 TM Burner TP 8.5º REAX 65 TP X Stiff 
    2007 TM Burner TP Tour Spoon 13º REAX Superfast 75 TP Stiff
    2007 TM Burner TP 5 Wood 17.5º REAX Superfast 75 TP Stiff
    2016 TM M2 7 Wood 24º Fujikura Fuel Tour 70 Stiff
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 #6 Hybrid 28º Fujikura Exotics Fuel Tour 70 Stiff
    Cleveland 588 Altitude 5 iron・24º 6 iron・27º 7 iron・31º 8 iron・35º Fujikura Pro 95i Stiff 
    iDrive 40º Hybrid Fujikura Pro 95i Regular
    Ping Tour Gorge 47º SS and 56º WS Fujikura Pro 95i Stiff
    Ping Anser 2 putter 
    B-1 Bomber One Iron Boron/Hi-Modulus Graphite Regular tree/desert/rock/tarmac/punch utility
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers  2844WRX Points: 283Posts: 2,844 Titanium Tees

Need square to open face and no draw bias.Having one fade bias Fairway is very useful for me.Smooth swing needs Smooth shafts.

Posted:
    2020  17May 

Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
    Cleveland Launcher FL 3wd
    with 60gram PLPlatinum
    Titleist 904F 7wd steelshaft

MP100=33  pw 98765

54 SM Vokey 2006
    60 RTX2
    ProPlatinumMidSLT

17May back at Range
    re learning to hit a ball again
    rusty but accurate.

Advertisement
  • Miles of LiefMiles of Lief Members  201WRX Points: 47Handicap: 2Posts: 201 Fairways

I hate closed face clubs. I had a Titleist 3 wood that was closed face and I would always square the face at address first and then grip the club. Now I only buy clubs with square faces.

Posted:
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3704WRX Points: 263Posts: 3,704 Titanium Tees

Open . Severe dislike for closed face clubs. Looks unnatural.

Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Titleist SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7 
    Ping Anser 6 Milled Putter
  • pmangpmang Mason City, IowaMembers  404WRX Points: 158Posts: 404 Greens
    Posted:
    Mavrik 10.5* Rogue White 60 S
    Titleist TS2 18* 5 Wood Tensei AV65 S
    Titleist TS2 4 Hybrid Tensei AV70 S 
    Ping i210 5-UW DG 105 S
    Titleist SM7 54* & 58* 
    Taylormade Spider X 34”
    ProV1
  • Twin2LTwin2L Members  346WRX Points: 241Handicap: 12Posts: 346 Greens

2-3* open on 3W and 2-3* open and 2* flat on driver. Goal is to play a straight to slight fade and eliminate the lefts.

Posted:
    It matters not what others call you. What you choose to answer to identifies who you are.

Wishon 919THI  11* S2S Black 65 S
    Wishon 929HS  14* S2S White S
    Wishon 775HS   21* S2S Black Hybrids S
    Wishon 575MMC Forged 4-A Superlight steel S
    PING Glide 3.0 Eye2  54* & 60*
    Wishon S2R #1 milled face putter
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3604WRX Points: 565Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,604 Titanium Tees

Square

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX  3552WRX Points: 430Handicap: +1Posts: 3,552 ClubWRX

Has to be square for me. Open or closed just plays with my mind.

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM max driver 
    TaylorMade  M6 3 wood
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    TaylorMade p770 3-pw
    TaylorMade Hi MG2 52/58 wedges 
    Scotty Cameron Newport
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members  3504WRX Points: 161Handicap: 3.3Posts: 3,504 Titanium Tees

My preference is slight open face with driver and 3w...

Posted:
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, GD Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 33.25" with Scotty Custom Black Pistolero grip, Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up blacked out Pingman Grip
    Bridgestone Tour XS (Tiger Edition) and new Pro V1
  • St JimmySt Jimmy Members  590WRX Points: 208Handicap: 8Posts: 590 Golden Tee

I have a tendency to grip strong with my woods so for that reason an open face usually has a pretty straight ball flight for me.

I tend to hook closed faced clubs.

Posted:
    G400 LST
    G410 LST 3 Wood
    Apex 19 3 hybrid
    CB-57 3-PW
    Y Grind 51
    Miura 55
    PM Grind 60
    Scotty Golo 3
  • PingistheanserPingistheanser Columbus, OHMembers  324WRX Points: 212Handicap: 10Posts: 324 Greens

I prefer square. My normal driver flight is a slight fade, so I try to start the ball on the left side of the fairway and let it fade back to the middle or to the right side of the fairway. With a closed face driver, I get pulls and with an open face driver my fade becomes a slice.

Posted:
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members  2546WRX Points: 437Posts: 2,546 Titanium Tees

It's personal preference. For me, it's square. That way, if the club is not behaving properly I can only blame myself, not the club.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

Advertisement
  • Tar_Heel_93Tar_Heel_93 Members  87WRX Points: 44Posts: 87 Fairways

slightly open face works best for me. Square is face is ok, closed doesn't work.

