***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

How much would you pay to play Augusta?

Comments

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers  3836WRX Points: 797Handicap: 8.2Posts: 3,836 Titanium Tees

How difficult is it for crazy rich folks, or celebrities, to play Augusta though? I'd think a lot of these people know enough people to get the opportunity if they wanted it.

Posted:

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • philsRHmanphilsRHman Members  1463WRX Points: 203Posts: 1,463 Platinum Tees

What if we adjust the equation so that it's not about the raw figure, since that's going to be dominated by the rich. Let's say AN decides for the good of the game, they're going to open a true lottery, but it's based on a percentage of your annual salary. Figuring an engagement ring is supposedly 2 month's pay, and the church suggests a tithe based on salary. Where would AN rank?

Another way: If a good trip to Bandon or Scotland is $4K, how many golf trips would you spend for one day on AN (I say a day because you should be able to go around more than once for the money we're talking). Personally, I'd trade 5 trips that I may or may not ever make for one day at AN. I'm a guy who saves up for a few years to take one of those trips so I'm talking about a big investment, but watching the Masters through the years this week I feel confident it would be by far the most memorable 24 hours of my golfing life. In reality, it would last more than a day, between the buildup, the day itself and the aftermath. I would assume I'd fall asleep previewing and then replaying the round for weeks on both sides.

Posted:
  • bowilbury8bowilbury8 Members  236WRX Points: 80Posts: 236 Fairways

I'm surprised they've never done anything like this before. It would be a great way to help their image in these progressive times. Especially now with many people out of work, no shortage of charities that could use some money.

Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9957WRX Points: 1,181Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,957 Titanium Tees

OK forget the celeb-side, on the regular-side 'ol megabucks invest banker or post-IPO techie aren't getting in just cause they are loaded.

Posted:
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9791WRX Points: 1,674Posts: 9,791 Titanium Tees

Based on how many rich people are around and the prestige... I can't imagine the asking bid to enter a raffle to be any less than $10k, maybe even $20k. I'd never pay that... Maybe $1k. Plenty of legendary rounds have been played at public courses such as Pebble, etc and can be had (with out hotel package) for much less than that.

Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Spider X or Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS

• tideridertiderider Members  3204WRX Points: 2,224Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,204 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • RobertPaulsonRobertPaulson Members  52WRX Points: 38Posts: 52 Bunkers

Not a chance - bad optics. I could see them raising money from rich folks to fund trips for first responder folks to play, with money donated to charity for each person as well, but no way they would ever do what you're proposing. Bad look.

I think I would drop $1K on it, not worth more than that to me to play it. Could afford a lot more, but I would rather take that kind of money and treat my buddies to a killer trip to Bandon or something.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,791Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX

Disconnect between the thread title and the actual hypothetical, but no way Augusta National would ever do this.

If it wants to contribute to charities, which it already does, it writes checks - not going to orchestrate a public relations nightmare.

Playing along I guess entering some lottery that might result in me playing with about a 99% chance of just giving away my money - depends on the charity, but maybe $50, maybe. And I'm one of the biggest Masters-ophiles out there.

Now how much would I pay if someone said I could 100% play if I paid "x"? If my dad and daughter can play, too - I'd probably pay a decent sum, but nothing weird -would it be worth twice the fees at Pebble as a guide? Yep, so maybe that's about my limit, but don't tempt me. If just me and not either or both of them I lose interest pretty quickly, so who knows.

Posted:
  • SoILgolferSoILgolfer Members  81WRX Points: 17Handicap: 3Posts: 81 Fairways

$1,000, and I’m with Jetmech on the Par 3 Course being included.

Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14099WRX Points: 2,923Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,099 Titanium Tees

10 grand if I was divorced.

$3k as I am still married … almost 25 years now

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

• whiffwhiff Members  113WRX Points: 71Handicap: 2Posts: 113 Fairways

I would pay a months income. I think that is kind of a universal way to figure across a wide range of incomes.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers  263WRX Points: 174Handicap: 5.3Posts: 263 Greens

Completely appreciate the setup you guys have with private/public golf courses. But because of the accessibility of the courses here in UK I wouldn't pay more than £250 ($310) for AN as I could get on the likes of The Old Course, most of the Royal courses, Open rota courses etc. for cheaper. Call me controversial but I think they're better than AN.

Posted:
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1317WRX Points: 362Handicap: 5.1Posts: 1,317 Platinum Tees

To put all the comments about "there are some rich people out there who would pay a lot for something like this" into perspective. I saw something this morning where Peyton Manning was auctioning off a round of golf with him, and you get to bring two buddies. It's all for charity of course. My first thought was "oh cool, that could be fun"

Opened the link, and the STARTING bid is $50k. And that's when I realized this auction was not meant for poor schmucks like me. And in hindsight I feel a little foolish that I thought it might have been, even if only for a few seconds.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers  3836WRX Points: 797Handicap: 8.2Posts: 3,836 Titanium Tees

Some have suggested 1 month's income. 0 chance I'd pay that much to play a round of golf anywhere.

Posted:

• CDMCDM Members  2097WRX Points: 305Posts: 2,097 Platinum Tees

Saw the opening bid price on the site and thought the same.......right now the current bid is at $65k........??? You and two friends for golf, Dinner for you and 10 friends and he comes to your home town. Wonder if he pays for dinner =)

Posted:

As to access to the AN, as everyone notes it comes down to "who you know". A friend played it once, He was national director golf course developments for one of largest home builders in the country. The home builder did a national contract with a "certain golf cart company" for all their developments and in that process he got invited to play it once. All about the money spent and connections like pretty much everything in life.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers  1787WRX Points: 755Posts: 1,787 Platinum Tees

My brother in law got on with assuming that same golf cart company a few years ago. Who knew they had so much pull (I don't know much else about the background or story), other than he is the director of golf at a pretty big public course that now uses said company for their carts.

