GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Tensei Orange/Hzrdus Yellow Speed Loss. Help

Josh_Chapman3 ·  
Josh_Chapman3Josh_Chapman3 Members  8WRX Points: 12Posts: 8 Bunkers

Ok, I need some help here gang...

Last year I semi fitted myself into a Cobra F9 cranked down to 7.5° with an untipped 76g Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 shaft. Mostly because the speed I picked up while tweaking and keeping the same swing weight. I like the feel but the launch and more so the spin, are just too high (averaging 13.5°/3200 ish.

Seeing the numbers and reading through the forums after the fact, I became aware that the Hzrdus Yellow is notorious for being spinny. So loving the counterbalancing and further reading through the toll bro’s reviews, among others, I went ahead and bought a 70tx Tensei Pro Orange tipped 1/4”, totally expecting to keep the spin I gained with the Hzrdus, and knock off 400-500 rpm.

What I got was 3-4mph less average swing speed, maybe 100 or so less spin, and 10 yards less of distance.

I’ve weighed both shafts (Hzrdus is 1g heavier) and the balance points are identical. Although the Tensei is clearly more firm.

I’m 30 years old, 10 handicap, 119-122 SS, up to 128-129 if I really step on it. Just past parallel at the top with a fairly aggressive tempo, and slightly early release.

Given the above info and the extra time some of us have on our hands at the moment; can someone explain to me why I might be losing so much swing speed? Thanks fellas

Posted:

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3716WRX Points: 1,731Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,716 Titanium Tees

It is likely a case of a shaft profile not fitting your timing. The balance point is similar/the same, but the profile of these shafts are practically opposites. The Pro Orange is a very linear, soft butted shaft, whereas the HZRDUS Yellow is not linear at all (big dip in mid stiffness) and much stiffer in the butt section. At your speeds, how a shaft feels in transition can be extremely important, and I would hazard a guess that you get along much better with butt stiff shafts (not uncommon for high speed players). If I had to make a recommendation based on that then i'd say the Accra TZ RPG 400 / TZ5 / TZ6 would be very good candidates. BUT....

If you're launching and spinning a 7.5* head at 13.5*/3200 then you are presenting a lot of loft and possibly striking inefficiently (low/lower). If you say you have a slightly early release then you are likely flipping to a certain extent to create that much launch with that little loft, and that is outside the realm of shaft territory with regards to fixes unfortunately. You have experienced what many people do; your swing and delivery is overriding the differences in shaft profile from a performance standpoint and you need to look elsewhere for the the bulk of your "fix". You may however have learned a very valuable bit there in possibly not getting a long with butt soft shafts. That will rule out a decent range of shafts which will make finding the right fit for you easier.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.