How much will COVID affect junior golf?

On the one hand, travel for tournaments will be significantly curtailed due to transmission concerns, and diminished finances will curb unbridled spending on lessons, training and development.

On the other hand, golf is the ultimate social distancing sport. Perhaps some athletes from affected team sports will transfer over to golf due to lower transmission risk, providing some new competition.

Thoughts?

I am no expert, but personally I am inclined to think that once this clears most people will get back to doing what they do - golf, soccer, football, whatever. Maybe in the next year there will be a slight decrease in other sports, but I think most people are very predictable and will fall back into whatever life/activities they had before. Certainly finances will be effected , but I think people put a high priority on spending money on their kids sports pursuits. Chasing the dream wont stop for most. It was a topic on a podcast I recently heard, might of been @mattwalterpga podcast - a veteran teaching pro's advice to a young pro was to specialize on teaching juniors and high level aspiring pro's......both more "recession proof" than the casual weekend golfer or beginner. My 2 cents, we'll see.

I tend to agree with this, mostly. Golf as a third or fourth sport may see a decline, but for those who have kids swinging clubs several time per week--it's hard to see that changing.

Golf as a new sport for kids, perhaps that takes a hit due to finances.

Will some kids get used clubs this year instead of the latest USKG offerings? You bet, and other corners like brand new balls vs reconditioned are also low-hanging fruit.

Semi-related, has anyone else seen the push cart selection evaporate over the last three weeks? It's reaching Bounty paper towel level.

All I can say is last time we seen a economic downturn it hurt all of golf.

i think this will be worse then it was 10 years ago. Don’t want to sound pessimistic but we are already in a major economic depression.

It depends how long it lasts. If we are shut down for another 30-60 days it going to be a hard road back.

I am very committed to having my kids golf more then most people and honestly I am reluctant for a host of reasons to play tournaments. For me it’s local and maybe state level. In a lot cases playing anything that isn’t a few hours away is not something I want to deal with. My expectation is this year is a not going to be as active.

I also think we see different tours who may been successful collapse or just fade away. We are also going to see a huge decrease in instructors as academy’s and courses shut down for good. A lot resorts and courses will probably be bankrupt and some will close despite being well run.

in a year two junior golf is going to be a lot smaller.

I hear people say courses are going to struggle here in Texas you can't get a tee time unless its weeks out. Maybe a single gets thrown in with a 3 some. The two courses we are members at are slammed, and they are especially frown upon juniors right now. I suppose it's good for golf and the industry but where the HELL are all those hacks coming from? Go back to work people. Kidding of course but its very interesting to watch how busy local courses have been.

Here is the thing the local public reasonably priced golf courses are always slammed and alway will be. The courses in populated areas are closed. This is not good for those courses at all.

The courses in populated areas have very high likelihood of bankruptcy in the not to distant future. If there golf course is worth more to sell as development they will not have choice to keep it open.. A lot courses in places like Miami for instance are in this situation and prime targets to close.

you also will have lot private clubs that just will not be sustainable and will close and sell for housing. It was already happening but the push will be even greater.

A lot changes for sure in the long run.

Different counties should work together and open many courses at once. Will help spread out the herd and help with social distancing -

im actually purchasing my daughters next set of clubs now as I have seen some real good deals online.

Any trips that require Airplane travel are not happening this year for us. For example uskids worlds I’m sure if we went we’d be fine taking certain precautions but for us it is a family vacation and is expensive trip for our family. If I’m gonna spend that kind of money I don’t want the hassle of social distancing (smaller field, maybe reduced pool time, maybe no parade, maybe cancelling of award ceremony. For the price of the trip I want the full experience and if I can’t have that I don’t think the value is there for me.)

my thoughts

Our muni course has a cool provision on the books that if the city can't keep it open and deems it to be too much of a loss on the books that the course and the land all go back to the family. The city either has to keep it open or give it back.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I tend to agree with Tiger on this. As you move into 2-3 day tournaments with extensive travel, I see less kids playing. The economic impact this has on dropping a grand for a weekend will be limited. You already see less people signing up for AJGA events.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

At this point kids just want to play no matter what the tournament is. I think you will see this trend more and more. If I don't have to stay in a hotel for 3 nights I will save $300.00+. Not eating out for two days is another $100.00+ saved. A lot less expensive to spend $100 for a weekend tournament locally and just travel back and forth. At that point it is just packed lunch and fuel.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on the medium to long-term impact on various youth sports?

Putting the financial considerations (which are significant) aside, will junior golf benefit on a relative basis vs other high-cost sports (especially team sports?) which involve close personal contact due to the social distancing that is now the norm and probably here to stay?

I would think Junior golf is in a better place right now. Youth sports teams have more people (and other people) involved.

You as a junior golfer can pivot if a tournament cancels or something happens fairly easy. Son has been on travel baseball teams. Team tried to play in tournaments that a few teams drop from. The whole thing turns into a wash.

I see it effecting the team sports world more than the golf world. Organizing for 12-15 kids is difficult. Organizing for 1 is easy though we make it seem difficult.

Golf is the most expensive sport to play. Lacrosse is right up there with it. I think the impact on sports all around is going to be huge. I think it is going to impact team sports more than Golf. Most Golf kids are middle class to upper class in golf. While many of the parents will take a hit financially, it is going to mean less tournaments while playing primarily local tournaments. With team sports like baseball or basketball you have lower to upper class playing. Those lower class kids aren't going to be able to afford to go play. I think you will see more teams trying to raise money outside of Supermarkets. This is going to mean less tournaments for them. I think it will bring back a little more of the value of playing sports in high school.

On a side note, does anyone else refuse to give money to people outside of Supermarkets Begging? To me they are the same as a pan handler. I remember when we had to raise money doing car washes, laying mulch for people, and various other fundraisers rather than just begging. Begging in front of the Market teaches a kid nothing about the value of some elbow grease.

Ok so it's not just me. I watch kids almost tackle you to beg for money. The parents are there shooting the ****. Like kid save some birthday or cut some grass (gasp) or have your parents pay 100% of your cost. Just leave me alone.

We're (un)lucky get some snow during the winter. My kids have racked in $500 each during a snowstorm before. The older lady down the street doesnt mind shelling out 50 bucks for you to clear her driveway and sidewalks.

Can assure you it is just not you.

We own a family owned Sporting Goods Business that covers about 8 counties on the team side. We are a medium sized team dealer. If you knew how many calls we get a day from people wanting donations for their sports teams. We definitely sponsor teams in leagues that do their business with us. I can't believe the gall of people to ask, however, when they buy nothing from us and just order online. Ordering online usually costs more as well.

I know you and I are going down a rabbit hole, but for sure there are chances to make money. You have to stand firm that Mommy and Daddy arent giving a 100 bucks a week for allowance.

Both of my boys (20) and (17) now were raking in the dough at an early age. Example earlier was shoveling snow. Most kids were done after their own house or maybe one house.

Both of them had repeat customers. When the forecast called for snow the older ladies were already emailing or texting them. My golfing son one winter pulled in over 1K. I think he was 12 or 13.

That spring he umpired for baseball. I think he was paid 20 bucks a game. The money is out there just have to want to work for it.

But I agree to many people would rather gofundme (probably a NCAA violation) unless you have a CPA doing the books or just beg in front of a store.