All the money spent on PROTO putters -

pwrfade ·  
pwrfadepwrfade Members  1105WRX Points: 55Handicap: 12Posts: 1,105 Bunkers
has this ever been discussed
in my field a prototype means it is still in the design phase - and we may not have it actually "right" yet - and we are testing it to refine it further - if this is the case with putters why in the world would someone pay huge money on something that may not be at its best final design configuration for optimal use?
Posted:

Comments

• GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator  27118WRX Points: 462Posts: 27,118 Marshals
    In golf, proto = Tour Only = designs not normally available to the public. Either for lack of demand for a mass production run or for experimentation purposes. Either way, its something most other people will not have. These words get abused by marketing folks but besides a circle T stamp, I really don't know anything else that will add extreme $$$ to a putter.
    Posted:
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
    BST AD Help
    If you have a general help question, post here:
    GolfWRX Website Help Desk
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • xxioxxio Cebu, PhilippinesMembers  5836WRX Points: 291Posts: 5,836 Titanium Tees
    It still comes down to supply and demand.

You can stamp tour all you want on a putter but you still have to get demand. Some puttermakers can create that demand on name alone. When that happens they will of course keep $$upply down.
    Posted:
  • 59Bassman59Bassman Members  241WRX Points: 0Posts: 241
    Not that I own or plan to own a "Proto" putter, but buying a prototype putter is a bit different than say a prototype car - not much to go wrong with putters, and not much new technology creating changes. If the weight or balance changes from the "proto" to the OTR version, you might prefer the way the "proto" swings more. It's not like putters are prone to failure, right?
    Posted:
  • jickjick Members  1151WRX Points: 223Posts: 1,151 Platinum Tees
    Even shafts, driver heads, and other golf stuff have been stamped "proto" even if they are production, mass-market models. It's just the new buzzword now, just like "tour" used to be the buzzword of yesteryears.
    Posted:
  • HeadonaStickHeadonaStick FloridaMembers, ClubWRX  5406WRX Points: 172Posts: 5,406 Titanium Tees
    59Bassman wrote on Jul 25 2008, 06:46 AM:
    [...]

It's not like putters are prone to failure, right?

Really? You should have been with me this morning. Failure? How about "catastrophic failure?"
    Posted:
  • JDorflerJDorfler Members  1411WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,411
    Interesting little thought about the whole "tour" and "proto" name stamping on putters and other golf equipment. To be honest, I use what works and looks good to me. Heck, I used to use a SUMO^2. How's that for a name? Sumo, a big fat guy that runs as fast as he can into another big fat guy after throwing salt on the fighting surface. Gotta use what works.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • RollitinRollitin Members  48WRX Points: 0Posts: 48
    Prototype is a progressive metal/thrash metal band from the United States, with at least two of its members from Los Angeles.
    Posted:
  • tariqtariq Members  248WRX Points: 0Posts: 248
    this is my take on golfs' "protos"

there are times when a design may 'infringe' on another design, but the tour player may request a putter/itons they used prior.

these never see production cos then IT WILL be a copy

this is just my opinion...does not have any truths at all
    Posted:
  • jtitleist12jtitleist12 Members  3132WRX Points: 245Posts: 3,132 Titanium Tees
    I'd rather have a putter that is 1/10 or 1/5 ever made that doesn't say "Tour" or "Proto" anywhere like this one!

Posted:
  • choeppnerchoeppner Blue Ridge, GACharter Members  10371WRX Points: 110Posts: 10,371 Titanium Tees
    I own a few Prototypes. The reason I collect them, is that I know there won't normally be anyone else with the same putter. Some makers are different, but I know for our company, for a putter to get the prototype stamp there will never be more than 5 of them, and each one of those 5 is just a little different. I hate having the exact same putter as someone else. Just one of my pet peeves.

-Chris
    Posted:
  • frozen_ropefrozen_rope Banned  1987WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,987
    Loads of money is wasted on golf equipment. In the old days it used to be called $1,000 bag and .10 cent swing, though I haven't heard that one in awhile.I put the big spenders in three categories.

1) the guy who mistakenly thinks he can improve his game by buying different equipment, including reshafts.

2) the guy who likes to spend money for instant gratification, the new club arrives and he gets a high for a few minutes when he holds the new club and gives it a few swings.

3) the guy who gets off on having something different from anyone else, including marking up a putter head with engravings and, or, adding weight.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • cbriancbrian Members  2280WRX Points: 55Posts: 2,280 Platinum Tees
    frozen_rope wrote on Oct 4 2008, 01:42 PM:
    Loads of money is wasted on golf equipment. In the old days it used to be called $1,000 bag and .10 cent swing, though I haven't heard that one in awhile.I put the big spenders in three categories.

1) the guy who mistakenly thinks he can improve his game by buying different equipment, including reshafts.

I average 6 or 7 more fairways hit since I put the 6Z in my 905R (Kwokd).. I improved my game to say the least.

Then there was the T.P Mills purchase... I've never putted this well in my life..

The list goes on...
    Posted:
  • bucklomeinbucklomein Members  24WRX Points: 0Posts: 24
    HeadonaStick wrote on Jul 25 2008, 10:58 AM:
    59Bassman wrote on Jul 25 2008, 06:46 AM:
    [...]

It's not like putters are prone to failure, right?

Really? You should have been with me this morning. Failure? How about "catastrophic failure?"

LOL! We've all been there, bro'.

image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fool:' />
    Posted:
  • sharkharksharkhark Members  1691WRX Points: 129Posts: 1,691 Platinum Tees
    I think someone should jump on this as an idea...come out with a model called 'the prototype'....put the word proto all over it and nothing else...no brand name....just proto proto proto..
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.