2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Can you use existing irons to make a single length set?

J295

The simple answer is no becausethe weighting of the clubheads is different with OL irons. The heads of the long irons will be heavier than a traditional iron and the heads of the short irons are usually lighter to compensate for the the longer or shorter shafts of traditional length irons.

But this has to be done correctly and proportionately to get correct gapping. Just throwing weight anywhere on a club will not work because moving the weight around can change the flight characteristics.

• Like 1

I'm far from an expert, but I believe it comes down to the heads. In a SL set, the manufacturers have to manipulate the weight, COG, etc to get ideal launch and spins numbers.

In other words, say for example Cobra, they don't just cut all the shafts the same length and use the same heads. There are 2 different heads for the regular and the SL.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly that is more knowledgeable.

Edit: See above, haha I'm too slow

• Like 1

Head weight is the main consideration.

I do my own club building and my most recent set utilizes MP -18 MMC 5-PW and other off the shelf L-S-G wedges

My L-S-G-PW are SL at 36.25”. I had to drill out the hosels in my L and S to reduce head weight to get my desired SW.

I then go in 1/4” increments in my 9, 8, 7 with my 7 being at 37.0”. These swing weighted fine with typical shaft weights.

My 6, 5, 4 are SL at 37.25” which has the 5 with a max 10g tip weight. I wanted to go shorter on the 6, 5, 4 all at 37.0” but didn’t want to resort to lead tape.

Also, different shafts have different SW consequences, so you don’t know what you can achieve until you start. Head weights also have much more variance than the expected 7g per head.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Someone else mentioned 1/4 progression which is something you may want to try. It's not OL but sort of a hybrid of VL and OL. My current irons are 1/4 inch progression from the 6 iron down as I just like to stand taller when I swing. I am using MP 18s which I could bend for loft and lie adjustments. Would not do this with a cast club.

Also went with a hard stepped NS Pro shaft as it has more counter balance, which worked well in the short irons and kept weights in line. 4-7 however required adding some more head weight to balance out with that same shaft. Suppose I could have used two different shafts for this but shaft tip weights and lead tape worked fine too as I don't mind the look of lead tape.

Unless you want a season-long science project, no.

I have tried a couple of Cobra SL iron sets. Even though the iron heads are designed to mesh with single-length shafts, the 4-5-6 iron bunched up on yardage - not much of a gap. And, the wedges felt uncomfortable - as in too long a shaft.Note: Some SL players have a second SL for wedges, such as playing all wedges at a more traditional 35.5".

Conceptually I can see the set-up benefit in not having such a range in iron shaft lengths. I just can't adjust physically. Thus, I would suggest that current beginners who start with SL clubs will expand the market size for SLs.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I made a nice SL set 5-GW using Wishon 752 heads. Added weight to the lower lofts and drilled out weight from the 9 & wedges. Lie adjustment was no problem. The set performed great.

If starting with complete clubs, the shafts would not be “all 7 irons.”

A good cheap way to try SL would be from Gigagolf.com

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

That sounds really interesting. Thank you. Questions …

If I want to try and do this myself where is a good source to purchase the necessary equipment and supplies? I’m thinking about this because I think it might be fun to learn a new skill. I have no idea if it will be more or less expensive than having someone else do it, although I hope it’s not terribly more expensive. I assume there are some good online sources to learn about club specifications, but any that can be recommended would be helpful. By this I mean, if I were to take a set of stock iron heads and some KBS shafts I would need help figuring out how to set the lie and loft and weighting for each club if I were doing 1/4 inch increments…Other insights?

I buy a lot of my stuff at this point from Golfworks. They have a good selection of everything you would need. As far as what you would need to do this, it really all comes down to how much of this you plan on doing, how much you want to spend, and how much space you have. You can honestly do most club repair work with a bench vise, a utility knife with roofing (hooked) blades and straight blades, a torch, a hacksaw to cut graphite shafts, a metal pipe cutter for steel shafts, a 48 inch ruler, some sand paper and small wire brushes for hosel cleaning, and a hand drill. From here you can get faster, bigger, and more expensive depending on what you are doing but this will give you the basic tools. Then you just need the bits and pieces; epoxy, grip tape, ferrules, shaft tip weights (for this project), grip solvent (or mineral spirits etc).

For a project like this you would also want a gram scale to measure component weights, and the splurge would be a swing weight scale if you wanted that info.

As far as where to get component info, you can look at OEM websites, Golfworks again has many specs for their own heads which can be a useful guide to apply to whatever iron heads. There are also some good 3rd party shaft info sites like golfshaftreviews.com. And of course this forum has numerous really smart people who can answer most any question you have.

I also have a youtube channel if you're interested, the Mobile Clubmaker. I am always adding new videos on there, but it has videos covering all the basic club building elements. I try and keep it simple and cover what I think is important with some tips etc. I would suggest take a look and see if it seems like something you want to dive into.

WARNING- it becomes addictive!

Valuegolf.com has Pinhawk SL in components (they are great, very spec on with good quality). I also believe DiamondTour.com has SL components and Gigagolf has SL, but in club set, no components.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

• 1 month later...

I'm personally modifying my SW to 9 iron to have 8 iron shaft lengths and am taking into account the head weight, etc. with my limited clubmaking equipment. I Maybe later I will get a 2 length iron set but I believe this will be a good start for now.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.