Posted:
  • kwcsportskwcsports Nova Scotia, CanadaMembers  858WRX Points: 158Handicap: 11Posts: 858 Golden Tee

I'd pay 1000, maybe 1500.

Posted:
    WITB
    Ping G10 Driver- Matrix White Tie
    Callaway X Hot 3W- Project X
    Callaway X Hot 4H- Project X
    Lynx Parallax 5-SW- Nippon NS Pro 950GH
    Ping Eye 2 SW- DG S300
    Nike VR Forged LW- DG S300
    Ray Cook Blue Goose
    Srixon
  • JNewstedJNewsted Members  748WRX Points: 101Posts: 748 Golden Tee

If it was the all inclusive weekend type deal... 10k

If it's merely change your shoes in the parking lot, get in/get out deal... 3 to 5k

Posted:

I am sure it is the same cart company..... LOL

Really not sure what I would pay? It seems like $1000 - $1500 or is the price range most would except and I guess that might be "fair".... but then I think, I could do a Pebble, No.2, K Island or some other top locations and get in another few rounds too for the price. Not to mention what was said prior, go to Ireland / Scotland and you can play courses that have as much history if not more for less, heck 3-4 courses for that price.

The friend who played AN said it is a great track and learned why the pro's hit to specific spots for angles to the greens. Noted it might have been in the best conditions he has ever seen. That noted he said playing the course its not what he thought it would be or so envisioned. Not in a bad way all just it was different once on the course in ways then he expected. He noted probably because you always see it with people and the TV angles they show.

I had the same feeling(s) on a few courses I may have hyped up maybe much in my mind also. No.2.... love the history side of golf, following in the footsteps of the greats, but the course did not "overwhelm" me like some. PB thought the views and history were cool but the course itself, I think if you take it off the coast line, it would be just a "decent" track.

Posted:
  • SimpSimp Members  3021WRX Points: 235Posts: 3,021 Titanium Tees

$1200 today only.

Posted:
    WITB
    Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
    TM M3 15°
    Adams Idea Pro 22°
    Hogan Icons 4-P
    Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
    Callaway MD4 64°
    Ping Sigma Darby

Advertisement
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers  1787WRX Points: 755Posts: 1,787 Platinum Tees

@CDM "PB thought the views and history were cool but the course itself, I think if you take it off the coast line, it would be just a "decent" track."

That isn't an argument. The course is built around the coast. It is literally part of the course. That is like saying links courses in Scotland wouldn't be as good if they didn't have sandy firm soil or Vail wouldn't be a good ski resort if it wasn't on the mountain it was on. If you take Sand Hills and put it on the coast, tree line it and remove it from its natural minimalist beauty in Nebraska, it wouldn't be one of the best courses in the world anymore.

Back to the subject, that is just one of my biggest golf discussion pet peeves.

Posted:

I agree to some aspect on "location" and it has been said a million times about PB on WRX but I would disagree with one course you picked. Having played Sand Hills, or lets also toss in Ballyneal for that matter and keep the routing / elevations / angles and add some trees along the edges to those course and they would still be FANTASTIC. Not saying PB is not a good track but IMHO its not at those levels on a course perspective. Wife though would disagree as she thought it was the most "Beautiful" course she has seen LOL

Scotland never been, but If you had said RCD and remove the ocean aspect (Ie: PB) I could see some merit to location. Though there are 9 holes at RCD no matter where you put them will always be amazing.

EDIT: Though this thread is about AN....not PB

Posted:
  • farmerfarmer Members  8908WRX Points: 1,342Posts: 8,908 Titanium Tees

At my age, and the state of my game, I would play if a member invited me. I met a member once, and knew a number of people who worked for him. He was a giant richard, so I would need another member.

Posted:
  • sailfishchrissailfishchris Long Island NYMembers, ClubWRX  1121WRX Points: 301Handicap: 4Posts: 1,121 Platinum Tees

How much is their pimento cheese sandwich? Less than that -no bidding war 😀

Posted:
    TaylorMade M3 8.8 TPT 14 LKP LT LW Proto
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
    Mizuno JPX919 Forged 4i SuperPeening Blue X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours5-PW Super Peening Blue X
    Vokey SM7 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
    Byron Morgan Proto DH89
    Pro V1
    Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
    Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6632WRX Points: 1,923Handicap: 8Posts: 6,632 Titanium Tees

As much as I love golf I'd never spend over $500 to play any course in the world.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Titleist 818 H2 19 Hybrid
    Titleist 816 H2 23 Hybrid
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    TM ATV grind 56
    KZG Forged 60 LW
    Bettenardi Studio Stock #3 F.I.T.
    Snell MTB 

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right

Advertisement
  • MendonGolferMendonGolfer MendonGolfer Jr. Boomers  174WRX Points: 67Posts: 174 Fairways

Pinehurst 2 was the most underwhelming course I’ve played. Wouldn’t recommend.

Posted:
  • dcfasdcfas Capital Region, NY Members  1075WRX Points: 211Posts: 1,075 Platinum Tees

For god’s sake some people pay more than a grand for a tv. You wouldn’t pay more to play Augusta?!

Posted:

Mixed bag includes TM, Mizuno, Ping, Cleveland, and Guerin Rife.

I'd rather spend money on a good tv than 1 rd of golf

Posted:

Advertisement
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6632WRX Points: 1,923Handicap: 8Posts: 6,632 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Titleist 818 H2 19 Hybrid
    Titleist 816 H2 23 Hybrid
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    TM ATV grind 56
    KZG Forged 60 LW
    Bettenardi Studio Stock #3 F.I.T.
    Snell MTB 

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.