Posted:

Titleist 917 D3 9.5(set to 10.25); Aldila Tour Green ATX 75 X-stiff Shaft

Titleist 917 F3 15; Aldila Tour Green ATX 85 X-stiff Stiff shaft

Cobra F6 2/3 Hybrid Aldila Tour Green ATX 85 X-stiff Stiff shaft

Titleist 818 H1 21 degree hybrid Tensei Pro white stiff shaft

Callaway Apex MB 4-AW irons; Project X 6.0 shafts

Callaway MD Forged 54 wedge

Odyssey ProType Tour Series #2 Putter

• SMUGamerSMUGamer Members  712WRX Points: 175Posts: 712 Golden Tee

I despise closed face clubs - can tolerate square, but much prefer an open face angle by 2* or more so I can release as hard as I want without fear of going left. With a square face I still feel the need to hold off the club through impact to avoid going left. Closed face angle is just a non-starter, it wont be found in my bag.

Posted:
    Post edited by SMUGamer on
  • Sleeky_DSleeky_D ClubWRX  105WRX Points: 28Handicap: 24Posts: 105 ClubWRX

This actually helped me out A TON. So much now that I actually prefer a slightly opened face angle because a closed face angle promotes a more out-to-in swing path for me now.

Posted:
  • buckeyewaltbuckeyewalt Members  159WRX Points: 95Handicap: 13Posts: 159 Fairways

Sometimes a square clubface can look slightly open to me, IDK, but either way I prefer a square clubface to on that is slightly open.

Posted:
  • pat_katopat_kato ClubWRX  178WRX Points: 157Posts: 178 ClubWRX

I recently bought the Taylormade SIM Max in a 9 degree loft and lofted it up to 10 so it would be a bit more closed. I liked the results I was getting.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 9º Ventus Black 6s Stiff Flex
    Fairway: TaylorMade SIM Max 3 Wood Ventus Blue 7s Stiff Flex
    Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM MAX 3H Ventus Blue 6s Flex
    Irons: Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-P True Temper Dynalite 105 Stiff Flex
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 52º F Grind, 56º M Grind, 60º M Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Advertisement
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3503WRX Points: 1,567Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,503 Titanium Tees

I used to prefer a closed face and it was a great sort of training aid for me. As a junior I would roll the club face very open in the backswing which created the need for a lot of rotation coming down to get it back to square. As someone with really fast hips this meant a right miss was common because I didn't have enough time to square the club. A closed face helped with this and gave me confidence. Fast forward to late teens/early twenties and I had eliminated the excessive club face opening in the backswing, but still struggled with the old pattern of the aggressive release to square the club face in the downswing. Ironically, the closed club face helped me here too because it basically trained me to calm that flippy release, otherwise the ball would always go hard left. That led to a few years of a more upright swing with a neutral to closed club face and a hard turn hitting a hold off fade/power fade, where the closed club face helped get that "hold off" feeling. But that became one extreme that was the opposite of where I was as a junior, and as I worked to neutralize all of that, I slowly started to favor a more neutral to slightly open club face with the driver and an open face with the 3w and 5w.

The important thing about all that mess, to echo what @Dan Drake said above, is that its specific to ME. At any point a long that way it could have easily been opposite for someone else. And also the point about intentionally setting up the club to make your miss WORSE was something that worked as it did force me to fix a swing flaw. Figuring out whether you then need to or want to change away from that is another tricky issue.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6058WRX Points: 1,500Handicap: 3Posts: 6,058 Titanium Tees

Square for me every time. I like to know that if a shot is going left or right too much that it was because of me and not the way that the club is set up. If I were a choice between open and closed, it would be open. I can deal with the ball going right but hate to see it going left.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 712U 3 Stiff Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • ShallowfaceShallowface Members  1584WRX Points: 305Posts: 1,584 Platinum Tees

Open. Having grown up with wooden clubs (most of which were made 2 degrees open as standard), even square looks closed to me.

I can square or close open faced clubs for shotmaking purposes, but I have a difficult time opening square or closed face clubs. Same as with wedges, where my preference is to start with a 60 degree and hood or close it as necessary. I don't play a lot of open faced pitches because I'm just not very good at it.

Posted:
  • golfkrzy10golfkrzy10 Members  174WRX Points: 126Posts: 174 Fairways

Open fo sho.... anything with a closed/ draw bias is a no go.

Posted:

10 Club Modern Minimalist Set-Up (trackman gap fitting, 15 yard gaps up top, 25 yard gaps down low)

Srixon Black Sunday/ Stick bags (looking for the red one still!! PM if you want to sell!)

Srixon 565 9.5 (goes in both bags) and a Yeti full of bourbon & Ice (split/ combo set-up- forgiveness where I need it and playability where I want it)

Evens (even day): Titleist 915 F 15*- Titleist 818 H2 19*- Srixon u65 4-23*- Srixon 565 6-31*- Srixon 765 8-38*- Srixon 965 PW-46*

Cleveland RTX-3 Tour Raw 52, 60, Cleveland TA Milled 2

Odds (odd day): Titleist 915 F 13.5*- Titleist 818 H2 17*- Srixon u65 3-20*- Srixon 565 5-27*- Srixon 765 7-34*- Srixon 965 9-42*

Cleveland RTX-3 Tour Raw 50, 60, Cleveland TA Milled 2

Glove/ Ball: Srixon Red Z/ Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.